Star lancer?

ChrisReid said:
Yeah, Doom 3 was my favorite PC game of 2004. I wouldn't even call it a shoot-em-up. It was a shooter, but it was also a suspenseful game in a way unlike the prior Dooms. I could only play it in 15-20 minute sittings, and it's a really long game, so I never finished it.

haha, neither did I. I could only play in 15-20 minute sittings as well and it seemed like more of a chore to work my way through it so I lost interest quickly. Plus, all guns felt pretty much the same. (Same problem I had with Quake IV...what was the difference between the hyper blaster, nail gun and machine gun? A slight difference in Rate of Fire and ammo type...other than that, they were the same).

I didn't liked doom3 very much. Walk around a corner..oh a monster...next corner...oh a mostner...a door...let me guess is a monster behind it and when I walk through a monster will spawn behind me.
It has become so repetetive after a while. Same with the Halo PC version....only that they made it much worse because they even used the same level architecture again and again....or why did the room that I just left looks exactly the same as this and the next room?

Well this topic was about Starlancer so to come back to that.
Did the english version also got these terrible overacted accents like the german one?
While it is realistic to have people with different accents they where so heavy that it was funny to listen to them.
For everythin else I liked Starlancer. Sure it had some boring mission but most games have these...but their where more good mission IMO then bad ones so I would concider it a good game.
Also the presentation with walking through the ship, haveing your own room with medals, musicbox and later even an aquarium was nice.
Story was a little bit lame but still ok.

gevatter Lars said:
Well this topic was about Starlancer so to come back to that.
Did the english version also got these terrible overacted accents like the german one?

Haha, yes it did. They had some "outrageous" accents. You should have heard Steiner's accent...great stuff.

Doom3 is the second most unoriginal and derivative game ever. It is second only to Quake 4. It does pretends to have a plot, but it actually boils down to the same one as Doom1 with a little bit more fluff. They actually managed to rip off System Shock's log/email thingy without being interesting or useful...

System Shock 1 and 2 had more story, gameplay and overall gaming goodness in one level than D3 had in the entire game. Actually, after you kill the first imp in doom3, you might as well unistall it, because you have seen 99% of the game right there. Walk into room, pick up ammo/health pack, mosnters jump out of a closet, rinse, repeat.

The funny thing is that HL2 did a very good job of integrating storytelling and gameplay, but it was so subtle and well done that several people accuse it of NOT having any story... pff. HL2 is better than Doom 3 in every possible feature... It has better overall graphics, better gameplay, better enemies, better art direction, better performance, better story and better storytelling. For instance, when you first enter dr. Kleiner's lab in Hl2, if you take the time to look at his board and monitors, you will learn a lot of cool things about the story... for instance, there are pictures, post-its and lots of other tidbits. Just because it is not IN YOUR FACE, people think it isn't there... People make good webcomics using Hl2's engine and universe, because the material is there.

BUT, even considering all that, Doom3 was kinda fun. I liked Quake 4 better, because it has tighter shooting and the enemies are a hell lot better. Doom3 is not a bad game, but it is the kind of game that will be forgotten, unlike HL2 or SS2.

Anyway, if I feel like playing an atmospheric, trully scary game, there is nothing like System Shock 2, which is probably my favorite first person experience of all time. I hope BioShock is half as good. It seems to have a rather Hellbo-ish flavor to it... Nazis making bizarre genetic experiments in a jungle? sign me in.

that reminds me of Farcry, another shooter far superior to Doom3.

Yeah I though it was a pretty decent game. I like how you could target the turrets, and the sub missions.

gevatter Lars said:
Hey Steiner was the only one without an accent ^_^
Most fun for me was these japanese guy.

In the english version he has an accent

My fav Starlancer fighter was the Shroud

I found DooM 3 to be fun, and a little scary for the first hour. After that it became far to predictable (oooh a large stockpile of ammo to pick up? no demons here...)
The original AvP was too bugy and for some gay reson never worked on my machine :(
But AvP 2 and the expansion playing as the humans....I nearly decked my father when he thought grabbing my shoulders while I was playing would be funny.
System Shock 2 was pretty good too.

Oh yeah TopGun I'm with you on the shroud, only fighter worth taking against those bloody ion cannon missions.

Yea, that and the Blind Fire made it nice shootin down the Torps, missel load was a little small, but what do you expect for a Light Fighter.

Edfilho said:
Doom3 is the second most unoriginal and derivative game ever. It is second only to Quake 4. It does pretends to have a plot, but it actually boils down to the same one as Doom1 with a little bit more fluff.

The funny thing is that HL2 did a very good job of integrating storytelling and gameplay, but it was so subtle and well done that several people accuse it of NOT having any story... pff. HL2 is better than Doom 3 in every possible feature... It has better overall graphics, better gameplay, better enemies, better art direction, better performance, better story and better storytelling.

For all that "better" stuff, I sure had a lot more fun with Doom 3.

:( https://cdn.wcnews.com/newershots/full/doom08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PattyMan2001 said:
Yea, that and the Blind Fire made it nice shootin down the Torps, missel load was a little small, but what do you expect for a Light Fighter.

Blind Fire is a god send

TopGun said:
Blind Fire is a god send

AMEN! Also those tracking little stinger missile pod thingies weren't too bad either. (been a while, can't think of their actual names).

BTW for those of you who were interested in Starlancer/Freelancer you can always head over to www.lancersreactor.com. They were pretty much the "it" website for both games during their respective development. I used to be a pretty active member, however once Freelancer was released the site was overwhelmed by new members that clogged the forums with trash and foolishness so I pretty much quit.

Half Life 2, while very pretty, wasn't the major event everyone made it out to be. I liked it more than the original - which I all but loathed - but thats not saying much.

I agree that both System Shock games are wondeful though.

ChrisReid said:
For all that "better" stuff, I sure had a lot more fun with Doom 3.

:( https://cdn.wcnews.com/newershots/full/doom08.jpg

Oh, no debate here, I was doing a critical comparison... People will have fun with games for personal and varied reasons. I can't tell you that you WON'T or CAN'T have fun, that would be stupid... Hell, people still play Counter-Strike all the time even now, 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maj.Striker said:
AMEN! Also those tracking little stinger missile pod thingies weren't too bad either. (been a while, can't think of their actual names).

BTW for those of you who were interested in Starlancer/Freelancer you can always head over to www.lancersreactor.com. They were pretty much the "it" website for both games during their respective development. I used to be a pretty active member, however once Freelancer was released the site was overwhelmed by new members that clogged the forums with trash and foolishness so I pretty much quit.

I still go on the site from time to time, the only fourm I tend to use is the off topic one though

Regarding Starlancer:
I like the engine, the ships, the off-mission interface, the gameplay... But I hate the mission design. Too much of the worng kind of scripted events. Whenever i was warming up my dogfighting skills, i got pulled off of the fun part of killing enemies and sent chasing torps. Then I had to go chase torps on the opposite side.... that annoyed me a lot. I like scripted events in missions, but designers should let us fly around shooting other fighters too. That is fun, you know...

I did like Freelancer a lot, especially the whole exploring part. It is really similar to a MMORPG in this aspect. but the ship progression was ludicrous - early ships (american) were artificially very inferior to later ships - German and pirate. If the gap in power is so huge, the americans should have been wiped out long ago. The whole alien infiltration plot was lame too. But I like the gameplay (diablo-in-space) a lot, and the graphics are lovely.

Edfilho said:
I did like Freelancer a lot, especially the whole exploring part. It is really similar to a MMORPG in this aspect. but the ship progression was ludicrous - early ships (american) were artificially very inferior to later ships - German and pirate. If the gap in power is so huge, the americans should have been wiped out long ago. The whole alien infiltration plot was lame too. But I like the gameplay (diablo-in-space) a lot, and the graphics are lovely.

Agree with you completely on the ship progression there. British and American should have been annihilated by the Germans in a few days. Not sure what brilliant fella thought that scheme up. Other than that...fantastic game.

Back