WC TacOps Game Manual v0.1 released

well, i was talking about the pc port... Sorry if i didn't mention that...

btw. Ironduke, you did say
Here's hoping I find the time to continue this project in the next 2-3 months...

So... ?

Damn... Time real drags on sometimes :D

I overlooked it, thought it was a last month post or something. Sorry guys...

No problem, Ricochet. And ChrisReid beat me to it again... Maybe I should be playing less on XBLA, but... .oO( Arena, Arena, Arena...! ) ...oh well. ;)

Sorry everyone for not being around for some time! (Whoa! I just realised how long it was since my last post :rolleyes:)
Unfortunatelly I had lots of work and other important things to do... but now I'm finally back to WCTO project.

UPDATE

There's a new version (0.12) of the game manual available here. It's about 20 megs in size, since I included Ship Stat Cards from every ship in the game so far.

Important: Please note that the gun stats have changed! The mass driver is now your "jack-of-all-trades" average medium gun, and I reduced the neutron gun's range while increasing its damage ratio. I hope these changes make WCTO more true to the original WC2 experience...

Comments are welcome, as usual. I also want to start a play-by-mail beta test of the game - check the General Wing Commander Chat forum if you want to join!

I'm refining the campaign rules at the moment, with special maneuvers and pilot skills high up on my priority list. I will probably release some of the advanced rules - also including new rules for tailing other fighters and dodging asteroids (or not...) - after we've completed one or two PBM test games.

I spent some time on designing character sheets and briefings, as well. The current designs would work for PBM gaming and the PC game Mike-L is still working on. They're more or less drafts, so feel free to tell me what you think!

Character sheet for a sample pilot:
WIP-pilot.png

(Well, I'd like to change the pilot pic into something more WC2-like with, you know, pixels and all. Might get easier to customize hand-drawn Kilrathi than to find enough real-life pics of Kilrathi... Or even one, for that matter.)

Sample briefing - I kept to the no-frills style of WC1 and WC2's briefing maps. :D
WIP-briefing.png

Looks like that guy would be a killer in an Epee! ;)
He really excels in a Ferret. That star right next to the mass driver cannon gunnery skill is supposed to be a diamond star, so that would qualify as a "legendary" skill - as opposed to the particle cannon skill's "elite" rating.

I'd like to have wings instead of the diamond star, but then again, stars for me are easier to draw than wings. :p

UPDATE

Version 0.13 of the WCTO manual is released!
This new version of the game manual covers some of the advanced and campaign rules, as well as enhancing, clarifying and sometimes changing the basic rules. There's still a lot of work to do, but at least we have Shelton Slides now! :D

If you want to take part in the next test game (see this thread for more info), go ahead and download away - be warned, though: The zipped manual comes in at a whopping 26 megabytes!

WCTO Game Manual v0.13

Feel free to discuss any rule changes or new rules in this thread...

Neato, good to see another update.

By the way, whose photo is that in the character sheet above?

By the way, whose photo is that in the character sheet above?
IIRC it was Dominic Purcell. It's one of the (royalty-free) photos I had used for another sci-fi rpg, but I just updated the character sheet to look more like WC2. Unfortunately, my drawing abilities aren't worth a dime, so it's still kind of a stopgap. ;)

I have a feeling this will be a great game when it is finished. If you were charging money for it I'd buy it without a second thought. I hope you don't charge money, because I have none.

But seriously I'll be keeping an eye on this one and will probably end up playing it for hours on end with my buddies.

Well I download it all...and glued the map and quite a few fighter makers to cardboard, and I played a quick dogfight with my bro. I was in an Epee he was using a Ferret, and somehow I won.

Right now all I have to say is that it's addictingly fun.

"Makes a heroin addiction seem like a mild craving for salt"

Thanks for your comments! I'll start a new play-by-mail mission shortly - if you're interested, you're welcome to join!

I'm not surprised about the Epee's victory, by the way. She may have weaker armor, but she outclasses the Ferret in every other aspect. ;)

UPDATE

Since it's Christmas time anyway, I thought I might as well jump ahead and release version 0.14 of TacOps' game manual. ;) It's been only a bit more than a month since the last update, but thanks to my ever diligent playtesters, I just had to rewrite bits and pieces of the manual. :p
There's still a lot of work left to do, though...

Note that games currently running (Game 003 and Scenario 001) are not yet affected by this update.

Get it here: WCTO Game Manual v0.14

Back