Who is Lightspeed?

BlueClaw

Spaceman
In the Wing Commander Academy game manual there's a character called Lightspeed in the Wingman Profiles section, among aces like Angel, Maniac and Hobbes. His portrait appears to be from a Wing Commander 2 style cutscene, but I've never seen him before in any other game except Academy. Since WCA didn't have any deep story line or cutscenes, I'm wondering from what game, if any, they got his picture from. Has Lightspeed ever appeared in any other Wing Commander game?

Well, In gauntlet mode of Armada, you do get a similar pilot named 'Litespeed'.... Well, I seriously doubt he's in any other WC... he's just your generic-expendable WC2 era pilot.

Nope, he's not from anywhere else -- my bet would be that he was a WC2 character that got cut or somebody from the third WC2 addon that never got used.

Well, actually, by the way he talks in WC 2 "You're still the master!", "No! You Cant be a traitor!!"

He sounds like the prototype for Catscratch really... the hopeful, 'Blair is my hero' rookie who probably dies and makes Blair feel bad. He sure sounds like it.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Nope, he's not from anywhere else -- my bet would be that he was a WC2 character that got cut or somebody from the third WC2 addon that never got used.

WHOA there was a 3rd WC2 addon that got canceled, any knowledge of its story?

Hi,

As I recall, Lightspeed was called Brian Lombard and was related to the character who wrote the training manual in WC Academy. Besides that, never saw or heard of him.

Cheers

LOAF mentioned some third Special Operation add-on which would have taken place between SO1 and SO2. I don't think there was much in the way of details, or we'd arguing about why it's SO3 not SO2 (much like Episode IV with SW).

The character Litespeed was actually referred to in the Armada manual as a replication of the stereotypical rookie pilot, modeled after the "author's" own brother who was killed in action on his first few missons.

Originally posted by Wedge009
LOAF mentioned some third Special Operation add-on which would have taken place between SO1 and SO2. I don't think there was much in the way of details, or we'd arguing about why it's SO3 not SO2 (much like Episode IV with SW).

It wouldn't have been SO3 if it'd been made <G> What's now SO2 would...

Er, that's what I meant. Had they developed the original SO2, and cut it at a much later stage in development, we may have been stuck with SO1 and SO3...

TC's entire knowledge of SO3:

Steve/Origin: So, other questions about Wing II?

Stephen N Freed: When are the Special Operation disks coming?

john: when are the Special Ops Disks due out?

Steve/Origin: I'm directing the first Special Ops disk... it's not definite yet, but we hope to ship it for Christmas. No release date yet for Special Ops 2 or 3.

john: 3?

Stephen N Freed: Special Ops3?

Steve/Origin: Yes, there are three Special Ops currently on the schedule.

Someone later goes on to suggest that the VDU displaying your own ship should show armor and shields... I very much like that person...

Originally posted by TC
TC's entire knowledge of SO3:

Someone later goes on to suggest that the VDU displaying your own ship should show armor and shields... I very much like that person...

You know what'd be sweet? If the VDU in Kilrathi Saga of *any* ship were to show shields... <G>

KS doesn't show shields? Does that happen in WC3 as well?

What does it matter, anyway - just keep shooting 'til the furball karks it. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

You know what'd be sweet? If the VDU in Kilrathi Saga of *any* ship were to show shields... <G>

Were there sheild status VDU's on the DOS game? That would have been nice, so you could fire on the weakest sheild points. Though when your firing at the bitmaps in WC1/2, I think the AI just randomly hits fore and aft shields, just to make Kilrathi harder to kill and to piss you off.

C-ya

Originally posted by Viper61

Were there sheild status VDU's on the DOS game? That would have been nice, so you could fire on the weakest sheild points. Though when your firing at the bitmaps in WC1/2, I think the AI just randomly hits fore and aft shields, just to make Kilrathi harder to kill and to piss you off.

C-ya

Sorry
meant to have a little j/k smily face after "piss you off" :).

There aren't shield/armor status indicators in the KS version of WC1 or 2? There are in the DOS versions... that little square which shows your shields and armor depleting as you take hits.

Back