WCM Paladin?...

Originally posted by Emperor Quark
hehehe Did anyone else notice that in Wc: Prophacys he is a "General" ?
Check the Sim; there is a mission done by him

He's actually a General in WCP -- he mentions in one of his letters that they're reactivating his commision for the crisis.

Once again Preacher, you sound like a 12-year-old who's opinion is the be-all and end-all of opinions.

If you can't look beyond Tcheky Karyo's heavily FRENCH accent, you're just a complete frickin idiot in the first place. He looks the part, he acts the part and his dictation of his lines is excellent. So what if he sounds French? He did a better Paladin than you or me could. You'd only have a right to complain if that was you on screen or if he tried to do a scottish accent over his french, which would've sounded terrible.

Last time I checked, Tcheky was a TURKISH name, butt-head. Get your ethnicity right.

Brit actors are better than American actors. In Brittan, you're forced to do stage, which is what molds a true actor and ensures you have talent unlike Keanu Reeves, Freddie Prinze Jr or Penelope Cruz. If you can't do stage acting, you're asked to do the lighting. :)

Now, now LeHah, we all know he sounds that way sometime, but the phrase "Never attack and idiot. He will only beat you and bring you down to his level" comes to mind :)

I do however, question your definition of 'Real actors' :p

All three mentioned have been in what... one good movie... *between them*? (The Matrix - and if you can't figure out which one, you've probably been locked in a room for WAY too long :)
On the other hand, I agree that any of the three could do a better job anyway :)

So children, let's just play nice shall we :)

Aka, the Matrix was just "blah" with me. The special effects weren't revolutionary like they said they were and the story was like a bad 15-year-olds wanna-be sci-fi wet dream after reading William Gibson.

Assuming 15 year olds read anymore :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Preacher

Can the irony possibly get any thicker than that?...Heheheh

As far as losing his accent, remember that, the longer you stay in a "foreign" land (or planet, or galaxy), the more you'll tend to lose your own native accent, and speak like those around you speak. Thereafter, you can turn your accent "on or off", as it suits your purposes. That's probably the explanation as to why Blair noticed this ("When in Rome...") :)

Finally, to all who take issue withthe "genuine-ness of Paladin's Scottish accent, all you gotta do is read the WC 1 guide (Claw Marks) to get the skinny on his ancestry. If you were brought up in a home with Native Scots parents, don't it make sense that you'd grow up with a Scots accent y'self?... This ain't rocket science, guys. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

Oh--sorry, I just noticed that I made this a separate post, when I simply intended to edit the original one. My mistake. Lo siento (really!).

Re: Re: WCM Paladin?...

Originally posted by LeHah
Once again Preacher, you sound like a 12-year-old who's opinion is the be-all and end-all of opinions.

...Not at all, my prickly comrade. I'm simply a voracious reader, and a trained observer of the human condition (see my profile for what I mean by that last part). The WC 1 guide clearly sez that he grew up in a family w/ 2 native Scots parents, so his Scottish burr is completely realistic--even if he later "loses" it in the WC storyline. Also, see rest of the text of the Paladin profile in "Claw Marks". Also, play WC3 to hear Paladin there, etc. etc....:rolleyes:

If you can't look beyond Tcheky Karyo's heavily FRENCH accent, you're just a complete frickin idiot in the first place...So what if he sounds French? He did a better Paladin than you or me could. You'd only have a right to complain if that was you on screen or if he tried to do a scottish accent over his french, which would've sounded terrible.

My my, LeHah, what the heck's gotten into YOU?... But, to respond to your churlish comments:

a) I CAN "get over" his French accent; the point is, I shouldn't HAVE to (nor should anyone else)... If they pay you for acting, then ACT--by adopting whatever accent you need to for the part. That's part of any actor's basic skill-set. Look at Mel Gibson--though he's an American (by birth), and can speak with "no" accent, he has the Aussie accent down from having grown up there. He also did a pretty good Scottish burr in "Braveheart". This is an actor who has his basic skills down. Karyo should've been able to do this no prob--so why didn't he?...

b) He might've done a better job ACTING than I could (and certainly better than yourself, since you can't even "act" civilized), but I could most certainly do a better Scottish ACCENT than he did. Voice acting is one of my sidelines. I speak both Spanish and Mohawk, with no detectable accent (according to native speakers of both those languages that've heard me speak). Further, I speak English in various world accents (including Scottish), and have likewise been told by natives of such lands that I sound "dead on" in my delivery--including a lovely, older Scottish nurse I worked with in my last job.

Last time I checked, Tcheky was a TURKISH name, butt-head. Get your ethnicity right.

...I already addressed this mistake earlier in this thread. Try reading things a bit more thoroughly before you lash out at people, eh?...

Brit actors are better than American actors. In Brittan, you're forced to do stage, which is what molds a true actor and ensures you have talent unlike Keanu Reeves, Freddie Prinze Jr or Penelope Cruz. If you can't do stage acting, you're asked to do the lighting. :)

...And if you can't be bothered to do the ethnic accent of the character you're asked to play, give some other actor a shot at it... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by akashra
Now, now LeHah, we all know he sounds that way sometime, but the phrase "Never attack and idiot. He will only beat you and bring you down to his level" comes to mind

So children, let's just play nice shall we

1) Thx 4 the support. :(

2) A little bit more understandin', and a lot less venting of spleen might help clear the air around here. Last I checked, I'm human, as are the resta y'all. When I see that I've hurt someone's feelings, touched a nerve, or poorly phrased a point I was making, I seem to recall apologizin' a coupla times. I suggest others adopt this same approach.

3) You, akashra, are hardly in the position to play "parent" to the rest of us... ;)

huh? i didn't want to post in this thread! is this bugs, Alzheimer or ghosts in the machine?
sorry4 bothering, guys

oh what the heck, since i'm here anyway.. WCM had a hard time for working with anything but the original cast. Tomb Raider had it easy: that role was never played by other actors before. And to stay in the same line of movies... Indiana Jones and the Young Indiana Jones series, now that seemed to work out fine.
So why is it that somehow i have to agree with most people that I found the movie somewhat disappointing? WAS it the casting, or is that simply an easy excuse??

Preacher: Im sorry I missed your correction to Karyo's ethnicity.

As to you saying you shouldn't have to get around his accent in the first place, apparently Roberts could and that speaks volume of the man's acting talent. I am repeatedly irate at people who base an actor on looks and accent and not on presence or talent, the reason being the likes of Keanu Reeves. The fact he was in a few commercially succesful movies doesn't make him a good actor, nor does it make the movie good.

Maybe Roberts didn't ask Karyo to do an accent?

As for your speaking fluent languages, thats nice. Im learning to speak Japanese, since 2 of my friends speak it, one being on base in Korea as a ... ahem ... prisoner questioner. ;) Your ability to speak a language fluently, as I've just demonstrated, is a moot point. Would my bringing up I know several people that have worked with Stanley Kubrick add anything to this convo? Or the fact I bother Ridley Scott? Nah. I'm just beating my drum...

Originally posted by TC

Also, Tchéky Karyo is Turkish and grew up in Paris...
He's from Turkish origin (born in Istanbul), but since he grew up in Paris, started his acting career in France in the 1970's, did not appear in an English-speaking movie until 1988, and that 80% of the movies he starred in are French...

...we can safely postulate he's more known to the public as a French actor (having double nationality anyway)...

And I'm sorry, but knowing from personal experience how French people sound when they try to speak English, this guy has definitely a French accent in the WCM...

If you're still in doubt, you can try asking him the question yourself:

Tcheky Karyo
c/o/ Artmédia
10 av. George V
75008 Paris
France

...As to you saying you shouldn't have to get around his accent in the first place, apparently Roberts could and that speaks volume of the man's acting talent. I am repeatedly irate at people who base an actor on looks and accent and not on presence or talent... Maybe Roberts didn't ask Karyo to do an accent?

I never said Karyo wasn't a good actor--I actually liked the job he did EXCEPT for the stupid French accent. Acting is supposed to be about creating a scene and a character that lets the audience "suspend disbelief". Despite the otherwise good job he did, the French accent ruined it for me BECAUSE it didn't allow me to suspend my disbelief--knowing as I do that the character is a Scot...

This phenomenon explains why none of the WC games had cutscenes with stick figures-who'd "believe" that (let alone BUY it)?... It's also why WC3 was such a kickass game: so revolutionary as to draw the player into the game and make him feel like he was PART of the proceedings, compared to the other games of its time. Talent & presence are necessary, but you need to engage ALL the acting talents you have at your disposal, not just some, oreven most of 'em

And, if Roberts was the one whose idea it was to allow such a travesty, well...I guess it's shame on him. Then again, maybe he couldn't afford anyone who could do a proper Scottish burr (damn lowball budget!).

:: bangs head on monitor, apparently unable to teach Preacher a damned thing :: :mad:

Originally posted by mpanty

He's from Turkish origin (born in Istanbul), but since he grew up in Paris, started his acting career in France in the 1970's, did not appear in an English-speaking movie until 1988, and that 80% of the movies he starred in are French...

...we can safely postulate he's more known to the public as a French actor (having double nationality anyway)...

And I'm sorry, but knowing from personal experience how French people sound when they try to speak English, this guy has definitely a French accent in the WCM...

If you're still in doubt, you can try asking him the question yourself:

Tcheky Karyo
c/o/ Artmédia
10 av. George V
75008 Paris
France

Umm... you really weren't paying attention. Someone mentioned that his name wasn't french, so I pointed out that the reason for this was that he was Turkish. I'd have to be really stupid to think he was faking a french accent constantly in all his English movies.

TC

:: bangs head on monitor, apparently unable to teach Preacher a damned thing.

Hmmm...I wasn't aware you were in teaching mode... Two days ago, you were in beserker-rant mode; today you must've taken your medication, and were in mellow philosopher mode. ;)

I'm plenty willing to be taught (heck, if I knew it all, I wouldn't bother being on the CZ--I CAME here to learn stuff). But, I was trained to weed out the BS from the facts, and I do it every day at work, so I'm plenty practiced in it. If you gave me some solid facts to deal with, and left out the bile, perhaps some teaching coulda been done.

Teachers who go into the classroom unarmed with facts are just glorifed hall monitors. Bile and insults don't exactly set the stage in which to teach (I learned that a few years back by being a father). Maybe next time you could keep this in mind, before posting any "teachable moments" you wish to share with me/us?... :rolleyes:

Back