The crossbow cockpit looks FANTASTIC!

Andropolos

Spaceman
For those who missed it go to standoff site and check either the news or the 7th page of pictures...

Wow, for a moment there I thought that I was in there.

Great job on the Hakaga too! Looks like a big battle will be fougth in the Warsaw system... Can't wait...

Have to agree with you 100% on that one...looks incredible as always guys...that hakaga looks HUGE even at 30,000 clicks....god damn...we're not gonna make it!

That is going to be one nasty mission, by God.

On a side note, MY LAUNCHER TO SECRET OPS HAS DISAPPEARED. This is bad because UE and SO don't know which gl dll to look for without it.

So, can somebody send me a new one--one that won't ask for disc one when I click on it.

Alpha Lead: "I want you men to know, whatever we face, we'll stand tough <see's Hakaga> Holy SHIT! Abort! Abort!"

Andropolos said:
Looks like a big battle will be fougth in the Warsaw system... Can't wait...
Actually, it just seemed like a nice scene for a screenshot - there aren't any Hakagas or Crossbows in our Warsaw series. :p

just facing off against the "screening force" of a few normal kilrathi heavy carrier groups...just great...check please? check?! CHECK!!?

Aaahahahah!!!

Somebody, quick! Use a time machine and bring back the Midway after it was upgraded to include the ship killer weapon. HURRY!!

WHAT!!?!!?!? We don't have ONE!!

Not good.

"Come on baby. Come on..aarrgghhhh!!!!!! *static*"

kind of makes you want to sow the approachs to the Sol jump point with hundreds of anti-matter and 500 megaton thermonukes....maybe we'll get a few...

"Anti-matter and 500 megaton thermonukes", actually. :p

I'm pretty sure all our possible campaign paths lead to at least one Hakaga, and to a whole lot of Kilrathi forces... forward, aft, starboard, port side, up, down, you name it. :p

Edit:

FWIW, the first big battle (in which the player will encounter what you could call the forward screen of the main Kilrathi Fleet) does take place in Warsaw... if you win the first series, I think. Before that point the Firekka runs mostly into scout ships, and after that it depends a lot on player performance (you can end up *behind* the Kilrathi fleet, cut off from the rest of Confed's fleet).

While in Warsaw, stuff will happen as described in FA, Confed launches attacks against some of the "old style carriers" (Standoff's Snakeirs), a lot of smaller capships, and also gets hit pretty hard on their own carriers.

The problem with the branching missions is that we never want to lose. :D

One thing that would be very cool is a graph like the WC1 branching missions, so we can manage our way on the game.

And Rostov rocks! (pun intended).

That graph will be featured in the Official Standoff Strategy Guide™ :D

Seriously, I think it´s a great idea, but such a graph should be released three or four months after Standoff´s release, in order not to spoil the game.

Yeah, I could probably do something like that and upload it to the site somewhere a couple months after the release. I don't want to spoil everyone's fun... it already sucks that *I* won't have anything to look forward to in any of the missions. :p

Eder said:
Yeah, I could probably do something like that and upload it to the site somewhere a couple months after the release. I don't want to spoil everyone's fun... it already sucks that *I* won't have anything to look forward to in any of the missions. :p

Hey Eder, will you be able to actually see a group of Kilrathi cruisers go near a planet and scorch it with Strontium-90 nukes? That would rule.

There doesn't seem to be a way to do that... since planets are just background pics, there's no way to change the way a planet looks halfway during the mission, and that would be kinda required if you wanted to nuke a planet. But hey, it's not like any of the nukings had [surviving] Confed witnesses :p.

That could be done in-between missions, via FMVs... Have you found your FMV wizard already, Eder?

psych said:
Hey Eder, will you be able to actually see a group of Kilrathi cruisers go near a planet and scorch it with Strontium-90 nukes? That would rule.
Well, only via FMV, and we're looking into it.

Starkey said:
That could be done in-between missions, via FMVs... Have you found your FMV wizard already, Eder?
Maybe, but I still didn't have time to send him a couple models and a planet or somesuch. I've seen a sample of his work and it looks like it could work.

Eder said:
Yeah, I could probably do something like that and upload it to the site somewhere a couple months after the release.

That would be for the better. As little spoilers as possible a good game make.

Quarto said:
There doesn't seem to be a way to do that... since planets are just background pics, there's no way to change the way a planet looks halfway during the mission, and that would be kinda required if you wanted to nuke a planet. But hey, it's not like any of the nukings had [surviving] Confed witnesses :p.

What could be done is to change the image from mission to mission. So, in mission A the planet is OK, but in mission 2 it's nuked. Actually, a planet-wide bombardment could even generate some terrible effects that would seem to be, for an observer in space, still. Origin did something similar on WC4, where the Earth keeps getting closer and closer on the missions.

Or Kilrah in WCP, where the background had the wasted Kilrathi homeworld. I like Delance´s idea: even if FMV is not possible, you could show a normal planet background in one mission, tell the story about the planet being nuked in the fiction and, in the next mission, a new background is displayed showing a wasted planet. You can even have one of the pilots comment on that, after taking off from the Firekka. I´d find that cool enough :cool:

Back