Star Citizen guild- oops, I mean squadron...

New Poll idea:

"Official CIC squadron name." Official meaning lead by member(s) of our benevolent staff here.

Submit possible entries and vote? Though I like Dund's idea earlier in the thread with Blood Most Noble. Bring a taste of Kilrathi to SC after-all. This is all a prep of course for the future launch of the system but I figured to get real about it sooner then later. Any other ideas?

Only real thing to debate (other than a suitable name) is exactly WHAT kind of organization it would be. Government faithful, PMC, Criminal Syndicate, Trader's coalition, or some hybrid of above.

Discuss?

I was thinking along the lines of the Merc guild from Privateer, so a kind of PMC. So obviously that became 'Gemini Mercenaries Guild'. A sister group could then be 'Gemini Merchant's Guild'.

According to the official comms, there will be the option to join multiple groups eventually. So a Kilrathi-esqe criminal org could easily be constructed using Vanduul ships etc. etc. List:

Gemini Mercenaries Guild
Blood Most Noble

Totally open to suggestions here. I'm interested in keeping to the PMC side of things, though.

The Mercanaries Guild, then we need a logo that's half fish, half canary.

whoooosh! There it goes. Way up there. Neck fully back.

So until I hear anything else I'm going to stick with 'Gemini Mercenaries Guild'. Note that the acronym is GMG. A freelancer reference... So now just waiting around until the org system gets up and running.

I'm not particularly interested in creating a website - sounds like SC will have a nice private forum for comms and announcements instead.

Again, if anyone has any genius ideas for a better name I'd love to hear them. Something referring to Wcnews would be nice. I was playing around with something that makes WCCIC or for a throwback, WCHS. Or Whoey Clewis & The News. Cos it's hip to be square.

There are always any of the other squadron names from the games to consider as well. A lot of them are a bit generic and don't scream Wing Commander as much as the others, but we can always think about them too.

Black Lance(rs). Reason, after the BL was ousted by Blair and with the suicide of Tolwyn, a group of the genetically modified soldier's formed a secretive group to continue the plans of their beloved lost leader. They infiltrated Confed at the highest level over many decades, but never impatient and always cold and calculating. Thus forming the new world of the glorious Earth empire as it is today. Add the "rs" to the end and we pay homage to Star Lancer too, just saying. ;)

They would be loyalist to Earth, but be willing to get there hands dirty for the good of the empire, even if some collateral damage is involved. A just cause for the Empire.

Not big on the whole idea of naming ourselves after a pack of murdering zealots, similar to neo-Nazis.

GMG is ok I guess but I wanted to be pure WC rather then sound like we're from Freelancer. Using the word 'mercenaries' also feels a little limiting for our scope. Clearly there's more than just mercs among us.

I liked Dundradal's idea originally as it calls us Most Noble...we are the Wing Commander loyalists who held faith that Chris Roberts would return to greatness. It's not Wing Commander so we take the spirit of WC with us.

Something that expresses our roots and remains open to all our die-hard fans over the years.

Thrak'Ra Coalition? (Sorry, that just popped in my head)

Kilrathi at least, as compared to BL, at least weren't human and had purpose in their brutality. Being human should mean something.

What else can we come up with?

Yes, it took me a moment to re-parse "Mercenary" as "Mer-Canary" as well.

Ahahahaha! Can't believe I missed that!

Good point about keeping away from the title 'Mercenary'. I do like the idea of perhaps a squadron name from one of the WC games.

Killer Bees
Star Slayers
Blue Devils
Black Lions

Can't remember the names of squadrons from Prophecy. Diamondbacks? Black Widows I know for sure. There was another one? 'Killer Bees' does have a bit of a nice feel to it; being the first squadron the player ever belongs to in the series. I also like the logo. Being a Squadron might just keep it a bit more sensible than a whole 'guild'. I suppose no reason not to have them all (as above). Each a separate organisation run by whoever, dependant on ship type (as were the squadrons in WC1).

Could also be the 'Tiger Claws'... or 'Tiger Hearts'. Hah.

I'm just throwing stuff out there as I think of it. Ramble ramble ramble.

If you guys will make a Star Citizen Squadron, I'll join!
I wish I could bring a little Swedish touch to such a Squadron, but we haven't been officially at war with another nation since 1814 :)

If you guys will make a Star Citizen Squadron, I'll join!
I wish I could bring a little Swedish touch to such a Squadron, but we haven't been officially at war with another nation since 1814 :)

I'm sure we could use some Scandinavian names for flight/squad structure (I.e. Valkyrie flight, Viking flight etc etc) ;) Close enough?

The more I think 'Tiger Hearts' the more I like it. Imagine the logo as a king of hearts playing card, with the image of the king a kilrathi! Not only is it a blatant wc reference, but the player squadron in starlancer was nicknamed the 'tigers' - in itself a reference to the flying tigers volunteers of ww2. Who were also considered Mercanaries in some respects! This just keeps going round and round in circles!

Something involving Tigers sounds good, not sure on Hearts so much, doesn't sound mean enough.

Heart of the Tiger, Tiger's Claw, 45th Flying Tigers...the proud species that IMHO are what Kilrathi resemble...tigers seem to feature prominently in lots of Chris Robert's games.

This sounds like a good base to start with, but I'm just me.

Any others? I'm sure there are dozens of potential names.

An old Kilrathi battlecry comes to mind, "Talons of the Emperor!"

There's already a Flying Tigers squadron, unfortunately. I know what you mean about Tiger Hearts, doesn't make a lot of sense really does it?

This is going on a bit long now. What does everyone think of just grabbing one of the four WC1 squadron names? (as above) I'm really stuck on this - I know there is a genius idea out there, that I will find once I've registered the name and won't be able to change it! The only issue I see is that it's probably a pretty popular choice - and with multiple orgs being able to exist with the same name (but with unique ID#'s) it might get a little confusing.

Blood Most Noble would make a great slogan. In the Latin; Sanguis Maxime Nobilissimus

EDIT: Google translate just says Sanguis Nobilissimus Or Et Sanguine Nobilis. I've angleirised.

Back