WC III and the Locanda missions

And it just doesn't feel right when you do pick the "other" path just to see the alternate video scenes. Now that I think of it, there are quite a few storylines I haven't ever seen, but I just can't imagine stopping Dekker from kicking Maniac's ass.

Farlander said:
I can't imagine there wouldn't be a court martial if a pilot in an actual military went off on a mission of his own choosing. He's guily of theft of government property (very expensive government property), endangering the lives of fellow personnel, insubordination, and probably several other things.

Thats True, and the setence would be around 30-50 years, maybe more, in a so called diceplin prison. Thats a hell of a punishment,i dont think anyone deserve that just beacouse they are a little mental unstable at the moment and do something stupid or are stupid.... She did not put any other lives in danger, only her own and her spacscrafts life....

Fenris Ulven said:
Thats True, and the setence would be around 30-50 years, maybe more, in a so called diceplin prison. Thats a hell of a punishment,i dont think anyone deserve that just beacouse they are a little mental unstable at the moment and do something stupid or are stupid.... She did not put any other lives in danger, only her own and her spacscrafts life....

Even if that were true, that's bad enough. Her ship is worth a lot to the Confederation, as it she, since Confed invested in her training. Both she and her ship are valuable Confed resources that she is wasting.

But she did risk more than that - the lives of the pilots who had to go and bring her back.

Farlander said:
Even if that were true, that's bad enough. Her ship is worth a lot to the Confederation, as it she, since Confed invested in her training. Both she and her ship are valuable Confed resources that she is wasting.

But she did risk more than that - the lives of the pilots who had to go and bring her back.

Which are you,... But she dident steal the ship, was it not that she just ingored the return order? Anyway, save her life and then take it, more or less, away from her by court martial her? Would better to send her to a brain shrimper or something....

Even by modern military standards, only violent crimes tend to result in prison sentences. The military (and... only presuming... the future military) has always been pretty understanding. On a ship - final authority of judicial punishment rests with the Captain of the vessel in most cases. Although she ran off... she's not exactly a danger to her fellows. Looking at the situation from a military standoff, although 30-50 years in prison IS a possibility, a court martial would have most likely resulted in a dishonorable discharge and some forfeiture of pay and allowances.

Again.... that's just speculation using today's military standards. There are times when the prison sentence would be more appropriate, but those cases usually involve being a direct danger to your comrades.

FlashFire82 said:
Even by modern military standards, only violent crimes tend to result in prison sentences. The military (and... only presuming... the future military) has always been pretty understanding. On a ship - final authority of judicial punishment rests with the Captain of the vessel in most cases. Although she ran off... she's not exactly a danger to her fellows. Looking at the situation from a military standoff, although 30-50 years in prison IS a possibility, a court martial would have most likely resulted in a dishonorable discharge and some forfeiture of pay and allowances.

Again.... that's just speculation using today's military standards. There are times when the prison sentence would be more appropriate, but those cases usually involve being a direct danger to your comrades.

Hm, the military often like to statuat a exampel. Pay for a longbow, wow, after one life time, were you pay most of your salary, you may have paid 1/10 of what it cost. Dishounor is okay, but not very nice, but then the army isent very nice either of course.

The reason you went after her, if you did, was beacouse of her, not her ship....

What do you mean, not a danger? By going AWOL to fight your own vendetta, you still put other's lives at risk simply by not doing your job. WC3 even emphasized that- if you go track down Hobbes, one of your wingmen gets killed BECAUSE you weren't there to do your job (which not only is to subdue the enemy, but also to protect your comrades). And that's being generous- what if everyone on the Victory got torped because of your dereliction of duty?

Military operations depend upon rigid discipline. Frankly, I would be surprised to see an individual go more or less scot-free with a dishonorable discharge for abandoning their post during wartime, and as for mentally unstable people, they shouldn't be fighting, because they are a danger to themselves, their comrades, and the overall war effort.

Spertallica said:
What do you mean, not a danger? By going AWOL to fight your own vendetta, you still put other's lives at risk simply by not doing your job. WC3 even emphasized that- if you go track down Hobbes, one of your wingmen gets killed BECAUSE you weren't there to do your job (which not only is to subdue the enemy, but also to protect your comrades). And that's being generous- what if everyone on the Victory got torped because of your dereliction of duty?

Military operations depend upon rigid discipline. Frankly, I would be surprised to see an individual go more or less scot-free with a dishonorable discharge for abandoning their post during wartime, and as for mentally unstable people, they shouldn't be fighting, because they are a danger to themselves, their comrades, and the overall war effort.

Hm, guess that you have right, but still i think court martial is a little far to go... the brig is much more effective...

Putting her on trial is kind of harsh... why not just throw her in jail?

This is a bizarre thread.

Bandit LOAF said:
Putting her on trial is kind of harsh... why not just throw her in jail?

This is a bizarre thread.

2X agree, its true its kind of bizzare thread, but a fun and interesting one. And i agree that court martial is vey harsh. People often get very strict treatment there...

They can just do the US Navy's standard policy towards dirtbags who screw up these days: Captain's Mast, 45 days restriction (extra duty), 45 days confinement to base/ship, half pay for two months. That's standard for enlisted, worse for officers.

As for how it relates to the WC world, Flint did get a transfer request denied after her screwup, and she did pull extra duty on Victory as a watch officer after she got temporarily grounded. As for half pay, it was never specified, but it is a good possibility.

hm, sounds like a fear punshiment. Did you read it in the novel? Just courious...

I doubt that anyone cares abot the payment in a conflict like that:
"hey, what do i care if we loose the war as long as i get my payment!?"

It wouldn't be fair to punish Flint for her mission unless Blair is punished for the same thing should you choose to go after Hobbes against Eisen's orders. Flint only put herself, her ship, and anyone who went after her in danger. If you choose to go after Hobbes you put everyone in the fleet in danger. Even though I support the idea that it's strategically better to go after Hobbes to make sure he doesn't give info to the Kilrathi- you have to go around the Captain (like Flint did) to do it. In the game I first chose to go after Hobbes, but when I found out Vaquero dies, I replayed without chasing Hobbes.

Probably the correct thing in this situation in the wing commander universe is a court martial since after you come back from chasing Hobbes, Captain Eisen does say "what you deserve is a court martial mister for disobeying my orders." Maybe this was just him speaking his mind but I actually agree with him here. Like Blair says to Flint (provided you choose it) "if this were peace time I'd grouind you faster than a tachyon. Now that's an indulgence we can't afford," Blair probably isn't punished by Eisen because of the exact same reason.

The Go after Hobbes vs Stay in the victory choice is lose/lose. Whatever you do ends up being bad... But staying and keeping Vaquero alive is the lesser evil. After all, we know that it doesn't stop us from bombing Kilrah.

The whole game is full of situations where pilots act on instinct and do something maybe they shouldn't of. Later in the game Vagabond lands on the Kilrathi prision planet to deck Dr. Sevrin.

It's things like this that make a good and interesting storyline, so in my opinion the more there is of situations where pilots do things they shouldn't the better (without going too far of course).

On the topic of pilots doing things they shouldn't, Vagabond really should have been punished more for decking Dr. Severin. If he had done brain damage to the guy (I know he didn't punch him in the head) then he might have jeopardised confed's chance of winning the war via the temblor bomb. However, as Blair said, "the brig is no place for a pilot of Vagabond's skills." I liked Vagabond anyway, so I was glad he got off lightly.

Back