Windows 10 Update Broke WCP:SO?

DefianceIndustries

Rear Admiral
Anyone else have an issue with this? The latest Microsoft updates ran last night and this morning Secret Ops takes forever to boot and then hangs once it gets to the main room file, the game won't accept input from the mouse, keyboard, or controller. I tried a few different compatibility options but no luck. I also ran into the same issue on my GOG installs. The compatibility manager now refers to it as an incompatible program.

I have a sneaking suspicion this might be related to the Open/GL patch, but I'll have to re-download a vanilla GOG install to test my theory.

I'm running it on an 64-bit Windows 10 install.

Anyone else have an issue with this? The latest Microsoft updates ran last night and this morning Secret Ops takes forever to boot and then hangs once it gets to the main room file, the game won't accept input from the mouse, keyboard, or controller. I tried a few different compatibility options but no luck. I also ran into the same issue on my GOG installs. The compatibility manager now refers to it as an incompatible program.

I have a sneaking suspicion this might be related to the Open/GL patch, but I'll have to re-download a vanilla GOG install to test my theory.

I'm running it on an 64-bit Windows 10 install.
I will also test this when I get home.

I just installed Secret Ops from GOG, seems to work fine. I'll install the OpenGL patch and give an update a little later.

Edit- downloaded the OpenGL from the wcnews section and installed it. Still seems to be working.

I have all windows updates installed, Windows 10 64 bit. Standard release, ie I'm not in the Windows Insider program.

Last edited:
No luck, fresh installs yielded the same result. tried without the open GL patch and it ran but only barely. ran into some other issues so its likely my PC got a bum update... yay.

Maybe a Nvidia Driver Update or something, which sometimes are distributed by Window Update? In short, something machine-specific...

No luck, fresh installs yielded the same result. tried without the open GL patch and it ran but only barely. ran into some other issues so its likely my PC got a bum update... yay.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news @DefianceIndustries, but fresh vanilla reinstall of GOG's WCP:SO and using the OpenGL patch from this post: https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/complete-wc-gog-fixes-and-tweaks.27176/

The game spooled up no problem with full Glide, 1080p rez, full AA and anisotropic filtering, all effects enabled. Instantly recognizied by both my Logitech 3D Pro software as well as my Dualshock 3 using a xbox software controller wrapper.

You are downloading the OpenGL patch for WCP:SO from the first post correct? The other patches are recommended downloaded from the page 2 post from @TCSTigersClaw

Here's my specs:
Win 10 Pro x64 (ran windows update just to be sure... only downloaded a new WinDefender definition pack.)
i7 5820k @4 GHz
Asrock Extreme4 mobo
Zotac 980 Ti
16 GB DDR4
Game installed to an 850 EVO 500 GB
Using latest NVidia (non-beta) driver

Have you perhaps installed the various runtime libraries that DON'T come with Windows 10? Try this: http://www.sereby.org/site/aio

It's in German but works internationally.

Good luck brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a Nvidia Driver Update or something, which sometimes are distributed by Window Update? In short, something machine-specific...

I refreshed my Nvidia drivers and still the same issue persists. It's probably just my box at this point. I also ran into a few other oddities so I just restored the box. Haven't had a chance to test anything yet, I'll let you know what comes up.

I have no idea so I'm thinking of wacky possibilities. Here is something that happened to me. Once I put in bad ram in the computer certain applications kept crashing or wouldn't load up or run properly. Unfortunately I found out it was bad ram from a mem test long after I trashed the OS trying to get at the root of the problem. I would have thought usually when ram is bad, it won't even boot up. But there you have it...

I had to basically do a clean Win 10 install but it solved the problem. The logging on the older app crashing is pretty scant so I couldn't find which of the updates in the Microsoft KB article I would need to roll back and reinstall. So now I'm getting all my software in place, but at least I'm back in business...

GRRRRR!! its back again. I've narrowed the issue down to the Windows 1511 update, but I have no idea how to fix the issue. It also seems to just be me, which is even more frustrating. Graphics and audio drivers are current, and I've even tried going so far as to flash my MOBO bios, but I still get the same issue. I think its somehow tied to the compatibility settings, the game only "runs" in either win 95 or 98 modes, any of the XP modes causes the game to crash on load (it simply fails to start), but I can't get any logging to figure this out. It also crashes either the GOG version running the glide wrapper or the CIC version running open GL, so it has to be the EXE itself.

I guess you just can't uninstall the update like you can in previous versions of windows, can you? God, I hate windows 10 with a passion. I like to control my computer, not the other way around.

Could it possibly have something to do with the Vulkan rollout?
Edit: Nevermind. It seems to be working fine on 8.1, which is the closest I'm willing to go to 10.

Last edited:
I just checked again, I am running a fully patched Win10 PC here and SecretOps and Standoff run fine... without any compatibility setting.

Yeah...windows 10 has done some weird things. I have 3 pcs all with windows 10 now and each of them have had there separate odd unique issues like this. One example was everytime i right clicked on any file my computer would lock up. Only on one out of 3 pcs. That problem took a lot of research and multiple fix methods til i got it fixed. I like windows 10 when it works.

I guess you just can't uninstall the update like you can in previous versions of windows, can you? God, I hate windows 10 with a passion. I like to control my computer, not the other way around.

Could it possibly have something to do with the Vulkan rollout?
Edit: Nevermind. It seems to be working fine on 8.1, which is the closest I'm willing to go to 10.

Actually you can, and when I uninstall 1511 WCP:SO runs fine. However 1511 is considered a critical update so it automatically reinstalls itself a day or two later.

I just checked again, I am running a fully patched Win10 PC here and SecretOps and Standoff run fine... without any compatibility setting.

Hmmm I haven't tried it without any compatibility modes. I'll have to check it when I get home today.

Back