Technology gap between WC 3 and WCP

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
If you compare the improvements made between WC2 and WC3 you will see that the gap there is even greater. Between WC2 and WC3 only 4 years passed, yet armour and shield strenghts are about 10 times as high as in WC2.
Between WC3 and WCP there are 12 years and the stats have only doubled approximately. So it is not THAT out of relation.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-23-2001 at 16:10]

Maybe we should treat WC1, WC2, Privateer as one universe and the other games as another universe, because WC3 and the games onwards IMHO do not have that much in common with WC1/2: ALL Fighters are replaced, the uniforms are different, afterburnerperformance is reduced significantly between WC2 and 3, the music is completely different (apart from the Scramble track of Wc3), Admiral Tolwyn from WC 2 does not fit to Admiral Tolwyn from WC3 and so on, damage Control System is completely changed, the guns look differently and so on.

I know "It is only a game", and yes, I know that there are also parallels (Concordia mentioned in WC3, Angel, the "Drahlthi" Fighter), but otherwise, everything is new with WC3, so I think designers could have thought about these things a bit more...

OhOh, this is going too far. You have quite a lot appearances of WC1 characters in WC3, you fight the same enemy and (as you mentioned it yourself) the DRalthi is taken over from Wc1 to Wc3 and the uniforms from WC2 are also different to those of WC1. And why does the Admiral from WC2 not fit in Wc3?

OhOh, this is going too far. You have quite a lot appearances of WC1 characters in WC3, you fight the same enemy and (as you mentioned it yourself) the DRalthi is taken over from Wc1 to Wc3 and the uniforms from WC2 are also different to those of WC1. And why does the Admiral from WC2 not fit in Wc3?

Well I thought that Tolwyn in the WC 2 Special Ops became quite OK towards Blair, and in WC3 he is an asshole again. I just think this is not fitting well.

But let's avoid to get too much away from my original post :):

As with the Drahlthi, the WC1 and WC3 variants only share the name, otherwise it is a completely new design. The other Fighters like the Darket or Strakha do not fit either, as in WC2 and WC1, kilrathi Fighters have a lot of symmetry, while Victory Streak in WC 3 claims, that Kilrathi Fighter design normally is asymmetric.

Yes, the asymmetrical design is new in WC3 (only in Armada a ship is shaped asymmetrical) and I was also a bit astonished that VS claimed that it was normal fro Kilrathi fighters. I guess it was only to make the Kilrathi appear more barbaric.
And the Rapier from Wc2 has also changed a lot compared to the WC1 Rapier.

That's correct, but these changes are much more normal in terms of an "Improved Combat Effectiveness" programme. I would call the replacement of the Neutron guns and the implementation of the Chaff Pod for evoulutionary, which
again reminds me of todays Phantom aircraft, which also has changed alot during the last decade.
Apart from all these internal changes of the Rapier, it still has the same design as in WC1 as it is still the same "airframe". This is NOT the case with the Drahlthi, where the WC3 version only has the name in common with the WC1 version.

The Rapier from WC2 is 5 metres longer and 5.5 tonnes heavier than the Rapier from WC1. (And if we take the WC movie into consideration, which we shouldn't, then the Rapier design has changed dramatically). Ant the airframe has also some modifications but the basic look is still there. But the Dralthi from WC3 also has those semicricle wings. Although I have to admit that the Rapier from WC2 has more in common with the Rapier from Wc1 than the DRalthi from WC3 has in common with the DRalthi from WC1. Nevertheless there ARE similarities between the two Dralthis and there are differences between the two Rapiers.

1) The Dralthi is on WC I (in with is still very new, acording to Tiger´s marks), The Drakhri is in WC II (a new name)and its passed 10 years after the destruction of the Tiger´s Claw, the Dralthi name returns in Armada, not in WC III (in truth the WC III Dralthi is older that the Armada Dralthi).
2) Many of the fighters that we see in WC II could have being in use for a lot of time not brand new, the raptor was not new since we see it in WC I or the movie if you like.
The Crossbow and Morningstar are the new ships [morningstar jump drive was very unstable])

3) The FF missile is new as you can see it, now the IFF tracks the transporder code that does not match its own (if fact a fighter that launch a FF with its transpoder damaged could see the missile that it just launch coming back at him) so the explosive charge is quite small (it did not change the damage inflict from WC IV) but the tracking system is now (more likely) more advanced to not be folled by older chaff pods.

that is a load of bull*#$@ the thunderbolt VII. Now what does seven mean? IT MEANS THERE WERE SEVEN PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF IT!

I have to agree. I personally enjoy each games quirks; its what keeps the series so fresh. Unlike say, your X-Wing series, which was like..almost the same..except for a new graphics engine here and there. Not that XW isn't a good series, but WC is better, partly because of the diversity of settinngs and artwork we see in the different games. Also, someone can like one game and not another, where as if they were all 'cannon' to each other and the same, people would be more likly to have a love/hate relationship with WC.

Originally posted by Sonntag
Maybe a stupid question, but where do you [LOAF] know all these things from? It's amazing how much you know!
Bandit LOAF is The Baron!! He is:

1) Stronger than we are
2) More intelligent than we are
3) More informed than we are
4) More skilled than we are

and last but not least

5) WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY more NUTS than we are... ;):D

Yes, the asymmetrical design is new in WC3 (only in Armada a ship is shaped asymmetrical) and I was also a bit astonished that VS claimed that it was normal fro Kilrathi fighters. I guess it was only to make the Kilrathi appear more barbaric.

Slightly off topic here, but asymetry being barbaric is entirely in the eye of the beholder. In my culture, for example, (I was born in Sri Lanka, though I'm now a proud Kiwi) straight lines and even corners are generally avoided where possible in building, especially religious structures.

Best, Raptor

Actually, the 'VII' in 'Thunderbolt VII' means that it's the seventh fighter to be named Thunderbolt... the first two were the WW2 era P-47 Thunderbolt and the modern-day A-10 Thunderbolt II. The model *letter* is what designates which variant of Thud it is -- the F-66D (austensibly the fourth model) appears in Secret Ops.

Similarly, the Rapier in the movie and the game are two different ships entirely. The movie ship is the F-117... the game version, introduced much later, is the F-44 (YF-44A and F-44A in WC1, F-44G in WC2).

There is no Dralthi in WC2 -- the Drakhri class medium fighter takes its place (and borrows its distinctive bat-wing look). Very few of the WC1, 2 and 3 Confed ships are in-universe new... Here's a list -- these are *not* the introduction dates, but simply the earliest known examples of the fighters in service.

Hornet - 2633
Scimitar - 2526
Raptor - 2639
Rapier II - 2654

Ferret - 2639
Epee - 2654
Sabre - 2654
Broadsword - 2654
Crossbow - 2667
Morningstar - 2667
Wraith - 2668

Hellcat - 2654
Longbow - 2654
Arrow - 2654
Thunderbolt - 2668
Excalibur - 2669

Originally posted by mpanty

1) Stronger than we are

and last but not least

5) WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY more NUTS than we are... ;):D

Amen.

Serious question for you Loaf, you like this blatant arse kissing don't you? :)

Maybe I should try myself...

*redwolf puckers up...

Originally posted by Raptor

Slightly off topic here, but asymetry being barbaric is entirely in the eye of the beholder. In my culture, for example, (I was born in Sri Lanka, though I'm now a proud Kiwi) straight lines and even corners are generally avoided where possible in building, especially religious structures.

Best, Raptor

Oops.Sorry, no offence intended. :eek:

Originally posted by mpanty
Originally posted by Sonntag
Maybe a stupid question, but where do you [LOAF] know all these things from? It's amazing how much you know!

1) Stronger than we are

and last but not least

5) WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY more NUTS than we are...

mpanty, you forgot "more beautiful". ;)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Actually, the 'VII' in 'Thunderbolt VII' means that it's the seventh fighter to be named Thunderbolt... the first two were the WW2 era P-47 Thunderbolt and the modern-day A-10 Thunderbolt II. The model *letter* is what designates which variant of Thud it is -- the F-66D (austensibly the fourth model) appears in Secret Ops.

Similarly, the Rapier in the movie and the game are two different ships entirely. The movie ship is the F-117... the game version, introduced much later, is the F-44 (YF-44A and F-44A in WC1, F-44G in WC2).

There is no Dralthi in WC2 -- the Drakhri class medium fighter takes its place (and borrows its distinctive bat-wing look). Very few of the WC1, 2 and 3 Confed ships are in-universe new... Here's a list -- these are *not* the introduction dates, but simply the earliest known examples of the fighters in service.

Hornet - 2633
Scimitar - 2526
Raptor - 2639
Rapier II - 2654

Ferret - 2639
Epee - 2654
Sabre - 2654
Broadsword - 2654
Crossbow - 2667
Morningstar - 2667
Wraith - 2668

Hellcat - 2654
Longbow - 2654
Arrow - 2654
Thunderbolt - 2668
Excalibur - 2669

OK thank you that explains a lot. However, I assume the Scimitar was 2626 and not 2526, right? 100 years of service would be a bit too much, right?

Back