WC3 PS1 problems

Hi, I'm not sure if there are any threads on this topic already, or if this was even considered as something covered in this part of the forum, so I thought it was OK to post one. I'm having some trouble with the second disk of WC3, when I go on Locanda 3, the optional mission, I encounter a Corvette at Nav3 and I tried targeting it and getting close enough to take out its weak points, and a glitch popped up and all of a sudden the corvette was further off and not in my view anymore. :confused: I could find it again, but it continued doing this for awhile. I cleaned the disk and I set it aside to try out again to see if it happens again, but I just wanted to know what other people thought of this.

That's interesting. I'm not familiar enough with WC PSX issues to suggest a real solution, but it doesn't seem to me like something a dirty/damaged disc would cause. Does anything else move? Is it maybe pushing you away instead of jumping the Corvette out further? Are there any specific sound or visual glitching besides the ship instantly appearing at a distance?

All of the other fighters/ships jump back to where they were when I first approached the Corvette. It almost seems like it resets and I'm back where I was, but with all the damage I had sustained before it did anything. What I'm seeing when it does this is the Corvette at about 5000 distance, and then all of a sudden its not in my reticle any more. I think its actually pushing my back, but I'm not quite sure

I'd hate to double post, but I found out what the problem was.... It's just a small glitch in the game, probably from taking it from PC to PS1, it happens every so often and is farely rare. I tried it out just yesterday and it didn't happen once on that mission. It DID however occur on Locanda 1 at Nav 4 when I was fighting Fireclaw after I had taken out the other fighters.
All I have to do is save before each mission as usual and just restart the PS2 if it should do that so I can try to get through the mission without it happening again.

All I have to do is save before each mission as usual and just restart the PS2 if it should do that so I can try to get through the mission without it happening again.

Ahhhhhh... It's very likely this is actually an issue with playing it on a PS2 and not actually the game itself. I've never had that happen playing it on an actual PS1.

Ahhhhhh... It's very likely this is actually an issue with playing it on a PS2 and not actually the game itself. I've never had that happen playing it on an actual PS1.

Really? I knew some games did stuff like this when they were played on the PS2, but I didn't think this was one of those things because it didn't happen untill that point into the game, on the second disk. I just figured it had to be a PC to PS1 port problem that cropped up.

Really? I knew some games did stuff like this when they played on the PS2, but I didn't think this was one of those things because it didn't happen untill that point into the game, on the second disk.

well, I can't guarantee it without dusting off my PS1 but I don't remember ever having that problem so it's a likely possibility.

I have all the Wing Commander games in their PC versions, plus WC3 and SWC for the 3DO and the 2 SNES games. Should I try to get the PS1 ports? Are they worth? I have a PS2.

I have all the Wing Commander games in their PC versions, plus WC3 and SWC for the 3DO and the 2 SNES games. Should I try to get the PS1 ports? Are they worth? I have a PS2.

If I remember reading correctly, the PS1 version is basically the same as the 3DO version. If that is true, then I don't think it would be worth it.

If I remember reading correctly, the PS1 version is basically the same as the 3DO version. If that is true, then I don't think it would be worth it.

No, not at all -- the 3DO version is a wonderful and unique port that builds on that system's abilities rather than tries to emulate the PC experience exactly. The Playstation version is much more like the PC release, with various changes (more videos, for instance.)

The 3DO version actually looks pretty neat, now that I just went and found more about it. I would love to get a copy of the 3DO version and the console, but local used game stores don't cary it, though they have plenty of other older systems. Ebay has them, but the cheapest one is $79 with $25 shipping , so I don't think its worth it to get one....

To answer Edfilho's original question, it would be worth it if you have a PS1, so you can avoid the bug that pops up when you use it on a PS2, other wise you'll have to deal with it. Luckily I have an old PS1 laying around somewhere, though I'm not sure where it is... but I don't think too many people kept their PS1s when they got PS2s, did they?

I bought the 3DO version on ebay, it was pretty cheap. The videos get really screwed up though, unfortunately.

I never had a ps1, I went straight to the PS2 (slim), so I'd have to deal with the bug or use an emulator.

I never had a ps1, I went straight to the PS2 (slim), so I'd have to deal with the bug or use an emulator.

The bug isn't that bad, so it wouldn't be much of a bother to use it on a PS2. I've kept on using on my PS2 since AD said it was a PS1 to PS2 problem while I've been searching for my PS1, and it hardly ever pops up. I hope you can find one at a decent price, when I got mine it was about $20, though thats increased at the same store I got it at to $30.

I have WC3 on Playstation as well.

Mine is a very very old and worn copy though, some times it does not let me play the last few missions before the game doesn't load.

I don't think it translated to PS very well, it has very choppy gameplay. WC IV on the other hand plays very smooth on PS, but you lose some content.

What about the controls? I remember reading that it was harder to play it on the PS1 than on the PC.

WC3 and 4 control quite differently. WC3 takes some getting used to and there are a lot of combos to mimic the PC's complicated command system so if you don't have a good memory things like asking for clearance to land can get annoying at times. Plus WC3 doesn't support analog gamepads so you are stuck using the D pad unless you have one of the fancy sony flight-sticks that loaf was talking about.

On the other hand WC4's control scheme was reworked and supports analog so using the left stick on the gamepad instead of the D-pad is much smoother for flight plus WC4 adds rumble effects. I didn't find either especially harder on the Ps1 but WC3 with a gamepad takes some getting used to. WC4 plays like a charm though.

On the other hand WC4's control scheme was reworked and supports analog so using the left stick on the gamepad instead of the D-pad is much smoother for flight plus WC4 adds rumble effects. I didn't find either especially harder on the Ps1 but WC3 with a gamepad takes some getting used to. WC4 plays like a charm though.

Just out of curiosity, is there a record of some sort or something like it that describes the bugs that occur with the PS1 WC games when played on the PS2? (I just bought WC4 for the PS1 yesterday, and I tried it out on the PS2 ‘cause I haven’t got a PS1 controller with working analog sticks. It hasn’t had any problems yet, but still something could pop up.)

Now since I’m not sure if such a section exists on the site, I have an idea. This is just a suggestion, but it might be a good thing to put up such a section for PS1 games on the site, because I seriously doubt everyone either conveniently still has their PS1 or can buy one readily (excluding ebay), that way people can figure the problem out just a tad bit easier.

We don't have a whole lot on console details overall, but if someone's willing to compile all the data necessary for one or more games, it could be incorporated into any number of areas (Background section, Tech Support, Articles, or just a front page update).

I’d be more than happy to help contribute to the site with this type of information. I’ll get going on it as soon as I possibly can, though of course it will take me awhile to accumulate all I can. Well… then I guess I really should get going, wish me luck!

I'm sorry I haven't posted these sooner, but like I've said on other sites today, our only PC that has access to the internet died awhile back. We only just got a new PC and hooked it up, so I'm trying to make up for my absence on the net. Here is all the info I could find on bugs with the WCIII/WCIV games on the PS2.

WCIII:
Previously mentioned bugs in above posts.
(not completed)

WCIV:
Sound delay at mission start/after communication between Pilots and ships.
A slight paused after destruction of enemy fighters/ships.
A possible loss of gun/laser/missile sound effects and voices for the dialogue selection during the story.
Also from what I can tell, there might be a slight possibility of the first two on the PS1, but its far less likely to happen.
(completed so far)

Back