The crossbow cockpit looks FANTASTIC!

The nukes on warsaw and sirius and anti-matter strikes on earth would probably look better and be a lot more embracing as we get to watch them streak down and explode...kinda sux since my house gets leveled by the AM rocket that hits boston...

Oh, sure, if it´s possible I say put a camera on an anti-matter warhead and make an FMV sequence of it since leaving the Hakaga until slamming Earth. :)
<wakes up>
If something like that proves too hard to be done, Delance´s idea will do fine. :D

Delance said:
What could be done is to change the image from mission to mission. So, in mission A the planet is OK, but in mission 2 it's nuked. Actually, a planet-wide bombardment could even generate some terrible effects that would seem to be, for an observer in space, still.
The problem with that is that, in most cases, there aren't any more missions in the system after all its planets get nuked.

Delance said:
Origin did something similar on WC4, where the Earth keeps getting closer and closer on the missions.
Yeah, the Earth gets closer and closer on our Sol missions too. And Mars gets farther and farther. :p

johnhawke said:
You know, it's really disgusting for someone to be as talented an artist as Eder is. ;)
Uh, thank you. :D

Eder said:
The problem with that is that, in most cases, there aren't any more missions in the system after all its planets get nuked.

Yeah, that's a problem. Maybe there's a way to cincumvent that? Like, stopping to "reload" so you can change the background?

Eder said:
Yeah, the Earth gets closer and closer on our Sol missions too. And Mars gets farther and farther. :p

Neat, it gives a good dramatic effect, a sense of urgency.

Actually, if we have to show the messed up planets in the game engine, the best way would probably be to add a cutscene of the Confed fleet retreating from each sector after it is lost, with the destroyed planets in the background.

That doesn't change the fact that the actual bombardment wouldn't be seen by the player, but I don't think there's any way to do that properly... Showing a cutscene of Kilrathi ships approaching a planet, then a loading screen, and then the planet in (motionless) flames wouldn't quite work. :)

The cutscene of the retreating fleet could be effective, with a certain WC1/WC2 flavor to it. Also, from space, the flames would seem to be motionless. To show a a planet from a space POV with moving flames wouldn't look very realistic. Think about Kilrah on WCP.

Yeah, that's probably right. Still, cutting to a loading screen and the showing the planet already messed up would be lame, so the retreat cutscene is the best I can think of.

Yes the retreating cutscene was what I was talking about. :p

It's a nice idea. It has dramatic effect without the need of complex cutscenes.

Damn, this makes me want to model cockpits for WCSaga too! Too bad the engine doesn't support them. :)

Also, just out of curiosity, why are you working on the main campaign missions if the prologue missions aren´t done yet?

tango said:
Eder, have we cockpits to all confed ships?. What about the sim ships missions?
In the sim we will re-use cockpits for different ships. The original plan was to have more unique cockpits, but I'm getting more and more busy with university as each week passes... :(

Currents plans are for cockpits are only using the 5 we have now: Stiletto/Morningstar/Ferret/Epee, Rapier/Hornet/Tarsus, Sabre/Talon/Wraith, Crossbow, Gladius/Raptor/Broadsword.

Half of the ships are only available via the 'alswantsmoreships' cheat though. Later on I will email you with some requests for sim missions that I want you to design. :)

Starkey said:
Also, just out of curiosity, why are you working on the main campaign missions if the prologue missions aren´t done yet?
Missions are coded by Pierre, Tango, Quarto, Pedro, myself, or Ronald... but always debugged and fine-tuned by Quarto. Right now we have Tango and Pierre working on main campaign missions while Quarto goes over all the small details and bugs left in the prologue. In-game cutscenes are also still being worked on.

The prologue is in a complicate state right now... Voiceovers and people's free time are already *much* more of a problem than missions, and we will also need to rework the campaign missions and the storyline a bit since we have to replace the Firekka's comm officer (overmortal quit). It looks like voiceovers will delay all of our releases, specially since Tango has been making fast progress on the main campaign missions (the voiceovers are very far from keeping up with his pace).

Edit: We're currently looking into the possibility of an episodic release split into 5 sections instead of just 2 (in other words, chopping up the main campaign in 4 pieces) to speed up the releases... we're still really only looking into it, though. This would already help a little.

The best choice at this point IMHO would be to strip the mod of all non-cutscene voiceovers, since it would make a real big difference in our progress-o-meter, but that would probably piss a lot of people off so we're looking into alternatives.

Edit #2: Starkey, blame this all on USP. :p

Hey guys, do we mind waiting an extra month or so before they can finish the voiceovers? I for one don't mind, "and I am unanimous in that." :D :D

Btw, I am having a few smaller difficulties with the programming--check fan projects and editing--and how do you tell the mission to look in the ships folder, what command to you use I mean.

I have some voiceovers to do but since you told me they are for the main campaign, I´ll do them later, "when I have time"™ :p

Seriously now, I am very busy in my job (I am a lawyer at Gerdau), but if my voiceovers were delaying the game, I could spare a day and do them all.

My translations for the Portuguese version of the game will also have to wait, according to you.

If there´s anything else I can help - even sending morale improvement e-mails to busy voiceover people :D - let me know.

Eder said:
The prologue is in a complicate state right now... Voiceovers and people's free time are already *much* more of a problem than missions, and we will also need to rework the campaign missions and the storyline a bit since we have to replace the Firekka's comm officer (overmortal quit). It looks like voiceovers will delay all of our releases, specially since Tango has been making fast progress on the main campaign missions (the voiceovers are very far from keeping up with his pace).

Why overmortal was quited?
Was him responsible for voiceovers organization?

Overmortal has joined the military, I think.

He was responsible for voiceover organization, conversion, and for the voice of the Lionheart/Firekka's comm officer... so now the Firekka will need a different comm officer.

Well, have you published a new announce searching Firekka voice?
I think this isn't problem, but and voiceover organization?
Who is responsible now?

I'm responsible now (again) - that's the problem. ;)

Edit: BTW, I've already sent HCl an ICQ message about standoff.dll's source.

Back