Wing Commander Flat Universe

Destiny's Way is the one and only official printed magazine on Daedalus Station.
This months special edition of Destiny's Way has an interesting article regarding the history of WC CIC.

6511-6af136bf727130a4275a114b46d271b3.jpg
6512-09f59b5e9be6e54b35e7adcb0316b8b7.jpg
6513-04016a5312ba1113f319f8ea37de47dc.jpg

If any wingnut of you is interested to download the whole pdf of this months issue, you can find a download link on the news section to the following url:

http//flatuniverse.solsector.net

the MaslasBros wish..

HAPPY 15th BIRTHDAY CIC!!!

Attachments

• dway1-page001.jpg
    dway1-page001.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 150
  • dway1-page002.jpg
    dway1-page002.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 143
  • dway1-page003.jpg
    dway1-page003.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 152
The second issue of Destiny's Way has been published and it is available for download in the News Feed section of the Daedalus Station website:
http://flatuniverse.solsector.net/

Article Writers Requested

Destiny's Way Editorial is open for articles

Let me be straightforward with this. The last two months we (the brothers) are trying to publish this small magazine to keep alive the spirit of FlatUniverse and also have fun with this project.
However, we are only the two of us trying to develop the game, update the webpage, print this magazine which is only 3-4 pages (pushing for monthly issues) and see our families.
If any fellow WingNut is interested in publishing any article, comic (like the one that ninja is creating for example), promote his project in a way of interview or has any other interesting idea just contact us through this forum or to one of the following ways:
http://flatuniverse.solsector.net/comms.html
With your help we believe that we could print this magazine with more rich content and more pages.

the
MaslasBros

The third issue of Destiny's Way has been published and it is available for download in the News Feed section of the Daedalus Station website:
http://flatuniverse.solsector.net/

Dear WingNuts,

our editorial is still open for article submissions. For those of you who are interested, you may reach us through the options of the following link:
http://flatuniverse.solsector.net/comms.html
For your interest, I am happy to inform you that from the start of this month, another member has joined our team. Now, we are three!
We hope that things will speed up a little from now and on. However, we promise that until the end of this year we will have prepared our gifts for you.
Never forget that our basic goal is to have FUN!

the
MaslasBros

So, finally sat down and read these. Layout looks really sharp. Lots of improvement issue to issue, great job! And the Pliers dialog was fantastic: I don't know if it's just how well that character resonated with me in WCIV, but even through the language barrier, I really could hear the original actor reading those lines! I'd love to hear more about Daedalus Station (second largest undertaking by Confed).

Dear WingNuts,

We promised in our last post that we will have prepared a Christmas present for you on time. And we did.
A new section is open in our web page with a new special edition Christmas issue of Destiny's Way.
Go check and tell us about your impressions.
http://flatuniverse.solsector.net
Meanwhile, we are struggling to prepare for a new and a lot more enjoying new year's eve present. So please wish us luck and that we gonna make it on time!!!

Merry Christmas from,

the MaslasBros

Dear WingNuts,
We are very sorry for our delayed answer but we spent the last few days with our families and by sticking to this fact, HAPPY NEW YEAR! to every single person on this planet.
Last year, Afrim, asked a question about our progress. I'll reveal you a few points regarding the gameplay:

1. Space flight model is 100% complete. Tested on fighters and capital ships.
2. Space environment and physics behaviour 100% complete.
3. Weapon systems is 25% complete.
4. Animations, particles and other lighting stuff 25% complete.
5. Damage modelling, Shields, Capacitors 10% complete. There will be damages, shields and capacitors just like in Wing Commander. We don't like the idea of "life-bars" or "respawns".
6. HUDs and HUD systems (Radars, Comms, Nav etc.) 2% complete.
7. AI 0%.

With a little patience for the next few days you might have a cleaner picture from our progress.

the MaslasBros

Last edited:
It sounds like you are making good progress so far--I hope that in a few months we will be able to see more.

awww teaser! I thought it was a playable demo. The attention to detail in this is amazing guys. I'm really impressed so far.

I just checked out your non-playable-demo.
I am heavily impressed by all aspects of your project.
Great website, amazing visuals in the game, perfect music.

If I may ask: how do you script the gameflow? By directly editing text-files or did you create some editing tools?

Thank you very much for your vote of approval!

awww teaser! I thought it was a playable demo. The attention to detail in this is amazing guys. I'm really impressed so far.

Don't worry we hope that at our next release we would include our first playable part of the project.

I just checked out your non-playable-demo.
I am heavily impressed by all aspects of your project.
Great website, amazing visuals in the game, perfect music.

If I may ask: how do you script the gameflow? By directly editing text-files or did you create some editing tools?

Since early November we moved our development from the RUBY and GOSU based engine (which by the way is an excellent combination for smaller projects) to UNITY game engine environment. This allowed us to accelerate our production significantly. Now as far as the action scripting is concerned we used the internal “animator” tool of the game engine, which in turn creates editable text files for each action or group of actions.

Thanks for making the 'demo' multiplatform! Most of the CIC staff has switched their everyday personal machines over to Macs over the last couple years, so this makes things very convenient.

I've started the demo and I'm impressed already.
The recreation of the OriginFX sequence, the graphics, the sound, the re-orchestrated WC1 theme.. everything just great. :)

I also find it cool that you decided to create a non-playable demo out of it. Currently I don't know anybody who still creates them nowadays. :)

Thanks for making the 'demo' multiplatform! Most of the CIC staff has switched their everyday personal machines over to Macs over the last couple years, so this makes things very convenient.
We're glad you like it. Being multiplatform was and is one of the prerequisites for this project.

I've started the demo and I'm impressed already.
The recreation of the OriginFX sequence, the graphics, the sound, the re-orchestrated WC1 theme.. everything just great. :)

I also find it cool that you decided to create a non-playable demo out of it. Currently I don't know anybody who still creates them nowadays. :)
Thank you very much. What can I say, I guess we are really old-school...

Last edited:
Neat demo! One question: I see the Hornet in the demo flying "above" and "below" some of the asteroids, implying that the asteroids are not all in the same 2-D plane. However, since some of the asteroids bounce off of the shields, it is also clear that it is possible to collide with some of them. My question is this: how will we be able to tell if an asteroid "in front" of us is a collision hazard or not? The same question would probably apply to minefields and other collision hazards.

Back