What Will You Fly? (April 22, 2007)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

Today's new poll asks which upcoming Arena fighter you're anticipating the most. There will be three variants for each of the six main frames for a total of eighteen flyable craft. Each ship is a classic design from earlier in the series, so they should all have their fans. It'll be interesting to see how these results compare to the numbers after pilots have gotten a chance to play with each fighter. Check out our Arena Ships Preview to learn more about these famous designs.

Our last poll asked which Arena feature was most exciting. Nostalgic Wingnuts swept the votes with "attention to WC history" in strong first place. The "return of classic ships" came in second. Exciting new features like sixteen person multiplayer and complex capship battles followed next. Either way, there's a whole lot to look forward to!

What Arena feature are you most excited about?

Sixteen person multiplayer
14.08%

orangeblock.gif

Return of classic ships
20.88%
orangeblock.gif

Battlecruiser combat
18.48%
orangeblock.gif

Attention to WC history
39.19%
orangeblock.gif

Low Live Arcade price
4.39%
orangeblock.gif

Winning award medals
2.98%
orangeblock.gif

Ended on April 22, 2007 | 1207 votes

--
Original update published on April 22, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to flying the Paktahn. Not many people seem to, though.

All those guns, hmmm. :) (if it's like the one in WC3). The Rapier, while my favourite Confed ship, just isn't so exciting to me.

I look forward to flying the Paktahn. Not many people seem to, though.

You can only pick one, so the results might look skewed towards one fighter when people are actually looking forward to flying many. I can see how the Rapier would be a popular first choice. The game itself presents this scenario really well. You gradually unlock the various ships so that you get an opportunity to try each of them out. I think this'll give people a good chance to learn about the different ships' strengths and weaknesses, so people will become accustomed to all kinds of different fighters in practice.

You're most certainly right - after all, I am looking forward to flying all of these crafts. And the Rapier just always is a superb fighter. It's just...Arrow, Rapier, Broadsword: I've already flown them. :) Not these versions of course and not in such a way but still. Pakthan on the other hand is just an impressive design I never got a chance to fly.

I am also very interested in how the matched fighters (Darket-Arrow, Rapier-Dralthi, Broadsword-Paktahn) will compare to each other.

Am I the only person that's disappointed that there are no heavy fighters in the game? Raptors and Sabres are two of my favorite WC ships and I think it sucks that they and their Kilrathi equilivants aren't going to be in the game.

Am I the only person that's disappointed that there are no heavy fighters in the game? Raptors and Sabres are two of my favorite WC ships and I think it sucks that they and their Kilrathi equilivants aren't going to be in the game.

Yeah! Also, WC3, WC4, Prophecy, Secret Ops, Privateer, Privateer 2, Armada, Academy and the card game should be banished for not having Raptors or Sabres in them.

That said, I'm not sure the lack of heavy fighters is necessarily an oversight -- see the recent Centurion update.

Yeah! Also, WC3, WC4, Prophecy, Secret Ops, Privateer, Privateer 2, Armada, Academy and the card game should be banished for not having Raptors or Sabres in them.

That said, I'm not sure the lack of heavy fighters is necessarily an oversight -- see the recent Centurion update.

3 and 4 had Thunderbolts which filled the same role even if they weren't as much fun to fly. 4 also had Bearcats which filled the same role, Armada had Banshee and Gladius Heavy fighters, Privateer had Centurion class heavy fighters, Privateer 2 had 6 classes of flyable heavy fighters, Prophecy had Vampires filling the heavy fighter role, and Secret Ops had Vampires and Thunderbolts. I don't remember what fighters Academy had, and I never played the card game so I can't talk about those.

If it's not an oversight then they left the heavy fighters out on purpose and what would the point of that be? And what Centurion update?

3 and 4 had Thunderbolts which filled the same role even if they weren't as much fun to fly. 4 also had Bearcats which filled the same role, Armada had Banshee and Gladius Heavy fighters, Privateer had Centurion class heavy fighters, Privateer 2 had 6 classes of flyable heavy fighters, Prophecy had Vampires filling the heavy fighter role, and Secret Ops had Vampires and Thunderbolts. I don't remember what fighters Academy had, and I never played the card game so I can't talk about those.

So... you just want something to say 'heavy fighter' on it, it doesn't matter what the ship looks like or does? And this actually seems like a reasonable criticism to you?

If it's not an oversight then they left the heavy fighters out on purpose and what would the point of that be?

I have no information on EA's future plans which I can reveal, but content packs are king. They're certainly in the works for Boom Boom Rocket (their first arcade game): "While we haven't announced any plans, the game will support additional content."

And what Centurion update?

The CIC update about how the Centurion (heavy fighter!) appears in the Arena title artwork.

I have no information on EA's future plans which I can reveal, but content packs are king. They're certainly in the works for Boom Boom Rocket (their first arcade game): "While we haven't announced any plans, the game will support additional content."

Sounds great. It's interesting that the Centurion appears like it will make an appearance, as far as craft go, it was only in Priv, but once we got behind the stick of it, it was an impressive craft. I'm interested to see what kilrathi heavy fighter we get, I always liked the Vaktoth, but the Gothri seemed to give me more trouble during combat.

So... you just want something to say 'heavy fighter' on it, it doesn't matter what the ship looks like or does? And this actually seems like a reasonable criticism to you?

No I want something with 4-6 guns, a max velocity of around 500 KPS, and a torpdeo or two, like every post WC1 Kilrathi war era heavy fighter.

How do you know how slow the Broadswords are? Or what weapons the fighters carry? Only a very small amount of that information has been released.

Hehe, yeah. Also, 500 kps? Good luck -- the Sabre clocked in at 400, the Thud at 380... it's only the later interceptors (which *weren't* heavy fighters) that got that fast (okay, Armada, too -- but they even out compared to the record-fast light fighters...).

Hehe, yeah. Also, 500 kps? Good luck -- the Sabre clocked in at 400, the Thud at 380... it's only the later interceptors (which *weren't* heavy fighters) that got that fast (okay, Armada, too -- but they even out compared to the record-fast light fighters...).

Okay I made one little typo. 400 KPS is still 25% faster then the Broadsword and Longbow and about 10% faster then the Crossbow.

I okay I made one little typo. 400 KPS is still 25% faster then the Broadsword and Longbow and about 10% faster then the Crossbow.

Once again, though, the speeds are different -- we have three new, unique Broadswords (and three unique Rapiers). None of them are identical to their predecessors.

Not to mention - why would you *want* them to be identical? This is a new game with new ships.

Everybody needs a new whip from time to time. And these are without a doubt nice new designs.

Not to mention - why would you *want* them to be identical? This is a new game with new ships.

I like the idea of new ship designs but I would like it even more if we had new Raptor or Sabre designs to fly. And the Rapier Vanguard seems to be a WC1 Rapier II with the FF and IR missiles replaced with mines.

Back