Why did you pick your name?

Originally posted by bw_dave
Originally posted by Quarto
Crusader is an awesome game... probably the only non-first-person shooter that I really got into.
Besides Wing Commander - right?
Well, no :). I most certainly did get into WC, but I don't really consider it a shooter, so it's irrelevant to this discussion.

Originally posted by $tormin
Some of you have interesting names and i wanted to know why you chose them.
mpanty is an americanisation of my name, which is Marco Pantanella...

Actually, there's a funny story behind turning "Pantanella" into "panty"...
I used to play Grand Prix and The Cycles from Accolade, back in 1991... very ooooold games I tell ya (whooops, Wing Commander... :D)
In any case, these were Grand Prix games, one for Formula 1, the other for motorcycling. And you know... there was a spot where you could enter your name...

Well I tried to put my full name, but it just didn't fit... so I had to shorten it... and coincidentally I chose to americanise it (at that time, I didn't know what "panty" meant in English... :)), and it became "Marc Panty".

So later, even for my WC2 full name, I chose Marc Panty, and "Keen" for callsign...
"mpanty" is just simpler and shorter, and that's the whole story... <G>

But what about "$tormin"??? Where can that come from? <G>

[Edited by mpanty on 05-11-2001 at 10:11]

Originally posted by mpanty
[But what about "$tormin"??? Where can that come from? <G>

[Edited by mpanty on 05-11-2001 at 10:11] [/B]

my original wing commander callsign was killer but that was too unoriginal. when i got the internet i was playing diablo under the name of Northof49. then i decided $tormin would be better. its been my only name (including variants) since then

Excelsis, is Latin and it means "the Highest." I think it's pretty appropriate for being the best pilot in Confed. :D

My nick, it is a small bastardazation of the name of my favorite animal.

For my whole life I have loved wolves. When I started playing Wing Commander and other flight sims, I decided that I would use a callsign that had to do with wolves. I chose to name myself after the after the gray wolf. Gray is also a color that people relate with knowledge because old people have gray hair.

(...) then i decided $tormin would be better. its been my only name (including variants) since then
But we still don't know why you changed your name from Northof49 to $tormin, and *why* "$tormin"? :)

Re: Casey's callsign...

Heh, I always used "Ice Boy." Get it?

P.S. I am the only Dralthi V. :) (I think)

[Edited by Dralthi5 on 05-11-2001 at 17:49]

Originally posted by mpanty
(...) then i decided $tormin would be better. its been my only name (including variants) since then
But we still don't know why you changed your name from Northof49 to $tormin, and *why* "$tormin"? :)

Stormrunner is a minor character in one of my novels, Dark Quest (age of darkness book 1) the $ is just somthing that seemed original.
i dropped northof49 because people thought it ment that i was over fifty, not that i was canadin.

yes i write. but i havent had any published. im going to wait untill i have a job before publishing. i have met writers that had thier lives destroyed because they put too much hope into thier books and had them dashed :(

same here. i wrote the age of darkness 1-3 and am working on the fourth.
i wrote the terrans saga books 1-6
and i am writing "Before the storm"

Dang man, that sounds impressive. I write a bunch of short stories but only half of them have i ever finished. Makes me look like a pile a puke:)

I know the feeling.. I write for an online club, and they're basically short stories, but I get lazy from time to time and simply don't finish them... Good thing they're not the point of the club :p

Back