Star Citizen guild- oops, I mean squadron...

There are always a few of us in #wingnut at any time. During the evening (American time zones), is probably the best. I'm in between terms at the moment so I'll certainly be around Mon-Tues-Wed to fly.

Has anyone tried out the 2.1 update? I'm diggin' it. Never was a fan of the mouse control, but they've tweaked it so that it works pretty well.

Has anyone tried out the 2.1 update? I'm diggin' it. Never was a fan of the mouse control, but they've tweaked it so that it works pretty well.
I've jumped into freeflight and swarm to test my evasion and gunnery skills with the new flight mechanics but have yet to try out the baby PTU. Anxious to fly with some wingnuts when the party system is implemented.

I also recently changed my handle to better reflect where home is in the 'verse. Feel free to add me if you choose.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/24751/WCCIC-Whistler

Sure. It runs fine. I played 2 hours and then finish myself. No Disc, no error.
Some pics of the flight ready Vanguard!
ScreenShot0088.jpg ScreenShot0090.jpg ScreenShot0092.jpg ScreenShot0093.jpg
The new Freelancer Model is in Hangar and Flightready (don't have a Lancer anymore)
and the Sabre is Hangar ready:
ScreenShot0102.jpg

Someone pick me up :D
ScreenShot0096.jpg

Last edited:
Patch 2.1.1. PTU - some fixed and changes.

The best in my eyes - 24 People now at one Server.

Found this :
8aGJplu.jpg

When we start something like that? ;) One funny guy is EVA above the Glaive! :D

Hey y'all - I've got a tax return coming up here in a month or two and the missus has finally authorized a computer upgrade (been five years since the last one - that rig barely chugs out KSP though it does a decent job at games like Civ4 and Empire at War). I'd like a decent rig with which to run SC; what kind of specs are y'all running the game with?

Hey y'all - I've got a tax return coming up here in a month or two and the missus has finally authorized a computer upgrade (been five years since the last one - that rig barely chugs out KSP though it does a decent job at games like Civ4 and Empire at War). I'd like a decent rig with which to run SC; what kind of specs are y'all running the game with?

At last, something I'm qualified to help with! :D

The game is still largely CPU bound so you won't see the performance heights of most titles (obviously since SC is still in Alpha). That said, my current rig soldiers on using Very High and a couple console graphic tweaks that are self-explainatory:

r_vsync 0
r_motionblur 0

So here is what I'm rocking now:

i7-5920k easily OC'd to 4 ghz (I could easily push it harder with the temps I run.) The 28 lane PCIE lanes offered by this CPU are enough for me as I don't SLI/Crossfire and can easily save a few bucks over the 40 lanes offered by the 5930k or 5960k. My CPU was chosen because my system is much more than a gaming machine and a workstation CPU like Haswell-E is perfect for my budget.

This requires an x99 chipset mobo so I selected one:

ASROCK Extreme4 socket 2011v3

This one was a steal during a newegg sale. Why ASROCK? Had everything I needed at a discount and I like the high-speed m.2 port it features.

Cooling the CPU is a monster Noctua D15 in dual-fan mode. Keeps air temps under 60 celsius and the hardware has much higher tolerances. No water cooling or AIOs in this rig. Be sure of your case size clearances before you buy.

x99 typically requires DDR4 and this board is no exception. Before choosing RAM get only, "low profile" RAM. The large heat spreaders on higher profile RAM are useless, even harmful, to your cooling and physical profile. Corsair and Crucial are my favorite manufacturers but go with who you like. Be aware if you need quad channel or dual channel RAM for your board. Nothing less than 16 GB will do for me so:

Corsair Vengeance LPX series quad kit.

Just squeezes under the giant Noctua block and fans. Cool RAM depends on efficient case cooling not heat spreaders. Don't know why they don't just call them heatsinks.

The GPU is where you shouldn't pull any punches. The best bang for the buck with NVidia is a 980 TI (TITAN is not worth the cost for so little gain from a 980 TI, especially with the new Pascal series GPUs looming in the not-to-distant horizon.) Someone else will have to speak for AMD's series. I wouldn't get anything less than a 970 IMHO if you only game in 1080p. Not all chips are built the same with all manner of companies putting out their versions. Do your research! I went with an excellent factory overclocked out-of-the-box model:

Zotac 980 TI Amp Extreme Edition with 6 GB of VRAM.

Bring on the high res textures!

Now we come to data storage. For the OS and gaming nothing less than SSD will do. Don't need anything too big for the OS drive, enough for the OS, non-game software, and save data. For archived files or software that works better with a slower I/O I just use a high capacity HDD. SSDs do wear out too just like HDDs just in different ways. Since Samsung makes parts for nearly every other brand of quality Solid State Drive put there I stayed in brand with Samsung's EVO brand. Pro isn't worth it for my money but weigh your needs. For high quality HDDs I like HGST and Western Digital. Cheaper Seagates are fine too as long as you're backing up properly.

I don't need a soundcard myself as my USB headset is my preference.

Now after you take into account the amount of other parts you might want in it (optical drives, etc.) you'll need to calculate your power supply needs. There are a few free places online to plug in your hardware choices to do this; simply search for power supply calculator on your engine preference.

Finally, your case and cooling solution.

I'm the paranoid type and don't (as yet) trust water cooling in something so expensive. Regardless, even If you use water cooling for more extreme components you'll still need efficient fan cooling in some parts. To that end there's a great site that did some really great research on styles, types and amount of fans to use in your case.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-cooling-investigation/1

I opted for a 4-fan profile using 3 intakes and 1 exhaust. Two pushing in the front and one on the side, the last for back exhaust heat. 140 mm fans only for me, nothing less. Phantek and Noctua fans are my favorite for their ideal quiet noise-to-power ratio. Cover every intake with a dust screen or reap the whirlwind. If you have dogs like me, I won't even turn the system on without a sealed case and filters. My temps struggle to get above 59 degrees (again Celsius) at full load with ambient room temps fluctuating between 72 and 76 fahrenheit.

Choose a solid case with your required dimensions geared for your chosen cooling solution. I went with a Fractal Design case but there are MANY choices out there. Mid-towers are my preference.

My final advice is to build for the future in some capacity, leave openings for upgrade potential. Spend and replace less as the years go on. My perspective is from an Intel/NVidia point-of-view so take that as you will. I used to be a die-hard AMD fan till the ATI buy-up.

Above all, have fun. It's not everyday you can build yourself a rig. :cool:

Sorry for the wall of text.

But seriously, if you're on a budget, you should have at least 12 GB of DDR3 RAM, an i5 CPU, and a good video card (mine is Radeon R9 270).

I Play with an old 2500k i5 (buy it in 2011 Oo), 16 GB RAM and a Geforce GTX 970, 1080p in around 60 FPS - PU about 40. Max Details. But we don't know how it is on release. And remember - this time only 16 ships are in one instance. Later we get 60 or 80. For myself I looking Forward to the Pascal Nvidia 1070 or whatever they called it with min 6 or 8 GB GDDR RAM. I don't want cut off Details :D

Take a look here: Knusper a german streamer Lets Play Star Citizen and the MERC Corp get 8! People in one Instance and make a Little bit FPS, Dogfight and just fly around. And this is so cool.

And I love the Vanguard too :D
2016-01-23.png
Top 10!

Last edited:
it's definitely starting to come along.. pretty exciting stuff happened first quarter of this year :D

I think it would be a good idea to make it clear what the rules are for interacting with other members of the organization before orgs start to became a very important part the game play.

For example, I plan on being a law abiding citizen, for the most part, but if I come across someone being attacked by law enforcement I’d get a criminal record by helping them but they could end up with some hard feelings if they expected me to help because we were in the same org.

If everyone understands how they’re expected to treat each other beforehand it would, hopefully, prevent situations like that.

I'm not at the PTU but I cannot wait to start my Star-G like this one

and not easy to destroy *note - there is no unarming torps* :D He just not destroy it even with a full Torpedo load. That what we expect, after Roberts says - a single Reta don't take out a Jump solo.

but the effects Looks cool xD

Yesterday a lot of Errors in the Servers hold back my Warlord for its maiden voyage :(

But today!
ScreenShot0328.jpg starcitizen_2016_06_1gpuld.jpg starcitizen_2016_06_1p5uaf.jpg starcitizen_2016_06_1pgukx.jpg starcitizen_2016_06_1u8uq3.jpg starcitizen_2016_06_128u49.jpg
Really CIG??!! I buy a new ship and get one with scratches of over the window! WTF!!! :p

Update: From a tour with some of the Gamestar Org:
ScreenShot0341.jpg ScreenShot0342.jpg ScreenShot0343.jpg ScreenShot0344.jpgstarcitizen2016-06-1268pzi.jpg
it makes so much fun!!!

Last edited:
Back