Tolwyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm, did anyone notice how some of the pilot profiles in Star * Soldier used the images of the 'filler' pilots from the briefing scenes in WC2? just from that list that LOAF posted, you can ID Amber "Amazon" Elbereth, Joe "Hollywood" Turner, Anthony "Hard-Luck" Lee, Kevin "Lonewolf" Tolwyn, and Marcus "Fish" Keen.

.......especially since Malcolm McDowell played him in WC3. Not like they couldn't have found a black actor to play him for WC3 if he was.

Img42.gif

Personally, I would have cast Dr. Huxtable's dad. I had never even considered that the WC2 Tolwyn might not be intended to be a black man.

Blair's hair color was known to be a bit eccentric, and Paladin was described as being blond in Freedom Flight, but that didn't affect which actors they chose for the live video either.

Look bottom line i might be wrong about Tolwyn, but my general observations are not uncorrect.

Im not 100% sure of the validity of this link but its seems relativly legitimate.

Have a read of this article and you make a decision.

You decide

Id think im pretty close to the truth as ethnic groups develop different facial structure due to thier diet and the need for stronger facial muscles to consume the foods prevlent in different diets.

I dont mean to sound like a racist but haven't you noticed that different ethic groups uh look "different" from each other and not just on the basis of skin color. Mind you, that due to modern cultural mixing this might change quite soon, and considering that then perhaps the humans of the future will be a melange of the different ethnic groups.

@ Durandel ~~~ dude go play xeno saga or something or return to port Broughton unless you have relative arguments that counter my points, which so far not one of you have been able to deliver on and if you cant shut me down with proper arguments then your all as juvenile as you seem to think I am.

You're free to think that too, if it makes you feel better ;)

It does make me feel better that I'm correct based on fact, thank you.

Look bottom line i might be wrong about Tolwyn, but my general observations are not uncorrect.

Your "general observations" - a passive-aggressive term if there ever was one, yeesh - are completely incorrect since they lead you to an incorrect conclusion. Stop trying to save face and admit your fault.

Id think im pretty close to the truth as ethnic groups develop different facial structure due to thier diet and the need for stronger facial muscles to consume the foods prevlent in different diets.

He doesn't have facial muscles or a diet, he's a cartoon drawing made in response to the original character description: "Admiral Tolwyn is a handsome English man inhis early fifties. He's tough, competent, and extmrely loyal and supportive of his underlings." (WC2 Bible)

What you're saying doesn't even make sense in the context of Wing Commander being 'real' - even if he were black for some reason he certainly didn't grow up consuming subsistence foods. He's the favorite son of a rich, influencial family who spent his pampered youth at prestigious schools and who grew up to be a knighted Admiral. The things you are saying don't relate to Admiral Tolwyn.

Port Broughton is the Midway-class carrier in Arena.

First off, I don't know what any of you said meant, but I'll be sure to get translation working on a copy.

Second, your "article" isn't an article. It's a question posed to an "expert" on an "expert" website that has no reply.

Thirdly, without breaking down human evolution/adaptation for you, yes people look different, the genetic differences between people however are extremely small, while the vast majority of the code is exactly the same. If a gene offered an advantage and the carriers of that gene successfully reproduced and so forth.

Lastly, you are talking about a cartoon talking head. It's pretty clear that Tolwyn is white so I don't know why you are then shitting on the thread by trying to turn it into a discussion of differences of human facial structure. If you want answers to this there are plenty of real anthropological sites as well as, scholarly journals which answer this question. No one gives a shit about your crappy link and your belief that he is really black. Stop trying to smarten up your argument, you'll only give yourself a headache.

@ Durandel ~~~ dude go play xeno saga or something or return to port Broughton unless you have relative arguments that counter my points, which so far not one of you have been able to deliver on and if you cant shut me down with proper arguments then your all as juvenile as you seem to think I am.
Yes, different ethnic groups look different - welcome to 10 thousand years ago.

Didn't you notice that LOAF has already debunked all of your so-called arguments when he showed you that Tolwyn looks absolutely fucking exactly like Paladin in both skin tone and facial structure, except with more wrinkles and different hair? Now compare Tolwyn's mouth and nose to Downtown's and Doomsday's - those two have fuller lips and completely different noses.

There's only a few dozen pixels for you to look at, really. It's not some god damned rocket science.

It's not like in the 1950s, when people like Tolwyn had to use a separate internet.

... you know, one for British people.

Im not 100% sure of the validity of this link but its seems relativly legitimate.

You decide

I dont mean to sound like a racist but haven't you noticed that different ethic groups uh look "different" from each other and not just on the basis of skin color. Mind you, that due to modern cultural mixing this might change quite soon, and considering that then perhaps the humans of the future will be a melange of the different ethnic groups.

Uh... this isn't a peer-reviewed paper or anything. It's just a response to a question posted on the internet. Sounds like you're just going around trying to find external support post hoc for something you already believe.

The canon establishes Tolwyn's background. Even if you didn't know the canon, again - Dundradal and LOAF put it best. It's just a cartoon talking head! It's just art in 256 colors. That craggy, not-entirely-anatomically-proportional face is only barely more photorealistic than your average anime character. It doesn't matter to me what impression you got from Tolwyn's talking head when you played the game, and I admit I think that sometimes the whole PC thing has spun way out of control - but you keep maintaining that you're not racist, and yet you make a comment like this:

~~~ yea he has a skin condition called Afro Niggaris

as jokes go, it's not very funny. Your impression is your impression. But you've offered so much pushback on the correction that, well, I'm pretty much ready to side with LeHah at this point. Not that he cares.

It's not that your original statement makes you look juvenile - it's your continuing insistence on the reasonableness of your mistake that makes you look juvenile.

(To be clear, I've seen one or two people who say the same thing over the years - the actual reason is that while Tolwyn has the same skin tone as Blair or Stingray, he wears a *white* shirt instead of a dark blue one... so his face seems darker. It's a trick of the light, not anything intentional.)

You decide

How the hell did my inquiry of how they were able to get him turn into a racial argument? This is the sort of thing of thing I hate. Someone makes a moronic and racially charged comment, both sides argue the point, tempers flare, and both sides leave with views more extreme then when the whole thing started. Look, Tolwyn is white, and Downtown is black period. (I always thought doomsday was more like Samoin(SP??) or some tribal group from that region?)

In any case I'm now sorry I asked the question in the first place.

How the hell did my inquiry of how they were able to get him turn into a racial argument? This is the sort of thing of thing I hate. Someone makes a moronic and racially charged comment, both sides argue the point, tempers flare, and both sides leave with views more extreme then when the whole thing started. Look, Tolwyn is white, and Downtown is black period. (I always thought doomsday was more like Samoin(SP??) or some tribal group from that region?)

In any case I'm now sorry I asked the question in the first place.

Don't be, frosty. These things happen. Manners on the internet are generally very poor. You only started this thread as a well-deserved compliment to Standoff (and Davies). Without prescience, I doubt anyone could have foreseen where it went. (I mean, really. Totally out of left field.)

I think Doomsday is Maori. If he's not Maori by ethnicity, he may be Maori by adopted culture.

Maverick: "Uh, Doomsday... I have to ask."
Doomsday: "Yes, I can see you're curious. What you are seeing are the markings of a Maori warrior."

(approximate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back