Who is Lightspeed?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You know what'd be sweet? If the VDU in Kilrathi Saga of *any* ship were to show shields... <G>
Umm, they do for me :p. Both WC1 and 2 show shields just fine in KSaga, with the notable exception of the Ferret, which doesn't show them... but that's not a bug, it's a feature.

You know what'd be sweet? If the VDU in Kilrathi Saga of *any* ship were to show shields... <G>

I think what he means is the display on the left-hand side of the cockpit that shows how much damage your systems have taken. This would mean that there would be shield brackets around your ship and green/yellow/red coloration of the quadrants of your hull to indicate armor damage.

As for quantatative measurements of your current shields and armor, all ships in WC1/2 have the special shield/armor status indicators, whereas ships in WC3/4/P use the graphical representation of your ship.

Originally posted by Quarto

Umm, they do for me :p. Both WC1 and 2 show shields just fine in KSaga, with the notable exception of the Ferret, which doesn't show them... but that's not a bug, it's a feature.

... so it works, except when it doesn't...?

... so it works, except when it doesn't...?
That's one way of putting it. It doesn't work with the Ferret on purpose - the Ferret's computer system is somewhat limited compared to the other ships. Note, for example, the lack of ITTS. Now, I don't know why exactly they decided to add the lack of shield data to the KS Ferret, but I think it's very appropriate. And, if it was a bug, it'd most likely be present for all ships.

That's one way of putting it. It doesn't work with the Ferret on purpose - the Ferret's computer system is somewhat limited compared to the other ships. Note, for example, the lack of ITTS. Now, I don't know why exactly they decided to add the lack of shield data to the KS Ferret, but I think it's very appropriate. And, if it was a bug, it'd most likely be present for all ships.

That doesn't begin to make half a lick of sense. It's a known bug... not a crazy plan.

That doesn't begin to make half a lick of sense. It's a known bug... not a crazy plan.
Unless someone from Origin specifically said it's a bug, I severely doubt it. Why? Because such a bug makes no sense whatsoever. If it was a bug in the engine, it would occur for all ships. It doesn't. The other option is a bug in the ship file. This is actually possible, but clearly not true - the ship files are identical to the original WC2 ship files, and therefore the bug would have also occured in the original WC2.

Unless someone from Origin specifically said it's a bug, I severely doubt it. Why? Because such a bug makes no sense whatsoever. If it was a bug in the engine, it would occur for all ships. It doesn't. The other option is a bug in the ship file. This is actually possible, but clearly not true - the ship files are identical to the original WC2 ship files, and therefore the bug would have also occured in the original WC2.

And yet it didn't.

Had you been around when Kilrathi Saga came out you'd be familiar with the fact that we all bitched and moaned and were told that they were too busy to patch this *bug*.

I seem to recall that it has something to do with overlooking the fact that the Ferret has only one VDU when adding the invisible cockpit mode...

Ah, the invisible cockpits. I won't try to understand how these would be affected by the Ferret's single VDU, but it certainly would be enough of an opportunity for a bug to sneak in.
In answer to your question Wedge... the same thing that happens to any other fighter, minus the shield display :p.

yea, im not too big on the invisible cockpit option i like realism, that was one thing i hated on WC4 In KS it does give you a better view of the enemy It was especially helpful in the Valgard System when i had to defend the Claw

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

Ehh, as LOAF pointed out, cockpits are better for making it easier to distinguish between different ships.

I used to enjoy the 'realism' of having cockpits, but after playing WC3, I've always turned cockpits off. Too, some cockpits take up more room than others.

Originally posted by Loozer
yea, im not too big on the invisible cockpit option i like realism,

Think of it this way. Everything you see on your screen is exactly what you'd see if you kept your eyes locked on the exact center of your HUD.

Back