"Warning! Failed CRC Check"

Loozer

Rear Admiral
this is the error i keep getting on my system while installing Privateer on my comp. this is the third copy ive purchased and i keep getting this: "WARNING FAILED CRC CHECK". well it ends up telling me installation is complete and all that good stuff. i type priv to play the game, then screen goes blank. i was told that there could be an error on the floppy disks, well ive used scandisk on each floppy disk of the game, and there are no errors on them (seeing how this is the third copy ive gotten). are there any copies of privateer out there with out any errors on them if thats the problem.
and also is there anyone else out there that installed the game and had gotten the same error

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

look! all i have is a scci port on the back of this comp. there is no hook up for a cd rom drive, unless it uses the scci port and it has to be external. they are too hard to find. ive checked ebay numerous times.

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

The other probable error would be with the drive. Either dirty read heads or just a plain old broken floppy drive...

ive installed two AD&D games on this system after i tried installing PRIVATEER. of course, there werent as many disks to the games, but the games are older and they played great

what commands do i give to create the dir john? i know dos, but i need step by step help. i appreciate it.

Your kidding. If you know DOS you should know these basic commands. md, copy, cd.

A directory is the same as a folder.

While at the root of c:\ type md privinst this will make c:\privinst directory.

Now from the a:\ type copy *.* c:\privinst
Copy each floppy to c:\privinst
Make sure you get the spacing correct.

Once this is done cd to c:\privinst and run the "install.exe"

This site list basic DOS commands.
http://www.easydos.com/dosindex.html

You can also make directories in windows and copy the floppy too.

thanx john i knew md was the make director command but i dint know if to use the wildcards or not(*) thanx ill try it

john i tried what you told me in and at the second disk it asked: "PKUNZIP 'do you want to to overwrite this file" i didnt know what to put so i stopped there any more advice?

Originally posted by Loozer
john i tried what you told me in and at the second disk it asked: "PKUNZIP 'do you want to to overwrite this file" i didnt know what to put so i stopped there any more advice?
Yes.

sorry to post another question but is it possible to play privateer on floopy in ms-dos, using win98, just curious.

well i tried it john and it didnt do it any other ideas do you need my config.sys or autoexec.bat

Yes he does. Please post them.

Instead of a bootdisk you can boot straight to DOS in Win98, just press F8 before the splash screen comes up (when the cursor flashes in the top left corner) and select "command line prompt" (or something similar).

But first post your autoexec and config here, please.

Originally posted by Loozer
well i tried it john and it didnt do it any other ideas do you need my config.sys or autoexec.bat
Didn't do what? Didn't give that same error or didn't install?

Back