WCM movie ships

Originally posted by TC

A short sword could be beaten. Anything can be beaten... but generally using a spear or trident against a Roman swordsman would cause real problems.

Against a swordsman, yes. Against a formation of Roman swordsmen with locked shields, no. That's why the Roman legions were so successful

No, Roman forces were so successful because they were well organized and trained. They were not successful because the short sword was a brilliant weapon. That's like saying the allies won WWI because their rifle was superior.

TC

the roman gladius was part of the stratigy. unlike the claymores used in briton the gladius didn't swing in a huge arc so the roman soldiers could stay close to eachother without fear of getting smacked by thier friends.

Exactly. The Roman short sword (and most short swords for that matter) was a stabbing weapon, not a cutting. The legionaires could stand in close formation, protected by their shields to the front, and on the sides by the shields of their comrades. They could press up close to their opponents and stab.

One-on-one, a short-sword armed Roman would probably be beaten by a claymore armed Celt, but Romans didn't fight one-on-one.

Yes, the Romans were better trained and organized, but their short-sword was an integral part of the tactics. Without the short sword, the tactics would have been useless, and vice-versa.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
For metal swords on the other hand...
I know what you mean, I'm no expert on weapons, but a small sword my friend made (not meant for fighting, of course, so it was blunted and everything) weighed very heavily in the hands!

Originally posted by TC
No, Roman forces were so successful because they were well organized and trained. They were not successful because the short sword was a brilliant weapon. That's like saying the allies won WWI because their rifle was superior.

That V3 supercanon certainly didn't help the Germans in WW2.

Originally posted by Wedge009

I know what you mean, I'm no expert on weapons, but a small sword my friend made (not meant for fighting, of course, so it was blunted and everything) weighed very heavily in the hands!

Yeah. A friend of mine has a genuine imitation :) ninja sword. It's about 2 1/2 feet long and has a 'nice' weight to it. I always get a smile from Cloud and Squall and all the FF guys carrying around enough iron to make a small tank. Still, I guess if you can take nuclear missile hit and only use 100HP it's really not that heavy. :cool:

Originally posted by Napoleon
Has anyone noticed that the ships in COnquest frontier wars look just like WCM ships?

Maybe that's why someone has come up with a WC mod for it....

Originally posted by AzraeL

Against a swordsman, yes. Against a formation of Roman swordsmen with locked shields, no. That's why the Roman legions were so successful

My personal preference for a handheld weapon of destruction? (thanks for asking; this one can't be beat):
FLAMETHROWER and a s-load of Napalm!....

we're already being off topic anyways,

TC, I noticed you say 'SubCrid' in your "name".

What is a Crid?

TIA

ImZ

Originally posted by mpanty

Hey I never thought of that, and it makes a lot of sense!

Though I wonder... because when they actually shoot the scenes, they use sticks, and then the laser beam is added in post production...
Would a stick be as light as a light saber?

Of course it makes perfect sense, like everything else I post. :)
IIRC, a lightsabre weighs only 500gr, 1kg at the most, so, to answer your question, it would be necessary to know how mucht the sticks weighed, they used.

Originally posted by Wedge009

Yeah, I had once a 'real' (i.e. a replica) longsword in my hands and boy, that was heavy. I think it's quite impossible for any human to wield two longswords effectively in combat. I even had problems with the one...

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

Yeah, I had once a 'real' (i.e. a replica) longsword in my hands and boy, that was heavy. I think it's quite impossible for any human to wield two longswords effectively in combat. I even had problems with the one...

Well, I collect swords. And they are very heavy. But the people were trained their whole lives to wield them, so it was like nothing to them.

Cool, swords. :cool:

Of course, a real knight/soldier, trained to use one would have far less problems.

I mean, I was able to carry it and swing around a bit in one hand but if I had it done so fast as they do in the movies, I would surely have lost control of it... ;)

Know what rocks? Bastard swords. My friend has one. Man, what a fucking great peice of military advancement. :cool:

I have several swords... my favorite is my flamberge... 5 foot long kris blade... the french answer to the broadsword :)

Back