Star Wraith 2 - The WC Rip off for free download

Wing commander 2, including speech pack and expansions, drove me to throw everything off my 40MB 386/sx's hard drive, making and just installing MS-DOS and WC2, loading a mission also costed me well over five minutes.

Sure it is a good effort for one man, but it looks bad(in any resolution), is unclear in it's instructions, and your fighter handles terrible, the engine might be ok, but the gameplay is terrible.

Mace said:
Wing commander 2, including speech pack and expansions, drove me to throw everything off my 40MB 386/sx's hard drive, making and just installing MS-DOS and WC2, loading a mission also costed me well over five minutes.

Sure it is a good effort for one man, but it looks bad(in any resolution), is unclear in it's instructions, and your fighter handles terrible, the engine might be ok, but the gameplay is terrible.

Uhhh, took me a second to realize you meant star wraith in the second paragraph... I wouldnt have minded the controls if it let you reverse the y axis of the mouse. Never tried the joystick to see if it was bad.

It looked pretty for the size of the file, but I can't say I found it very enthraling either though (But I'm spoiled)

Mace said:

I would agree at first, but after some effort it's not that hard to figure the game out. You need to control speed, if you are too fast you won't be able to turn in time to shoot anyone. The default res is slow, but the game supporst higher res. Still, it's no Wing Commander, but can be entretaining.

Anyway, an existing game is generally better than a non-existing one.

While you people are talking about "Star Wraith 2", "Star Wraith V - Arvoch Conflict" has been released. It does not feature cut-scenes, but flying is way pass everything "Wing Commander" has ever achieved! Greatest gimick is the 3D-radar, which allows you to see the whole situation in one view. Everyone who like to try, download the demo (limited to one hour combat, training is free) at www.arvoch.com.
It´s worth it!

I know that, I read the thread dates. But nevertheless: While those comments were written we already had "Evochron: Alliance" setteled in the Star Wraith-universe. And EA is technically almost as good as "Arvoch Conflict".

The thing that made Wing Commander so great wasn't simply the gameplay physics, though for the time, they were state-of-the-art, but rather the storytelling and presentation. You say that Star Wraith has no cutscenes, but cutscenes are what made Wing Commander so famous. Star Wraith just doesn't have the depth of Wing Commander. The flight model may be very good, but Wing Commander fans are used to getting a little more with a game.

Back