Technosaurs: Locked and Loaded (July 20, 2008)

Speaking of source - do you actually have any, and would EA let you release it if you did?

The answer is a resounding maybe. We honestly won't know what's on any of the disks untill we start going through them. I think LOAF is concentrating on some of the documents at the moment.

Speaking of source - do you actually have any, and would EA let you release it if you did?

Yes, we 'actually' do. I have plenty of source code but very little understanding of what it means - in so far as I can tell, "source code" doesn't boil down to some single labeled document... but my understanding is that I've seen code for Wing Commander III, Prophecy, Ultima IX and a wide variety of console ports thus far.

I know this might seem a random thing, but when you do start releasing stuff can it also be added into one of the archives - the prophecy design docs don't seem to have been put in the document archive and while its possible to search through the newspost archives it worries me that data isnt always as easily accessible in that way. (then again, maybe i should just get off my arse and find all the links myself and then sort them into sections)

As for source code, it's all well and good having the stuff (though i would imagine that the UO code is with the UO team, rather than at mythic, though i suppose they might have a copy) and personally i would love to see the wc2 code, but theres no guarantee that its even written in a language that people know!

i assume its not in fortran, C or java! (then again maybe it is! - would be ace in fortran)

I know this might seem a random thing, but when you do start releasing stuff can it also be added into one of the archives - the prophecy design docs don't seem to have been put in the document archive and while its possible to search through the newspost archives it worries me that data isnt always as easily accessible in that way. (then again, maybe i should just get off my arse and find all the links myself and then sort them into sections)

As for source code, it's all well and good having the stuff (though i would imagine that the UO code is with the UO team, rather than at mythic, though i suppose they might have a copy) and personally i would love to see the wc2 code, but theres no guarantee that its even written in a language that people know!

i assume its not in fortran, C or java! (then again maybe it is! - would be ace in fortran)

I'd suspect all their gaming code is written in C/C++ with possibly bits of assembly. It shouldn't be a problem for the community here to at least understand what we've got once it's released.

I just wanted to give a thanks to all the work you guys have done on the archiving. I look foreword to the updates. However, do take your time. As hungry as the WC community is no one with any sense wants you guys to get burned out. I want you guys to enjoy your part of the process as much as I'll enjoy seeing the results. Thanks.

Awesome

all of this is some of the best news I've ever heard, wish I could just touch some of these things, hope to see a ton of pictures, videos ..etc... also Can't wait to hear what more has been found and stuff!
has me all giddy haha

Back