"Warning! Failed CRC Check"

well, like you told me to answer yes to the question of overwriting the PKUNZIP file. well, i did that and disks 2 thru 6 kept asking me that well answering yes to each disk, it said on disks 2 thru 6, 1 file copied well i figured each disk contained more than just one file well typed in the execution command and the screen still comes up blank and hard drive stops spinning
well so far im stumped:(

i think it means: cycular redundancy check, a few people have told me it could be a bad file but this is third copy ive bought plus idid a scandisk on each disk thru dos and no errors came up im running it on a compaq presario 425, pentium with overdrive, soundblaster 16, 16mb of ram, 8 bit video card, WIN95, dos ver.4.00, did you need my config.sys and autoexec.bat?

You say you have three copies, surely for each bad disk - of which there must be another two - you could squeeze a working copy from them?

Originally posted by Loozer
i think it means: cycular redundancy check, a few people have told me it could be a bad file but this is third copy ive bought plus idid a scandisk on each disk thru dos and no errors came up im running it on a compaq presario 425, pentium with overdrive, soundblaster 16, 16mb of ram, 8 bit video card, WIN95, dos ver.4.00, did you need my config.sys and autoexec.bat?
I know about the "cycular redundancy check" You have mention having a SCSI card. Are your hard drive connected to it? What hard driver(s) do your have?

You have both Win95 and DOS 4.0. Are you dual booting?

"You must have DOS 5.0 or higher installed on a 386DX/33MHz or better to run Privateer CD. A
386DX/ 33MHz is required, as older CPUs do not have the processing power to run Privateer CD."

If you have been trying to install is on the DOS side it won't work on DOS v4. You must have version 5 or better. You could install it on the Win95 side in real DOS mode. You would need a bootdisk for this. Post your c:\autoexec.bat, c:\config.sys, and c:\windows\dosstart.bat.

Originally posted by Wedge009
You say you have three copies, surely for each bad disk - of which there must be another two - you could squeeze a working copy from them?

to clarify, i did have three copies i threw the other 2 away for three reasons: (1) they were pretty cheap (2) i figured i would find a copy in which case all the disks work or at least give me a different error (3) and believing of the superstition: "the third times a charm." in which case that belief has definitely turned in a hate towards it :mad:

i had one question john before posting my cofig.sys etc. etc.
could editing my config.sys etc.etc. put conflicts in playing my other dos games that are already installed?

If you think the game is so cheap that you can afford to throw two of them out, go buy a CD version. You´ll get Righteous Fire too, plus speech.

Originally posted by Johnl12
I know about the "cycular redundancy check" You have mention having a SCSI card. Are your hard drive connected to it? What hard driver(s) do your have?

its not connected to the scsi card its a western digital caviar 400mb

Originally posted by Starkey
If you think the game is so cheap that you can afford to throw two of them out, go buy a CD version. You´ll get Righteous Fire too, plus speech.

as i have mentioned before this computer is not a tower its an all in one compaq presario 425 it was made in 1994 it does not have a slot for a cd rom drive it has a scsi port so i would have to find a cd rom drive that has the scsi plug and is external they are very difficult to find

i had one question john before posting my cofig.sys etc. etc.
could editing my config.sys etc.etc. put conflicts in playing my other dos games that are already installed?
We are talking about a bootdisk, we are not going modify the systems files on the hard drive. A bootdisk is a floppy with systems files independent from the PC. I never recommend modilying the PC systems files as to avoid any problems. This bootdisk will be design for P1 only, but you could modily it for other games.

...Compaq Presario 425... made in 1994 it does not have a slot for a CD-ROM drive...
I had something similar, it was a murder trying to install anything from CD - I had to make sure there was enough room on the hard drive and then connect a second computer with a CD-ROM drive via laplink, copy the relevant install files to a directory, then install from there :eek:. I'm so glad the Compaq I'm using has a 'standard' slot for CD-ROMs.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I had something similar, it was a murder trying to install anything from CD - I had to make sure there was enough room on the hard drive and then connect a second computer with a CD-ROM drive via laplink, copy the relevant install files to a directory, then install from there :eek:. I'm so glad the Compaq I'm using has a 'standard' slot for CD-ROMs.

yea, iwould break down and get another older system but shipping and handling is very expensive, the irony of it, is i work for a worldwide parcel service :D

yes....:D I finally have a problem no one can solve.
Because you won't make a bootdisk. You won't let it be solve. You're the reason it can't be solve.

well if it is an error on my disk? how does making a bootdisk help? and do you just want my config.sys and autoexec.bat?

well if it is an error on my disk? how does making a bootdisk help? and do you just want my config.sys and autoexec.bat?
Are you listening to yourself? Did you read anything I wrote? Why would I want your system files? You came here for help, but you think you know more than we do. This game won't work on DOS 4, it needs DOS 5. Win95 has DOS 7. You do the math. I have built over 300 systems. How many have you built? Just forget it your not worth my time. Four pages of you debating everything we tell you to do. What a waste of bandwidth.:mad:

Why would I want your system files?

Post your c:\autoexec.bat, c:\config.sys, and c:\windows\dosstart.bat.

I'm seeing a contradiction there.

You came here for help, but you think you know more than we do. This game won't work on DOS 4, it needs DOS 5. Win95 has DOS 7. You do the math.

If you know more than he does, then why haven't you told him exactly how to install a newer version of DOS and exactly how to create a boot-disk? Giving him vague instructions isn't going to help.

I have built over 300 systems. How many have you built?

Get off your high horse, John. Nobody cares about your job, so stop talking about it.

Just forget it your not worth my time. Four pages of you debating everything we tell you to do. What a waste of bandwidth.

It may be four pages for you, but it's only two for me. Perhaps you should set your number of posts per page to a higher number. Maybe then you wouldn't get so upset over an irrelevant detail.

Back