Star lancer?

Dran

Nothing is written here
Ok so Wing Commander Rules we all know that, and this site rules for its resources about the game. But I don't see anything on Star lancer. This was a pretty cool game done in the Wing commander esk genre, and made by Chris Roberts brother. Yet, no info, why?

Starlancer isn't a Wing Commander game and therefor not in the WC universe. This site is dedicated to WC.

you can find some starlancer and freelancer info at www.lancersreactor.com/

I've wondered that too. Starlancer could totally get a section in here. I mean, Privateer 2 isn't really part of the WC universe either, but it's obviously related.

Starlancer really was a great game.

Dran said:
Ok so Wing Commander Rules we all know that, and this site rules for its resources about the game. But I don't see anything on Star lancer. This was a pretty cool game done in the Wing commander esk genre, and made by Chris Roberts brother. Yet, no info, why?

What exactly are you looking for? The CIC has dozens of articles and bits of information on Starlancer. It's a very minor part of our coverage for obvious reasons however.

Bearcat said:
I've wondered that too. Starlancer could totally get a section in here. I mean, Privateer 2 isn't really part of the WC universe either, but it's obviously related.

Don't be silly.

Starlancer? Too short? No, no, no... as fun a game as Starlancer was, it was too *long* - how many missions about chasing torpedoes should a game have?

I agree, Torp chasing was a little over done, but if you were on the ball it was simple enough. I liked the mission in the Kamov, when you attacked the Colition 2nd FLeet, that was fun. I wish they;d have included more missions in a Torp bomber, I always loved dodgeing the flak and AA fire to deliver a load of Torps on an enemy Cap-Ship :D

Privateer 2 is part of the same continuity as the other Wing Commander games... StarLancer isn't.

That's no criticism of StarLancer, it's just not part of our fairly narrow focus - Wing Commander veterans have gone on to make lots of amazing games, but we feel it would cheapen our dedication to be a fan site for everything.

Besides, we decided a long time ago to let the guys at Lanced.Net run the StarLancer fandom, and I'm sure they've done a fine j... oh.

hu's played freelancer.......i fink that was the last darn good space-sim game of the 2000-era.......now we seemed to of switched back to the old advent-shoot'em up era where graphics are far more important than a great storyline (LOOK AT DOOM 3)...some one agree with.......anyone?

I really enjoyed Freelancer, I dont think it totaly lived up to how Microsoft was saying it was going to be, but over all it was fun. I think it needs a Sequal or Expansion.

I was always under the impression that Freelancer was the sequel to Starlancer.

As for Starlancer, cool game, I enjoyed the much lower tech feel of the game compared to other space flight sims of the day. The fact that most of the game was stuck in and around Jupiter and the other outer planets of the solar system was cool. The Capship explosions in the game were very nice as well. There were way too many torp chasing missions though.

In the story, was Earth and Mars already taken by Coalition forces or were there Alliance units fighting there as well?

Free Lancer was a sequal to Starlancer, took place something like 800 years later, when the Aliance was loosing. If you have Freelancer, watch the Intro, explains the connection. If you dont have ut, head over to lancersreactor.com, they have the Intro there I think.

PattyMan2001 said:
Free Lancer was a sequal to Starlancer, took place something like 800 years later, when the Aliance was loosing. If you have Freelancer, watch the Intro, explains the connection. If you dont have ut, head over to lancersreactor.com, they have the Intro there I think.
Wasn't Starlancer the prequel to Freelancer?

Kinda sorta, there only really linked through the Intro from Freelancer. Starlancer came out first, by a few years, then Freelancer.

Don said:
hu's played freelancer.......i fink that was the last darn good space-sim game of the 2000-era.......now we seemed to of switched back to the old advent-shoot'em up era where graphics are far more important than a great storyline (LOOK AT DOOM 3)...some one agree with.......anyone?

Doom 3 isn't a good example because it has a much more complete and cohesive storyline than the Doom games of the 1990s. This complaint always seems like more of a resentment towards the enhanced graphics on newer games rather than an actual response to a lack of deep stories.

Well....and I might be the only one, but I really enjoyed Doom 3 and got seriously freaked out playing the game at night. Very creepy.

Back