What Will You Fly? (April 22, 2007)

I like the idea of new ship designs but I would like it even more if we had new Raptor or Sabre designs to fly.

I get the feeling if we had Raptors and Sabres, you'd just be looking for Rapier variations instead...

And the Rapier Vanguard seems to be a WC1 Rapier II with the FF and IR missiles replaced with mines.

Its the same! Except when its not!

I get the feeling if we had Raptors and Sabres, you'd just be looking for Rapier variations instead...

You misunderstand I don't want the Heavy Fighters to replace one of the other designs I would want it in addition to the Light and Medium Fighters, and Bombers we already have.

Its the same! Except when its not!

It's not really a change in design though. In order to change out a ship's guns you have to tear the fighter apart, remove the old guns and replace them with the new guns, change the targeting software to fit the new guns, and put the fighter back together. That would take days if not weeks.

Switching mines for missiles would take at most a couple of hours.

You misunderstand I don't want the Heavy Fighters to replace one of the other designs I would want it in addition to the Light and Medium Fighters, and Bombers we already have.

And you're misunderstanding - apparently intentionally - everyone else. There are fighters in Arena which fulfill this role (unlike, say, Prophecy or WC4, which both did away with heavy fighters).

It's not really a change in design though. In order to change out a ship's guns you have to tear the fighter apart, remove the old guns and replace them with the new guns, change the targeting software to fit the new guns, and put the fighter back together. That would take days if not weeks.

The Rapier variants in Arena are completely different from those which appeared fifty years earlier in the original Wing Commander.

How do you know it would be so difficult replace a ship's guns. In Privateer changing the guns seemed to be a very simple and quick job.

With the exception of maybe the Movie Rapiers (which are different than the f44 rapier II's) aren't the Raptors one of the oldest fighters that we fly in game? Considering Arena takes place 40 years after WC1, It's not surprising that they don't show up... yet. Though I'd bet on seeing Centurions in Arena before (or rather than) Raptors.

You realize it is the 27th Century.

And I agree with AD, in Priv it merely takes seconds to change gun mounts and the computer software is updated automatically.

Exactly when and where is Arena set anyway? The presence of the Midway-class suggests that it's after Prophecy which fits with the 28th century reference but the fighters are all Kilrathi war models, and I know they've been upgraded but it's still odd to see Broadswords, Centurions and Rapier IIs in Confed service that long after the war ended. And what's the backstory on Arena?

Exactly when and where is Arena set anyway? The presence of the Midway-class suggests that it's after Prophecy which fits with the 28th century reference but the fighters are all Kilrathi war models, and I know they've been upgraded but it's still odd to see Broadswords, Centurions and Rapier IIs in Confed service that long after the war ended. And what's the backstory on Arena?

I think it's 2719? or 2709? forget off hand but I know it's 27--. So yes it is after prophecy.

The B-52 is slated to be in service for still quite a long time and it already has a long history behind it. I don't think it's odd at all to see proven space frames decades after their first appearance. The FRLN has consistently relied on out of date frames to build onto.

One would also wager that Arena is going to be in places that are probably familar to us from the war and the UBW conflict, considering the kilrathi pressence and with capships.

And I agree with LeHah, the blanks will truly be filled in all in due time.

Sean Penney, the lead designer/producer for Arena, posted this: A. The Epsilon Sector, 2701. The Terran Confederation and the Kilrathi Assembly of Clans have beaten back the Nephilim hordes, but at a terrible cost. As the shattered governments focus on rebuilding the core worlds, the frontier has descended into lawlessness. Regional governors hold power through force of arms, as humans and Kilrathi alike fight amongst themselves using the weapons of the last war. Privateers, outlaws and worse take advantage of the situation, eager to make a quick credit in the galaxy's most volatile arena...

Considering there've been WC ship designs with well over a century of use (CF-105 Scimitar and CF-117 Rapier, not to mention the Dralthi) as of WC1, 50 years more isn't that big a stretch, even ignoring the Confed cast-offs used by the UBW and Landreich.

Sean Penney, the lead designer/producer for Arena, posted this: A. The Epsilon Sector, 2701. The Terran Confederation and the Kilrathi Assembly of Clans have beaten back the Nephilim hordes, but at a terrible cost. As the shattered governments focus on rebuilding the core worlds, the frontier has descended into lawlessness. Regional governors hold power through force of arms, as humans and Kilrathi alike fight amongst themselves using the weapons of the last war. Privateers, outlaws and worse take advantage of the situation, eager to make a quick credit in the galaxy's most volatile arena...

So it sounds like we'll be out in our old haunts for sure. Those poor systems, constantly getting the shit bombed out of them for our enjoyment. Oh well. May the best provincial government win.

I want to fly a ship with a top speed of 600kps that has rapid-fire fission cannons with infinite power supply, infinite afterburner, 100 Image Recognition Maces, phase shields and the armour of a supercarrier.

Oh, and a cloak.

Which it can fire weapons while using.

That'd be cool. ;)

Back