Wild Goose Chase on Privateer

Privateer 3 would be a cult classic. It wouldn't sell all that much, but people would still be playing it a lot.

Acadamy was fun
Academy had no plot or campain and for me that was big minus :( . So overall I played it 25 min and deleted it. As for Privateer, it was the first real SVGA game I ever played :rolleyes: , before that was Prince of Persia and Lemmings :D .

Delance, EA cares nothing for cult games. They want people to BUY the game, they don't give a fuck if anyone actually plays it. Hence, EA Sports.

Yeah, how dare a company want to make money to pay bills. They should do games that have just about no chance of recouping expenses.

Furthermore, one must argue that whatever game *sells* the most is also the one being *enjoyed* by the most people...

I know how you internetziens love your conspiracies and your adorable little rages against the machine, but this is even dumber than most.

Time wasters? A buddy of mine told me, at the time, that you could actually find the Concordia drifting in the asteroids somewhere. As soon as I ran out of other things to do, I became absolutely obsessed. Never could locate it though... so sad.

Delance said:
I was being ironic, as the resident Laissez Faire defender of this forum.

Hate to sound stupid, but what is Laissez Faire? That sounds very familiar to me.

I looked everywhere in Privateer for a bartender that didn't look like all the male bartenders and ship dealers in the game (they even used his face for the sociologist, informant, and the guy on the Retro base). But I found this one bartender chick on a pleasure planet.

Shipgate said:
Hate to sound stupid, but what is Laissez Faire? That sounds very familiar to me.

It means you should leave the economy alone, like on a free market capitalism with minimal intervention.

SpaceDrake said:
A fair amount. Red herrings are evil. :p

It ended up being the derelict base.

Dyret said:
Don't be stupid. :(

That's not stupid at all. In Righteous Fire you actually get to the final encounter by pointing towards the background image moon and flying for a while.

Death said:
Yeah, how dare a company want to make money to pay bills. They should do games that have just about no chance of recouping expenses.

That's too much of a simplification. There's a wide range of space between platinum sellers and wastes of money. EA (or more specifically, it's pre EA Games subsidiaries to a larger extent) used to play the spectrum quite a bit. If you control costs, make a good game and market it well, it's not going to be a financial mistake. And once in a while you'll have a surprise hit that multiplies your investment to a significant degree. These days it's quite apparent EA is far more interested in the proven blockbusters, sports titles, movie licenses and so on, for a variety of reasons. They could make Privateer 3 right now, make it a decent game and make a decent amount of profit on it. But they don't think it would be a million seller. The last few years for EA have been partly about building a reputation for making platinum selling titles. Their stock price, marketing image and so on reflects this. This provides them leverage in getting the licenses to additional franchises and capital for acquiring other developers. Right now EA is the biggest and best third party game publisher in many ways, but in so doing they no longer make a lot of games that their old subsidiaries would have been happy to produce were they on their own.

ChrisReid said:
In Righteous Fire you actually get to the final encounter by pointing towards the background image moon and flying for a while.
And that was pretty cool. I remember the first time I played that mission, I took off from the planet, looked at my nav map, and thought "Well, now what? They can't have meant that literally." :p

It'd have been cool if some of the exploratory services missions in Priv took some blind flying like in that RF mission.

Fruitcake said:
Don't. Mighty LOAF will close the thread.

He was answering a direct question, not trying to take the thread into a political direction.

And speaking of "Don't"...

Don't play moderator unless you are one.

Back