What's your favorite Maniac moment?

Chicken

Spaceman
I've just been playing Wing Commander IV again and brings some great memories of Maniac doing something stupid, but I'm wondering what your favorite Maniac moments, in the movies and actual gameplay (Maniac is responsible for ramming into me during the last mission in WC3 before I could reach Kilrah).

on the first mission he flew on my wing, he was immediately destroyed by a wave of laser fire from a jalthi.

that was pretty entertaining.

i can't remember much from three and four, all interaction with him seems the same.

For some reason, I always get a laugh when he beats Vagabond in poker in WC4, even though it foreshadows Vagabond's death. Or any scene in SO2 where he has that ridiculous haircut and those goofy earrings.

The WC3 "Does he pet you like that?" line that he gives to Flint after Blair pats him on the arm is my favorite.

I'd say having him talk about his ESC-5 missile (or was it ESC-10?)

Hehe - when he cheerfully tells me I'm flying around with a tactical nuke under the cockpit. (SO1, i think). Maniac WC2 era was FUN. What happened to him in WC3? He kinda went all whiney, like he was there for the player to show up and feel good about it afterwards... unless that's just me..

well, not sure if this counts since it's more a Tom Wilson moment... but I can recall falling off my chair to "Isn't that the guy from starwars?"

Sticking with Maniac, I'd have to say his dumbest move was trying to defend accidentally blowing up a Drayman in WC1

CptnEisen said:
well, not sure if this counts since it's more a Tom Wilson moment... but I can recall falling off my chair to "Isn't that the guy from starwars?"
yes, one of the best outtakes I know

What I too like was the Briefing-Sequence from WC1
Halcyon: giving "me" and Maniac our Missionorder … and if Maniac gives you any static… you have my permission to shoot him to pieces.
Maverick: Should I use missiles, sir, or ship’s guns?
Halcyon: Guns, Maverick. Save your missiles for important targets.
Maniac: What?

Mad Cow said:
For some reason, I always get a laugh when he beats Vagabond in poker in WC4...
"I have four queens!" That's one of my favourites, Maniac humming the British national anthem in the 27th century always makes me smile.

cff said:
I'd say having him talk about his ESC-5 missile (or was it ESC-10?)
Close. ESK-5, stronger than your standard Illudium PEW-36 explosive space modulators. ;)

Hehe - when he cheerfully tells me I'm flying around with a tactical nuke under the cockpit. (SO1, i think).

SO2, Maniac doesn't show up until SO2.

"I have four queens!" That's one of my favourites, Maniac humming the British national anthem in the 27th century always makes me smile.

I would wager that individual countries on Earth still have some level of autonomy... the fact that Tolwyn has a Victoria Cross suggests that England still exists in some fashion.

I liked him in Wing 3, but he and Blair seemed very confrontational. In Wing 4 you see his softer side, and you laugh at him for doing stupid stuff not just for telling jokes etc. make sence?

Ed

The way he just had to sniff himself to make sure it was'nt is BO that was tickking everyone off in WC4.

AdmiralHuang said:
"Does he pet you like that?" was probably the most bizarre Maniac quote.

I dunno. I always though it was "Does he pat you like that?" which would seem to make more sense... Still a funny moment.

TIRex said:
What I too like was the Briefing-Sequence from WC1
Halcyon: giving "me" and Maniac our Missionorder … and if Maniac gives you any static… you have my permission to shoot him to pieces.
Maverick: Should I use missiles, sir, or ship’s guns?
Halcyon: Guns, Maverick. Save your missiles for important targets.
Maniac: What? .

Ditto!

The "use guns to destroy Maniac, save your missiles for important targets" line is my favourite as far as existing lines go. But what I really want to see is Maniac sent out alone in an Epee against a wing of Gothri. Ah, too bad he'll probably even survive that with his Über-luck.

I like the scene in Wing 4 when he is trying to bring up the message on the Intrepid and he cant. that whole scene. And then at the briefing when Manic is there before everyone and Blair says "yea yea I see you". Then when everyone else gets there Blair has to say "Manic!" becuase he is still screwing around . hehee

Ed

Another Maniac moment I have is in WC3 where he starts to brag about his "Maniac Magic" - and promptly gets blown away by incoming fighters or being nailed by anti-matter turrets. So Maniac, what was that magic again?

well, the classic:
Maniac:I dont know, the side we picked to be on has a hard long road ahead.
Blair: Well will you look on the bright side? At least now you won't have to deal with that Confed promotion that finally came through.
Maniac: MY PROMOTION CAME? MY PROMOTION...Confed...that's not right
:-D

"I've dated all you girls..."
"Everybody's heard of the Maniac! Oh what know of you have heard of the Maniac?"

In the movie when they are seconds away from being crushed into nothing by Scylla and he is busy complaining about how much he doesn't like Paladin.

Back