Technology gap between WC 3 and WCP

Originally posted by Sonntag
OK thank you that explains a lot. However, I assume the Scimitar was 2626 and not 2526, right? 100 years of service would be a bit too much, right?

I meant what I said, I said what I meant, I said it, I meant it, one-hundred percent.

(Errr, and I much prefer debate to arse-kissing... not that I mind the latter <G>)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Yes, the asymmetrical design is new in WC3 (only in Armada a ship is shaped asymmetrical) and I was also a bit astonished that VS claimed that it was normal fro Kilrathi fighters. I guess it was only to make the Kilrathi appear more barbaric.

The Krant's cockpit is off center or at least it looks that way to me. One example, though, does not a rule like that make.

Haven't you noticed that nearly all of the Kilrathi fighters are asymmetrical? ;)

It is even stated in Victory Streak... :)

Originally posted by Shane
The Krant's cockpit is off center or at least it looks that way to me. One example, though, does not a rule like that make.
Actually, the Krant's cockpits are both off-centre - and the ship is 100% symmetrical :).

That having been said, the reason WC1/2 ships are symmetrical is to save memory and space - if a ship is symmetrical, you only have to make bitmaps for half of the rotation, and then you simply flip them to get the other half. If they weren't symmetrical, you probably wouldn't be able to fight more than one type of ship at a time in WC1 - so capship strikes would be rather lame ;).

Oh, I did not know that... that's very interesting information Quarto... :)

And indeed, you are right, ships are symmetrical in WC I and II (where the bitmap-ship was actually still used)...
But in WC III, all ships are asymmtrical if I recall... makes them more fearsome I guess... ;)

Originally posted by Quarto
Originally posted by Shane
Actually, the Krant's cockpits are both off-centre - and the ship is 100% symmetrical :).

That having been said, the reason WC1/2 ships are symmetrical is to save memory and space - if a ship is symmetrical, you only have to make bitmaps for half of the rotation, and then you simply flip them to get the other half. If they weren't symmetrical, you probably wouldn't be able to fight more than one type of ship at a time in WC1 - so capship strikes would be rather lame ;).

So in reality, the reason they look symmetrical is because we only see have of them, the other half is just a mirror! They fooled us all with their mirror-down-the-middleing field!

But Confederate ships have basically been symmetrical in all the games! Some carriers however, thats a different story.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You're all correct - the Vampire (and Panther) are more manoeuvrable because of the rotating engine pods.
I prefer to call them what the guy at the Academy guy calls them: self-articulating engine nacelles! Sounds more 'techy' that way. :)

It's quite obvious to me that not a horrible ammount of attention was paid to ship design and dates in the games, but it sure is fun to site these examples and find excuses for them.

E.G.
Every Confed ship in WC2 was scrapped in WC3. Only one year later.

Explanation? Oh, well... uh... they were using them. We just didn't see them on a craft as new as the Concordia. They had state of the art ships. But then again... we saw them later on the Lexington. But wait... the novel of Wc4 states that the Border worlds used older ships because they were poor. Like Ferrets and the like.

Man. We're all going to think ourselves into a big ol' fat depression.

Wow, how does that mean they didn't pay attention to ship design?

Also, it's not an excuse of any sort that we saw older fighters in WC3. We know for a fact that the Victory was an old carrier, which had mostly old fighters as well... Also, it isn't that much fun to fly all the same craft in all the games.

TC

Not to mention that trying to generate models of WC2 ships with the RealSpace engine would have been too much for humble 486s in those days. Even now, with all those curves. I think that's another reason why they drew the Kilrathi ships with straight edges.

Umm... is it just me or has nobody in this thread even mentioned models in WC2? They used the flying box technique. That's the whole *reason* they were able to cheat the way they were, only making images for one half.

TC

Back