WCPediting Capships

I dont think that one is the midway vdu...vdu display have 3 pics of the ship inside them...i had a file that showed all the vdus and its numbers, but i cant find it anymore, and im affraid i lost it...could you ask Thomas for this? And dont forget to send me a copy in the way...;)

3 pics? Are you sure? I know normal ship VDUs have 3 pics, but in the game, we only ever see one VDU pic per capship. Anyway, I'll ask Thomas ;).

Q, check Thomas tool pages...;)
The mat you sent me appear to be the right one...it isnt working? Are you sure you placed it correctly...i havent tested it yet...

Well... that's new :). Anyway, everything looks right - it's the right file name, in the right folder - but still nothing. Thomas just replied, and he says that capship VDUs may be... hardcoded :(.

:(

Oh, i just finished changing the debries effect for the corvette style ships...does it could be used in UE? I mean, if there will be corvette style capships...;)
I will send you some pics to take a look.

[Edited by KillerWave on 06-05-2001 at 23:45]

Well, we're kinda hoping that you'll relieve us of most our corvette-style ships (even without VDUs), but yeah, I think that debris could come in useful ;). Hey, is it possible to change the amount of debris? I'd love to see a corvette-style capship explode into a hundred chunks :).

...Has there been any further progress, BTW, with the Bengal? That is to say, have you got what you wanted yet, or are you still waiting?

Pedro sayd he would send the model with changes tomorrow...so im still waiting for it...
There are plans of converting the Fralthi, Bengal and Ralari perhaps to capship format...other ships i dont know about...
There may be possible to make corvette ships have lots of debries...if someone could edit the meshes for the debries (sor_db1.iff...sor_db3.iff adding more debries to each one of the files...you could probably see a lot of them.;)
Thats actually what i was hoping for.:D

Well yeah, basically the Bengal, Fralthi and Ralari are the only ones we really need. I mean, while we will be using a few other corvette-style capships, they all appear so briefly that there's little point making a proper conversion. The exception to this would be Beaufort Station (that space lab for which you made BW textures), which appears in about four missions, I think. But still, all this depends on whether you've got time, and whether you feel like it :).

About debris... I'm sorta thinking of showing something bigger, like maybe a Ranger, exploding, and two chunks of debris just aren't enough ;).

Well, lets first concentrate on those 3, when they are finished, working correctly (hopefully :D), and if there wont be any rush of releasing UE at the time, having free time enough...then we can think about it...
I will try something with the debries later, not sure if it will work, but its not very important right now ;)

Oh, there won't be any rush with releasing UE :(. It's exam season in Europe, and that's where most of the UE team are.

Hmmm... Pedro has a lot on his mind right now, so he may have misunderstood your request, or he may have simply sent you the wrong files by accident. Ask him again.

...And, uh, d'you think that we could maybe get our hands on the current version? I know that it's rather incomplete, but... ;)

Nope, it was changed, but not the right changes...:(
The model in the actual state is just a test really, incorrect targeting data, misplaced textures, no turrets and bridge with dissapearing faces...

Hmm. Well, I guess you just have to try and explain it again.

As for the model, you've already explained how incomplete it is :). There are, however, some things which I can try out even in its current state. Not to mention that a Dauntless screenshot from an actual UE mission would be a nice way of showing progress ;).

And regarding incorrect targetting data, I'm guessing that we'll just have to be happy with what we get - what with those damned hardcoded VDUs and all :-(.

I already talked with Pedro, aparently it was a software problem...Wildcat thought it was correctly positioned, but it really wasnt...

About the incorrect targeting data, its because the changes that need to be made to the model, if the changes are made correctly, i think i can get correct the targeting data...;)

For the vdu, i havent tryed anything yet, but if its really hardcoded, im affraid there is nothing i can do...

I will send you a copy later. But many problems aside from the targeting problem, is that i didnt bother to fix since it wasnt targeting right...i want to make it work properly before fixing details...otherwise would be just a waste of time.;)

[Edited by KillerWave on 06-10-2001 at 18:06]

If you can't change the VDU, just write into the story how they have some sort of technology that makes them appear to be a different ship to scare the enemy, or make them think they have the wrong target, or something to that effect.

TC

That would be weird, TC, since we're supposed to have capships for both the Border Worlds and the Kilrathi. No, I think in this particular case we'll just have to explain to the players that WC editing has its limitations.

KW: Well, I hope that software problem is resolved soon ;). Say, I thought that by 'targetting data', you meant the VDU pic... but you obviously don't. So, what do you mean by 'targetting data'?

Q and DH are writing the story, so its up to them, but until UE is released, there will be a chance that someone could fix it...;)

[Edited by KillerWave on 06-11-2001 at 01:05]

By targeting data i mean that when you target a ship component, like the engines for example, the torpedoes should lock into the engine of the model, but its locking into the middle of the hull...:(

Wildcat is tryng to fix it right now.;)

Back