WC III and the Locanda missions

ck9791

Rear Admiral
I know that in the Heart of the Tiger novel Locanda is destroyed by the Kilrathi bioweapons, however in the game you are given the chance to save the planet by intercepting the kilrathi missiles. After you try to destroy the missiles and make your way back to the Victory, you receive a message telling you that Flint is pursuing a personal vendetta against the Kilrathi and you have the option of going to save her or not. If you don't, I believe Cobra brings her back. Then later on the Victory you have the option of grounding Flint.

I was wondering whether people choose to go after Flint, and then whether or not they ground her? I always go after Flint and bring her back. However I tend to go back and forth on whether I punish her by grounding her or letting it slide. Sometimes I rationalize with her and think what would I do if my planet were attacked. Other times I feel that as Wing Commander I need to set an example, orders need to be followed.

I only had the PSX version, and I don't think you could go after Flint. But you could Ground her, which I Didn't do, as she's a Great Pilot, and Confed needs all the pilots it can get

I always went after her unless my fighter was for some reason way too damaged, and I never grounded her, which is odd considering I rarely ever use her as a wingman in WC3.

I alternate between choices as well, normally i ground her, only to reinstate her some time later in Blackmane. Realistically, you couldn't allow someone who has, or may have a deathwish to fly on anyone's wing.

I always went after her. The first time I played, I grounded her- probably mostly to show that I wasn't a pushover (I always did the "tough luck, I'm the boss" to let her know I was "the man"), but also because I was lucky to make it back in one piece after dealing with the Cruiser. Later I found out that those choices can actually hurt morale and all you're doing is missing out on the option of choosing Flint (who I usually didn't choose anyway). When I played through again, I didn't ground her. I can actually understand her mission- her brother and probably alot of people she knew died because of the Kilrathi, her mission reminded me of an American ace of WWI named Frank Luke, and the final suicide mission he went on: http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/luke.htm

Am I the only WC fan that's not a huge military history buff? Heck... I'm IN the military... in any case... I always grounded her... it's the principal of the thing, I think. I understand where they're coming from on the morale aspect, but I would've worked something in that might have been beneficial to ground her...

I pretty much always went after her, but I refrained from grounding her. In this instance, I felt it was wiser to give her a chance to prove herself again. Grounding her would have likely turned her bitter against Confed as well as the Kilrathi ("The Kilrathi destroyed my family, and Confed punised me for trying to save them!"), making her a prime candidate for a double agent. That way, she could hurt both sides for what they had done to her.

But then again, I may be overanalyzing things. I have a tendency to do that.

Considering how Flint never thinks twice before abandoning you when the action gets hot I would have liked the option of putting her out the airlock. That, and she's not all that good looking.

I usually went after her just because I liked blowing up another Frathli Mk II and grounding her just depending what I felt like at the moemet.

On first play I did go after her and grounded her. Then got her back on duty at the soonest time possible afterwards.

I bought her flowers and gave her a promotion. Are there no consequences for disobeying direct orders during wartime and endangering the lives of fellow pilots in the future?

I always went after her, except when I accidentally hit the wrong key. Most of the time I grounded her, and she still got the hots for me later in the war. :D

I always whent after her. I mean the bio warhead mission his so easy I felt guilty landing and calling myself the savior of an entire world. And besides, the dialogue is better if you don't put off the flight rooster. "if this was peacetime, I'd ground you faster than a tachyon"... oh what delightfull wordplay. bravo.

Looks like I'm among the few who did Not went after her most of the time. She was'nt a reliable wingman, and i really didn't fall for her :) Most of the times i played though i didN't really care to ground her or not, cause she wasn't flying on my side at all... as far as i can remember, i grounded her, then made put her up on the roster again...

On my first time through I went after Flint and then did not ground her as she was one of the wingmen that actually did follow your orders unlike Maniac who would always reply "not possible ace" or something like that.

"What are you, my mother?" -Maniac
Yeah, that was a bit annoying, but he was still faaaaaaaar better in frieing furballs :)
Although i tried to use someone else most of the time.. Hobbes was a weak fighter also, but he followed orders at least. And btw, i like cats :D

I agree that Maniac is the better pilot but he keeps going off and doing his own thing and I hear "ooh more kitty litter, I'm hot today" too often, preventing me from hogging all the kills to myself (yeah I know, I'm greedy). I prefferd someone like Flint or Hobbes who would happily sit back and do nothing unless I said otherwise.

Back