WC3 PS1 problems

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I just wanted to say that the PS versions aren't really that worth it if you already have the PC versions. WC3 does have some extra content though as already mentioned (especially the all important Hobbes betrayal explanation). WC4 PS was the first version of the game I played though I prefer the PC version to that as well.

Also the graphics and effects in the PS versions take a pretty major hit. They're really only worth it if you don't want to wrestle with getting the PC versions to work properly which isn't really a problem with the latest version of DosBox anyway. Also, if you just feel like sitting back and watching some Wing Commander action on your TV instead of your computer monitor. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the video quality for the PS versions might even be a tad bit better, unless that's just because you're watching it on a TV screen instead (Of course WC4 isn't as good as WC4 DVD or anything though).

Also, I've played WC3 on the PS1 and PS2 and I never encountered the glitches mentioned here so they must be pretty rare.

Your take on the situation is pretty good. It's worth noting that Wing Commander IV PSX actually removes a lot of material... for instance, the entire "Circe" series of optional material is cut from the game.

Video quality is, indeed, a little bit better (in WC3 especially) - but it doesn't approach the DVDs.

One thing that always interested me in WCIV PSX was that they went back and did alternate versions of the two Tyr 'ground' missions -- complete with mission briefing FMV changed to reflect the fact that they now involved space stations.

If you can get your hands on a Sony Dual Flight Stick then WCIV becomes a lot more fun... the game seems to be built for the thing, and flying the fighter becomes a lot more natural.

Your take on the situation is pretty good. It's worth noting that Wing Commander IV PSX actually removes a lot of material... for instance, the entire "Circe" series of optional material is cut from the game.

Video quality is, indeed, a little bit better (in WC3 especially) - but it doesn't approach the DVDs.

One thing that always interested me in WCIV PSX was that they went back and did alternate versions of the two Tyr 'ground' missions -- complete with mission briefing FMV changed to reflect the fact that they now involved space stations.

If you can get your hands on a Sony Dual Flight Stick then WCIV becomes a lot more fun... the game seems to be built for the thing, and flying the fighter becomes a lot more natural.

WC4 PSX is a lot more tailored to the console controler in general though. The simple fact that it uses the analog sticks makes it easier to fly than wc3psx, and the rumble effects - while limited - are a nice bonus.

I got a friend into Wing Commander earlier this year with PS WC3. He'd heard of Wing Commander but didn't really know anything about it and saw the two games sitting with the rest of my Playstation games. He was especially amazed at how badass Mark Hamill was in the game.

By some strange twist of fate we went to this local music/games store that often has some software oddities shortly after that and they had WC3 on their used pile of old PC games so he bought it after I assured him I could get it to work with XP and I showed him how to use DosBox.

Back