The biggest problem with WCP

frui

Rear Admiral
The story sucks. It has no love affairs, no suspension, no character development, no traitor, in a word, no integrity.
Worst of all, it has no REAL ENEMY!
We know so little about the enemy: who are they, what are they thinking about, why do they attack us, what's their strong point, what's their weak point...nothing!
Thus we know very little what we are fighting for and who we are fighting against. We blindly shoot and kill. There will be little involvement in that.
One thing I like most about the old WC is the description about the enemy: the emperor, the prince, the clans, etc. I know their history, their way of life, their mentality, everything in big detail, especially after reading WC novels. I know what's happening in their minds. I know their feeling of honor and fear. I hate them, I respect them, and I know them. I know what I am fighting for.

To make a good war story, the enemy must have flesh, blood, and mind. A respectable enemy will make the fighting more meaningful. The are all lacking in WCP, even though the acting is actually pretty good.

Please try to remember that Prophecy was designed to be part of a trilogy, the enemy were supposed to be mysterious as they would be revealed in the later games and several sparks of romance were set up so they could possibly bloom. I believe that had WCP ever recieved a sequel you'd think about it very differently, personally I preffered its plot to that of WC1 and believe there was a lot of potential :)

Nakamoto also stated that the aim of Prophecy was to move away from the FMV/storyline dominated style and to have a game more sided towards the actual interactive/game part of it. He wanted to eliminate as much of the storyline as possible. Apparently (according to him), that's what the fans wanted.

Pedro, I believe in your explanation and expect better enemy revelation in the future sequel, if there will be any.
However, the plot can still be greatly enhanced if the enemy had been more clever.

I have a design of plot for WCP as follows:

Blair led a mission venturing into a mysterious sivar space station. All except Blair died during the encounter. After returning, Blair refused to say anything about what they encountered in the space station.
The fact is, the space station was a trap set by the enemy. Blair was actually captured and was planted a "identity shifting" device in his brain and he was turned into a traitor without his own consciousness. Yes, it's now Blair's turn...

If you read the end of the WCP guide it states that Confed believes the nephilim are just a stupid slave race and that we are yet to meet the masterminds of their incursion into our space, given that I'd say the nephilim were just about perfect :)

Now that's frightening, the brains of the Nephilim. Imagine flying through huge hive style ships/stations...

I too have been intrigued by the various hints dropped about the Nephilim (like their possible earlier visit to Kilrah and Confed’s deduction of a higher “controlling intelligence”) together with others’ interesting conjectures (like the arguable stagnation of their technology assuming they have been around for millennia). While it’s certainly pure speculation on my part, I’ve come to view the purpose of the Nephilim as a “yardstick”, a way to measure the proficiency of the given race and culture they confront. Now that Confed has beaten them and “measured up” (once or twice, depending on your point of view), I wonder what the “prize” is going to be.

I'd like to see a lot of human brains (like Blair's) are going to be controled by those masterminds.

Sicne it's obvious origin isn't going to make another WC for a long time...................We could make our own story thruogh fan made addons and such.

I think that's a pretty safe assumption. The only problem with that is you might get people arguing over which one of their storylines is more accurate, when, of course, neither (or both depending on your pov) of them are.

Bad idea, remember there are fans out there who would like to see the pilgrims in future games *g*

Democracy? On a posting board? Are you people nuts?

Any type of government on the net outside Fudalism, Fundamentalism or Communisum won't work. There's too many varried opinions to have a council work. Our council is the administrators, let them do their job. I'm willing to sit on my ass and watch them do all the work. ;)

Originally posted by frui

I have a design of plot for WCP as follows:

The fact is, the space station was a trap set by the enemy. Blair was actually captured and was planted a "identity shifting" device in his brain and he was turned into a traitor without his own consciousness. Yes, it's now Blair's turn...

...kinda like the Hobbes "memory implant" experiment in WC3: been there!

Originally posted by Preacher

...kinda like the Hobbes "memory implant" experiment in WC3: been there!

Originally posted by Lord Ralgha nar Hhallas

Colonel, I am returning to my Homeworld - but my admiration
for you compels me to provide an explanation for my actions...

You must understand that the Hobbes you knew was a construct,
the result of an identity-overlay experiment, initiated long
ago by Prince Thrakhath. Lord Ralgha nar Hhallas, you have
never truly met. I myself never met him until I heard the
Prince utter your Kilrathi title, ‘The Heart of the Tiger.’
This was the trigger that awakened my true personality - hidden
for so many years. Once awakened by the words of my Prince, I
had no choice but to perform his bidding.

Kilrathi do not surrender, nor do we betray. And yet, in being
true to my kind, I have betrayed you - for I have watched you,
Colonel - know you are an honorable warrior... If we meet
again... we'll have no choice but to perform our duties...
with honor....

Maybe he was just a spy?

I like Hobbes! He has such a warm voice in WC3. :)
The trick of his true identity is one of my favorite part of WC3, though I am so unwilling to see him end like that.
WC2, WC3 and WC4 all have a major character as "hidden evil". It has become a trademark for the classic WC series. So I expect WCP to have it too.

Back