Wc fans not liking Freespace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeHah wins my money:(

The sales of two computer games (of the same *kind* of computer games) are *not* 'impossible to compare'.

I will do this now:

One of them is higher than the other.

In this case, one of them is MUCH MUCH MUCH higher than the other.

Hence my use of the VERY COMMON EXPRESSION "is exponentially higher than".

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
LeHah wins my money:(

The sales of two computer games (of the same *kind* of computer games) are *not* 'impossible to compare'.

I will do this now:

One of them is higher than the other.

In this case, one of them is MUCH MUCH MUCH higher than the other.

Hence my use of the VERY COMMON EXPRESSION "is exponentially higher than".

Nice Comparison.

Originally posted by Pedro
The first RE had next to no plot and had the series continued to focus merely on scares it would not be the successful franchise that it is today, theres a very intricate plot there and I would have said its become less about the killing and more about said plot, infact RE1 was possibly the hardest

Not an important post here, but I'd like to clear things up by saying that the first RE is being re-released for the GameCube with more story elements added that were removed from the original game. You'll also have to remember that no sequel was anticipated at first.

Anyway, I thought I'd say that. In any case, I find this to be kind of funny. It seems to me that Pedro is saying that he means "exponentially" in colloquial conversation, while LOAF literally means "exponentially". But my question is this, LOAF:

What is the exponential equasion that shows us just how much more one sold over the other?

Wow, that degenerated fast...

Before anyone starts ripping on me, I'll say I'm not purely a WC fan. I'm a fan of space sims. WC is/was an exceptional space sim series that pulled you in via its characters and the audacity of the enemies you were fighting. The draw of the X-Wing series was the ability to fly in the SW universe. Freespace tried to be something completely different, and it did manage this, but it didn't truly pull it off till the second game. True, you don't really meet/care about any of the characters, and there's no draw to an as yet unseen universe, but it did have it's draw: plot twists out the wazoo. I thought they were intelligent, sometimes scary, twists that made the fight a whole new ballgame, something you rarely, if ever, saw in the other two series. Traps, for instance, were fairly easy to spot in the WC/XW games simply by the brevity of the briefings. Freespace, and its sequel (moreso its sequel), showed that it was a dynamic universe, and that wierd things could happen really fast, thereby changing the whole mission and making the briefing moot. I also don't think the FS games were in any way a WC 'ripoff.' Professing that is simply being childish. As I mentioned in my previous post, there are only so many things you can do with a space sim. Teaming up with a previous enemy to fight a far-advanced foe is a pretty standard issue conflict.

Sales aside, I think all three of the series I mentioned were good solid game series that don't deserved to be trashed and squabbled about, but seen for what is good about them.

But, again: What do I know? :)

I know about the Gamecube re release (not to mention the updated RE2, 3 and CV as well as exclusive RE4 and RE0) and I am very happy about it :)
You're right they didn't know at first about the sequel but then 3/4 of the way through a lot of plot was cut so that sequels could be made possible (some of the missing stuff is explained in weskers report) but to be honest I like the whole rival coporation idea, I'm looking forward to seeing what umbrellas competition role has actually been in this, anyway getting off the point. Yes the 1st game contradicts in a few ways what they want to do with the series, this hindered plot progression with the other games and is why they are now finally remaking it with certain alterations, one of these contradictions forced RE0 to be delayed until after the RE remake (presumably Rebecca chambers role). I would like to see all that plot reintegrated into RE1 since its not essential to the series but is intresting :)

As for other space combat games I love the type of flight but good ones are hard to come by, I didn't get along with IW2, X beyond the frontier won't work properly with my FF2 (the joystick goes all limp can't find the option to change it) and XWA bored me to death.
Did love X-Wing, Tie Fighter, FS2, starlancer and FS1 were ok. But to be honest I am most looking forward to VS (if you haven't already sign up for the mailing list, very technical but very cool)

Originally posted by Saturnyne
What is the exponential equasion that shows us just how much more one sold over the other?
Take 2^x = 4
log(base 2)4 = 2

similarly 3^x = 27
log(base 3)27 = 3

therefore log(base F2 Sales)WCP Sales = exponential

Hmmm strange phrase then, an exponent can be anything so exponentially bigger means... nothing :(

Pedro, let it go! It's just a figure of speech. You might argue that using it to compare WCP to F2 sales was an exaggeration but sheesh - it's a commonly used term.

Originally posted by Pedro
Well lets see the curve and scales :)

Curve? Scales? Are you the HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU? ONE OF THE NUMBERS IS MUCH HIGHER THAN THE OTHERS.

I see TEN CARS. John sees TEN MILLION CARS. JOHN SEES MORE CARS THAN I DO.

A VERY COMMON ENGLISH PHRASE might be that JOHN SEES EXPONENTIALLY HIGHER NUMBER OF CARS THAN I DO.

Hence, the original point which you are VERY STUPIDLY COMPLETELY IGNORING is that WING COMMANDER PROPHECY SOLD MANY, MANY TIMES THE NUMBER OF COPIES THAT FREESPACE DID.

Now allow me to be INCREDIBLY LITERAL since you are TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND ANYTHING ELSE: Freespace 2 sold under 10,000 copies. Wing Commander Prophecy sold around 750,000 copies.

And here's the incredible leap of logic that YOU ARE TOO GODDAMN DAFT TO UNDERSTAND IN THE FIRST PLACE: 750,000 is A MUCH MUCH LARGER NUMBER than 10,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back