Steltek Physiology

Re space pen: Whether the story is true or not, it makes the point...

Yup, it's good proof of the fact that people will believe idiotic made up stories solely because they sound fun and regardless of whether or not they make sense.

It's possible that the Nephilim have a caste

Yes... because they do.

The point I was trying to make is "Maybe the super-technology of the Stelteks is just that they do extremely good jobs at designing stuff at a tech level which is close to Confed's".

Wow. Just, wow. This is so utterly wrong. Steltek != Nephilim
To even make that connection boggles the mind. An as for finding Steltek relics, I'd think they'd mostly be already taken, destroyed, or hidden so completely that there's no chance of ever finding them again.
Now if you wanted to do something creative, you could show some of the aftermath of the Steltek's decision to lay down arms and leave. Or you could ignore the Steltek alltogether and focus on the human aspect of the WC universe. I'd reccomend the latter.

Wow, I must have been crazy.

I just figured that Burows was able to fit the steltek gun into one of the cannon mounts and then rewire the connections. And the reason the steltek had to boost the power output was because he didn't do it quite right.

And that the Retros just took the gun apart and reverse-engineered it.

I feel silly for not constructing needlessly complex explanations around those events.

spiritplumber said:
The point I was trying to make is "Maybe the super-technology of the Stelteks is just that they do extremely good jobs at designing stuff at a tech level which is close to Confed's".

How does that a) relate to the Nephilim, and b) if I go ahead with some super-high tech version of a pencil, then if I can use it the same way I use a stick of graphite, does that mean they're technologically the same, or that they're at similar tech levels? Remember that the wreck is ANCIENT - that piece of salvage, while powerful for civilian gear, wasn't all that impressive... especially compared to the plasma guns, tachyon cannons, and reaper guns of the same period (WC3 took place in 2669, around the same time as Privateer, give or take a year).

So the gun's easily retrofitted onto Confed ships, or its function deciphered by a brilliant technician like Mordecai Jones who may have had a team to help him do this. Does that mean that ancient or even 'modern' Nephilim tech is at the same level Confed's is? Or does that just mean that the gun's technology is relatively straightforward and thus they could reverse-engineer it to make their own versions, like Confed did with the particle cannon?

uhm, are we talking about the steltek gun or some other nephilim weapon?

i fully agree that the stelteks have as much to do with the nephilim as they have to do with the humans or kilrathi -- in fact, since it seems that both humans and kilrathi owe sentience to the stelteks, maybe the nephs have even less to do with....

i'm just speculating on steltek technology and culture.

spiritplumber said:
uhm, are we talking about the steltek gun or some other nephilim weapon?

i fully agree that the stelteks have as much to do with the nephilim as they have to do with the humans or kilrathi -- i'm just speculating on steltek technology and culture.

Except that at the same time, some of those speculations don't make sense - see my pencil analogy. You can use both devices the same way (to write things) and they use similar ideas (using graphite or some other material to mark another item), but the technologies between those two may be very different and thus saying that they're of similar technological levels is an idea that's hard to justify, based on the evidence that exists in the games. Yes, the Steltek were an ancient civilization long before humans ever left Africa, much less their planet; but does that mean that their technology was designed in a way to make it mesh easily with a technological base that didn't exist and wouldn't exist for millions of years? How would they have known we'd have progressed along that route, and custom-built their gear to let us use them? If it's THAT bloody advanced, or that high-tech, then what does that have to do with 'matching Confed technological levels' like in your other post?

Answer - it doesn't, and their gear may not be THAT advanced, at least not compared to Confed military tech of the same timeframe. We can apply Occam's razor to this - the reason the Retros were able to build Steltek guns so easily or at least deploy them to some extent was because they were relatively simple to reverse-engineer, either because it wasn't that advanced over our tech or because the concept was easy enough for us to duplicate.

spiritplumber said:
in fact, since it seems that both humans and kilrathi owe sentience to the stelteks

_1024713_laughing300.jpg

Halman said:
Wow, I must have been crazy.

I just figured that Burows was able to fit the steltek gun into one of the cannon mounts and then rewire the connections. And the reason the steltek had to boost the power output was because he didn't do it quite right.

My guess would be more along the lines of the ship's powerplant (remembering this is a civilian ship we're talking about, not MilSpec hardware in spite of its frequently martial use) couldn't provide the juice needed to fire it. After all, you don't generally count rewiring as boosting power. That the Steltek pilot said that there was only a limited number of shots (even if the game code doesn't have that restriction) makes it more likely that some kind of energy storage device was added to the gun to suplement the civilian powerplant enough to allow the gun to fire.

(To be fair, I may be misremembering the exchange between Burrows and the alien.)

That said, though, yes that convoluted "explanation" does sound pretty silly, overall. :)

in fact, since it seems that both humans and kilrathi owe sentience to the stelteks, maybe the nephs have even less to do with....

Are you thinking of the Nephilim visiting Earth and Kilrah in the distant past?

more likely that some kind of energy storage device was added to the gun to suplement the civilian powerplant enough to allow the gun to fire.

Quoth the Steltek: "Will attach power booster to your weapon now."

All this starts to sound like people purposefully misunderstanding each other. It has been fun in the beginning, now it gets tiresome.

Let's accept certain inalienable truths:
- Nephilim are not Steltek, and vice versa.
- The Steltek are gone.
- Organic material means just that. An anthill is made of it, but it isn't grown by the ants.
- Insects are insects, and share some physiological features.
- Guns are technology, and with enough effort and the right material, technology is rebuildable.

And nobody ever tried to explain why the Steltek on the comm screen looks that way.

criticalmass said:

There's a corollary to this point: not all things are insects, even if they share physiological features which may appear to be similar or identical. Just because crabs and ants are both arthopods does not mean that the crab is an insect as they've both got exoskeletons. Neither are arachnids insects.

Nephilim should be at least as ancient as the Steltek.

They use wormholes to travel and that does mean that when they do they are also travelling far to the FUTURE!! (Because Einstein's General Relativity Theory)

I'm not so sure that Nephilim are not Steltek, here is an hypothesis:

As the Steltek banned themselves away from the galaxy so many millennia ago, maybe some of them did not only retreat to the center of the galaxy (why should that be a safe place?) but happened to escape through the wormholes.

OK, Steltek at the center of the galaxy are noble and peaceful, just living their lives and trying not to interfere with anyone else; but some of their clans (or similar) have found themselves in a distant future still enraged by their old wars, and ready to attack anything in their sights.
-------

BTW: Steltek are NOT gone, How could they be still looking for their old tecnology if they are gone!?

Alch said:
Nephilim should be at least as ancient as the Steltek.

They use wormholes to travel and that does mean that when they do they are also travelling far to the FUTURE!! (Because Einstein's General Relativity Theory)

I'm not so sure that Nephilim are not Steltek, here is an hypothesis:

As the Steltek banned themselves away from the galaxy so many millennia ago, maybe some of them did not only retreat to the center of the galaxy (why should that be a safe place?) but happened to escape through the wormholes.

OK, Steltek at the center of the galaxy are noble and peaceful, just living their lives and trying not to interfere with anyone else; but some of their clans (or similar) have found themselves in a distant future still enraged by their old wars, and ready to attack anything in their sights.
-------

BTW: Steltek are NOT gone, How could they be still looking for their old tecnology if they are gone!?

Just great - you reopened a month-old thread... and at the same time show you don't have a clue about what wormholes are. If wormholes are always devices used for time travel, then any FTL drive can also be considered such, as it bypasses relativity to allow a ship to arrive at point B from point A some lightyears away without having traversed the intervening time.

As far as the rest of the post goes.... no comment, except that the Steltek seem to have ways of monitoring our space, and have FTL systems that look like jump drives but which work without jump points..

Haesslich said:
Just great - you reopened a month-old thread... and at the same time show you don't have a clue about what wormholes are. If wormholes are always devices used for time travel, then any FTL drive can also be considered such, as it bypasses relativity to allow a ship to arrive at point B from point A some lightyears away without having traversed the intervening time..

Well, it was just a idea. No need to arouse bitter controversy.

Any way, wormholes are (or might be, since their existence has not yet been proven) not traveling devices at all, they are supposed to be space-time bendings which connect at least two incrediblily massive high-density objects (supposedly black holes).

It is supposed you could travel through one of those (though you wouldn't get out safe and sound in one piece -but that's sci-fi :D -) Hawking's "The Universe in a Nutshell" is a great book to know more about that, but that's not the thread's matter, still I don't know why I should believe Steltek and Nephs are not related at all.

Even if Nephs and Steltek are completely different creatures, how much each one about the other remains unkown to us

i don't want to further the controversy, but according to the gödel-equasions(based on the einstein relativity theory) wormholes can be used for just that. doesn't always have to be that way, of course

Let's accept certain inalienable truths:
- Nephilim are not Steltek, and vice versa.
- The Steltek are gone.
- Organic material means just that. An anthill is made of it, but it isn't grown by the ants.
- Guns are technology, and with enough effort and the right material, technology is rebuildable

I want to verify on bit to this quote. I don't recall the Steltek being gone. I thought they left the known universe. If I recall a drone was destroyed in Priv 1 and another Steltak ship had arrived and moved the last remain Steltek ship relic. So technically they are not gone gone, just been missing for an x amount of years or so???

Dahan said:
I want to verify on bit to this quote. I don't recall the Steltek being gone. I thought they left the known universe. If I recall a drone was destroyed in Priv 1 and another Steltak ship had arrived and moved the last remain Steltek ship relic. So technically they are not gone gone, just been missing for an x amount of years or so???

The Privateer docs and Prophecy both indicate that the Steltek abandoned our space millions of years ago, well before any of the current space-faring races left their home orbits. The only reason that the drone showed up was because Grayson stumbled across a Steltek ship, ripped the gun from it, and thus activated the drone - designed to destroy remnants of Steltek technology, though it seemed to have gone a bit demented or otherwise malfunctioned. Grayson's contact with the Steltek is the only one we know of having happened in recorded history; otherwise, they've moved onto other pastures, with only observation happening in the parts of space inhabited by the known powers.

Effectively, they ARE gone from our space, with the exception of one incident during Privateer. The Nephilim, on the other hand, have shown up at least three times in recorded history; first during their landing on Kilrah, thus spurring them down the path to empire, the second during WCP, and the third incursion during Secret Ops.

you are forgetting one incident, as of why humanity labeled them "nephilim",
check your bible, or the internet :rolleyes:

Back