WC skill level

Bla1r

Spaceman
i know i may sound ridiculous, but am i the only one who cant play WC(3,4,5) in a level higher than Ace. even in the ace level it's almost impossilbe to complete some missions. i remember the search and destroy mission in WC4(in Circe) was just "impossible". although it's merely dogfighting, i just cant do it. and have tried many times. they always lock on me and destroy me with missiles :( . another very difficult mission is the recon mission in Tyr VII. what am i doing wrong?

well i couldnt help u with that without actuially seeing u fly, but mabey your just not good enough, it may be the hard truth to it, i have finished all my games on nightmare though it is bloody hard to do it is possible

Lord_Nathrakh said:
i have finished all my games on nightmare though it is bloody hard to do it is possible

I've done it also and if it was impossible anyways im sure they wouldnt put it in the game. you probley just need to find a stratagy that will keep you alive threw the missions you listed.

WC3 is quite hard at anything > Ace IMHO, but manageable.
WCP is rediculously easy on Nighmare. Personally I don't notice all that much changes between Veteran and Nightmare at all.
WC4 I have to agree. I only beat that one on Veteran. The missiles get out of hand on any higher levels.

in wing co Prophercy the only real differnce from vetran to nightmare is the time it takes to kill them even there weekest unit takes at least a missle followed by a heavy volly of lasers to kill.

the remora ace is friggen almost impossible to kill on nightamre it takes 5 imporved im recs to kill 1, and keepping it in sigbht to fire 5 missles off isnt that easy for starters plus it will use decoys to throw your missles off and there quite effective.

wing co 4 i found was easier then wing 3 even on nightmare, the dragons are pain in the arses to waste, wing 3 the protection missions were the only difficult thing to do, for me anyway.

i have a tip switch it to easy and go to the sims in prophercy, fly the gauntlet with a pirana even on easy u tend to die rather quickly though. and on nightmare i think i evaded more then i shot and only got 6-7 kills in 10 min. even then my ship was so badly damaged if the game engine allowed u to break apart i think i would have.

my advice fly sims on gauntlet and everytime u complete it move up a difficulty level it helped me become the stunning space simmer u see befor u. also i assume that u alrdy know but dont use invunrability. and also get used to the ships u fly when u finish it ones on all levels with teh pirana move to another ship and do it on nightmare, it helps familurise yourself with your ships

Yeah I thought that Prophecy's higher skill levels made them harder to kill and it took more rounds like you said to kill them but it didnt really make them anymore dangerus skill wise. Almost as if they were just given a more tuffer ship.

Don't feel bad; I don't think I ever played through WingIII-IV on anything higher than Veteran <G>

Bob McDob said:
Don't feel bad; I don't think I ever played through WingIII-IV on anything higher than Veteran <G>

I just played through WC3/4 for the heck of it again a few weeks ago and I found that I for some reason had a harder time at WC3 then 4. Corse, it could have somthing to do with that fact that for the moment all i have control base is my keyboard and mouse. :(

Slightly off topic...
Does anyone know what the skill levels in WCP GBA "exactly" do?
It seems to make even less difference then in the PC version to me?

as i dont have GBA wing commander i have no clue.... i recently played thru wing co 1-5 with my stick, i cant get sound on wing 1-4 though prophercy play with sound, then my computer is strange it wont allow me to use dos as such i cant get into the prompts to install it properly, hence no sound.

but prophercy is a windows based game so it works but i still woudl rather have a sound card thats ancient enough to play I-IV with sound.

i suggest doing what i posted above as it helps alot and i found even on easy levle for my first time i died nearly 2 min in. the converged fire is really quite hard to evade and then asttack. thats just what i think but feel free to do whatever u feel

Bla1r: Well, I'm pretty bad. Bad, not bad-ass. In WC3, even a corvette at Veteran is a trip through hell and back for me. If I can pick off capships from a distance, I'm in heaven. Which in turn would mean I'd be toast in a dogfight. Heh, evasive maneuvers don't exist in my vocabulary. :)

Though, in all honesty, I could hold my own for a surprisingly long time in SO at Hero. One or two NAVs on my own, even! Well, ok, so it was in the beginning of the game/add-on, but still. I should be worse than that.

hmmmm, quick death in multi space sims i scense in this 1 ^.

cap ships are easy in all bar prophercy games, even on nightmare. Though in prophercy u have to take out coponents and not just blaze at a certain spot untill they die, though the help of sevral wingman for each game certanly does make it more passable at anyrate, if it was as hard to kill caps in any other wing co game ud be in trouble as a max of 3 wingman just wont be able to take out a cap ship.

The real problem with cap ships in WCP is that you cannot damage capship components at all if you are not carrying torpedoes or flying the Devestator. That means that you can end up in situations in which your wingmen who ARE flying bombers don't have enough torps to kill the cap ship--I ran against this problem most often in the mission where you have to kill the two Tritons that are trying to flee.

and its especially hard when your playing nightmare and half your torp bombers die befor they fire the first torp off.

though on rookie-vetran thats not usually a problem still it would have been nice to be able to damage them with sustained blasts from yuor guins of just normal missles

Lord_Nathrakh said:
and its especially hard when your playing nightmare and half your torp bombers die befor they fire the first torp off.

though on rookie-vetran thats not usually a problem still it would have been nice to be able to damage them with sustained blasts from yuor guins of just normal missles
Then that wouldn't have been a very good shield improvement, would it? ;) That's why on bombing runs, I may not launch a single torpedo. I cover my other bombers (even if I'm flying one) and skin turrets and only use my torps in the end if I have to.

C-ya

Viper your torp style is like mine, but i normally just fireall my anti fighter missles off first then turn on the turrets then go for the sheilds missle launches, engines and brige, but normally by the time ive destroyed the turrewts and missle launchers the bridge and engine has been destroyed anyway

wow . . so, am I the only person that kicked wc3 in the chops on Nightmare? And WC4? I don't think I played Prophecy on nightmare, but my machine isn't really good enough to play prophecy well, anyway.

In light of this, I want to dogfight you people now. Seems like some severe slacker-whippin is in order. Plus, I really want to test my skills against real people and, thusly, get even better.

If I had a computer that would run well enough to do it, and a program to allow it, I'd take anyone on in a Ferret. I kick butt in a Ferret. And I'm pretty decent in a Hellcat V.

And I'm not sure what all of this hatred for Scimitars is. I rocked the Casbah in a Scimitar. I would prefer a Raptor, but a Scimitar is still a good boat if you know how to use her properly. Just don't fly a Scimitar against me in a Ferret. That's asking for fiery shame.

Nick Blitz

is that a challenge i sence? what othe sim games u got? if i have them id glady kill u be quite ammusing....i hunger for a true challenge......sether sums it up there

it is really a pity they didnt add multiplayer ability to wing commander(at least in prophecy). first of all, it provides a wide variety of modes. for example, simple ffa, team match(one team is terrans and the other kilrathi), objective. just like a first person shooter. imagine how successful that would be!

yes it would be successfull but then again it may just be another freespace clone..........that i dont need i want originality in my games and you know game designers never do what fans want

Back