Wild Goose Chase on Privateer

Delance

Victory, you say?
How many time did you lose actually trying to:

... locate the secret weapons depot?

... tring to find a way out of Gemini, either to Kilrathi or Confed space?

I tried seeing how long I could survive patroling the 3 kilrathi held Sectors.....It was a long time before I died. 40 kills in 1 hour.

For a long time after playing it I couldn't figure out how to jump to other systems. For some reason back then I didn't understand the manual's instructions. One day I called technical support and some worker there just told me how to do it even though that wasn't really his job.

Another thing I tried doing was blowing up bases. You can fire a bunch of torpedoes or missiles I've noticed and you see like a few pixels go orange and red.

I really really hated the asteroids in Privateer. Although I think it would've been easier if I had the joystick I have nowadays - Sidewinder 3D Pro - instead of that Gravis piece of rubbish.

Delance said:
... locate the secret weapons depot?

A fair amount. Red herrings are evil. :p

... tring to find a way out of Gemini, either to Kilrathi or Confed space?

I was sharp enough even at 15 to realize the scope of the game was limited to the Gemini sector. I was always pulling for a sequel that would take place nearer to Sol, or include the whole human sphere.

... I'm sad now. :(

SpaceDrake said:
I was sharp enough even at 15 to realize the scope of the game was limited to the Gemini sector.

As was I (nya nya na nya nya), although I mostly infered that from the nav maps having no jump lines out of Gemini. For that matter, the mention in the manual of out hero travelling "to Gemini" on a freighter bothered me, since I couldn't figure out how it could get there if there were no jump lines (causing me to speculate on whether there was some other means of getting places, such as just pointing your ship there and waiting a long time).

heh, spent a lot of time looking for the secret weapons asteroid. I was friendly with the kilrathi (didn't kill any until the delta prime missions), so it wasn't a big problem travelling the kilrathi sectors. It was fun having friendly chats with the cats :p

Sadly, no luck with that asteroid :( Damn bartenders....

Zhakrin

SoulSkorpion said:
(causing me to speculate on whether there was some other means of getting places, such as just pointing your ship there and waiting a long time).

Don't be stupid. :(

Dyret said:
Don't be stupid. :(
Hey, it would work. After all, there were other references in the story to getting to Gemini "being no day trip", or words to that effect. Judging by the universe map, there are some systems near the Sol system which we know of as star systems irl (Alpha Centauri, Proxima Centauri, Sirius etc), so we can infer that jumping isn't "alternate dimension" travelling and that the source and the desination lie on the same plane of existance. And it's not implausible that a culture that posesses jump technology also posesses some other very fast means of travel (hypothetically^2 speaking).

SoulSkorpion said:
As was I (nya nya na nya nya), although I mostly infered that from the nav maps having no jump lines out of Gemini. For that matter, the mention in the manual of out hero travelling "to Gemini" on a freighter bothered me, since I couldn't figure out how it could get there if there were no jump lines (causing me to speculate on whether there was some other means of getting places, such as just pointing your ship there and waiting a long time).

Travel methods like that were used before Akwende-type jump drives became common - Leto, which is a planet in Proxima Centauri, was settled in just that fashion. However, Gemini did have jump lines leading out of it... but given that the game's scope was limited to Gemini (as were the maps we got), there was no reason to draw in those other jump lines.

SoulSkorpion said:
Hey, it would work. After all, there were other references in the story to getting to Gemini "being no day trip", or words to that effect. Judging by the universe map, there are some systems near the Sol system which we know of as star systems irl (Alpha Centauri, Proxima Centauri, Sirius etc), so we can infer that jumping isn't "alternate dimension" travelling and that the source and the desination lie on the same plane of existance. And it's not implausible that a culture that posesses jump technology also posesses some other very fast means of travel (hypothetically^2 speaking).

The only other hyperdrive we know of, at least in WC, is the Moravan 'hopper' drive, which allows a ship to move across space a lot faster... but not instantaneously the way the jump drive does. It also cannot be used anywhere NEAR a solar system's gravity well (at least, not the traditional Moravan drives, which is all Confed possesses). They do have travel at 10000kps+ speeds for crossing distances in system, but at those speeds you're still talking about small, small fractions of lightspeed.

But to assume that, just because you possess one means of fast travel, means that you have another is like saying that just because they had trains in the 1800s that they also had planes and teleportation devices. Possessing one technology does not mean that you will necessarily know of, or be able to use, other technologies with similar functionality.

I'm pretty sure SoulSkorpion was thinking logically based on the information available to him at the time.

Ridgerunner said:
Check out Ripper's Privateer 3 threads. :D

*Sighs*....dont remind me of that....it makes me depressed with sadness also.

I, like many of us im betting, was hoping for a sequel where you got to explore eather a brand new sector also. Or perhapes the option of being in Gemini and having the option of leaving and going off to another one. I also realized you couldn't when I was young also playing Privateer for the first time through.
That was probably one of the biggest disapointments I had with Privateer 2. You were stuck in dinky-little Tri Sector. Nothing to explore and discover on your own, which killed it for me when it came to the acual game play. I figured with a sequel, and a newer game, you would have more options out there.

Back