Wc fans not liking Freespace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Zor Prime
You know what I really hated about the FS series? The fact that when you lost a mission, you had to play it over and over and oer and over and over and over..............kind of dumb. Wing Commander actually put you on a losing path, which was cool.

Thats what i like about wing commander, you can lose, in real life there is no replay button, I often never repeat a mission cause you couldn't do that in reality could you... thats one of my main critisims of the tie-fighter series, and most other space sims, you have to play the same mission until you win.....(playing the same mission 20 odd times makes you feel Nuh...NUTTY!)

Ok Lehah this so ain't right.

Freespace 2 justly got a lot of praise from a lot of people, and if people only ever said they liked something when they knew that everyone around them agreed we'd have VERY sterile conversations, are you telling me that everyone here is so narrow minded they can't accept another point of view without flaming?

The first RE had next to no plot and had the series continued to focus merely on scares it would not be the successful franchise that it is today, theres a very intricate plot there and I would have said its become less about the killing and more about said plot, infact RE1 was possibly the hardest (well as chris anyway)

Perfect Dark was not a GE rip off since it was from the same team using the same engine just like everyone was crying out for. I have to say I enjoyed PD more first time through while GE had more replay value. IF something works then I couldn't give a rats ass if the formula was taken from something else :)

I'd be intrested to know what games go into your all time favourite collection LeHah?

Space combat sales in general do, incase you never noticed if someone never buys a game they can't actually form an educated opinion about it.

Wing Commanders' sales were always great... as were the Star Wars games. Both series were unique, and each brought something new to the table.

StarLancer and Freespace sold very poorly because they were lame Wing Commander ripoffs.

In your opinion, didn't WCP sell fairly poorly? not that bad but.... enough to indicate (when added to WCIVs sales) that Space combat just might be on a downward spiral.

Pedro, I remember a severe lack of WCP boxes at the local software stores. When WCP Gold came out, it literally disapeared except for the last box of the last shipment which all the cheap people were waiting to go down to 15 bucks before leaping on it like Kilrathi hunters on a rabbit.

Sadly, I didn't get it. That was a taumatic experience which I am still seing a P-sychiatrist about...butthatsadifferentstory.

WCP.

Yeah.

Originally posted by Pedro
In your opinion, didn't WCP sell fairly poorly? not that bad but.... enough to indicate (when added to WCIVs sales) that Space combat just might be on a downward spiral.

Prophecy sold far more than IV. And it sold exponentially better than StarLancer/Freespace 2.

(Incidentally, Freespace 1 sold allright -- and then nobody bought FS2... hmmmm!)

Originally posted by LeHah
Resident Evil sucks because the original creator didn't have anything to do with the sequels, which are more about action and less about horror. RE:C:V is a bloody joke to anyone with a decent IQ or attention span.
I don't agree with your logic. By this reasoning wouldn't P2TD have to suck because Chris Roberts didn't do it?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Prophecy sold far more than IV. And it sold exponentially better than StarLancer/Freespace 2.
The point here may not be how well/poorly the game sold but how profitable it was. Did the game sell well enough to make it profitable? WCP may have sold better than SL/F2 but I would be surprised if their production costs were as high as WCP's.

Space combat sales in general do, incase you never noticed if someone never buys a game they can't actually form an educated opinion about it.
That just means they all sold poorly, nothing more.

Prophecy had an incredibly low production cost for a FMV title... and the fact that it sold 70 times as many comes as Freespace 2 certainly makes up for this <G>

Well I shouldn't have to justify my liking it (or RE or PD), if I want to I can play vodka shot or tiddly winks and hopefully NOT get insulted for it. If FS1 sold well and 2 didn't maybe I can understand that :) I really didn't enjoy FS1, it was really slow and dull.

And how can exponentially apply to two items?

In the expression "X is exponentially better than Y", X and Y *cannot* be the same thing.

"Wing Commander Prophecy sold exponentially better than Wing Commander Prophecy" *DOESN'T MAKE SENSE*.

Great but my point actually was 2 isn't enough to spot an exponential pattern and thats ignoring the fact there is no linear scale to judge that the sales are changing a specfic percentage over a defined length of said scale.

Freespace 2 justly got a lot of praise from a lot of people, and if people only ever said they liked something when they knew that everyone around them agreed we'd have VERY sterile conversations, are you telling me that everyone here is so narrow minded they can't accept another point of view without flaming?

I'm not flaming, YOU are flaming. After all, you are the minority in this arguement on this board.

The first RE had next to no plot and had the series continued to focus merely on scares it would not be the successful franchise that it is today, theres a very intricate plot there and I would have said its become less about the killing and more about said plot, infact RE1 was possibly the hardest

Weaving minor plot ideas between half a dozen games isn't intricate, thats just subplotting repeatedly. The first RE was about survival in an enclosed enviroment. Sure, the puzzles were usually silly, but that game was heads above it's sequels.

Yeah, RE1 was the hardest, but it was also the best since it had more to do with enviroment than attractive women in sweaters toating machine guns in a one-woman fight against a city full of zombies.

Perfect Dark was not a GE rip off since it was from the same team using the same engine just like everyone was crying out for. I have to say I enjoyed PD more first time through while GE had more replay value. IF something works then I couldn't give a rats ass if the formula was taken from something else.

Ok, you're right in one respect, they didn't rip themselves off. They recycled GE. Happy now? :)

I'd be intrested to know what games go into your all time favourite collection LeHah?

Final Fantasy Tactics, Wing Commander III, Jedi Knight, Final Fantasy IX, Double Dragon II, Weaponlord, Actraiser, Medal of Honor and X-Wing for starters.

Ah, here is the problem: you're stupid. 2^2 -- the little two is the exponent. It means "multiply the total by itself this number of times". 3^3 would be 3x3x3. The claim in this case, that Prophecy's sales are exponentially higher than Freespaces, means that Prophecy sold more copies than Freespace 2 did to an exponent. Prophecy Sales > Freespace 2^2 or somesuch.

Hey LOAF, Five will get you ten he'll make another invalid attempt at a logical way out of this. :)

Ahhh well see theres the problem, in normal conversation something is said to be growing exponentially, not exponentially greater, ie it has to be growing or shrinking in an exponential manner, this can not apply to two items. If people actually used it in the method you are McDonalds could say our Cheesburger is exponentially cheaper than Burger Kings, yeah 99^1.0000012
But you are right in one respect, however there still has to be some guage, for any useful information. You can't just take two completley unrelated items.

I have more respect for someone who can bearly add two numbers together than I do for someone who can say a compliment without shuddering it and turning it around to an insult. Learn to hold back insults, what do you want to do to the WC community? You don't have to think highly of anyone but that beahviour in your own board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back