[SPOILERS] Star Wars movie thread... [Don't read this thread if you haven't seen the movie yet]

Holy S***!
I watched it ONCE, years ago, and I am still traumatized.

EDIT: I kind of agree with Quarto, about many many things in the EU (I am not an expert myself, I know only very few stories from the EU in depth), a lot of that stuff didn't sound too good to me.
What I liked about it were the background infos. How the Empire was structured, what the general history of that long war was, where the Sith and Jedi came from, how lightsabers evolved over the years (with the backpacks in the beginning, pretty hilarious!), Mandalorians, Jedi Shadows, Sith Spawn, Imperial Remnants, dark side and light side Jedi that survived during the Empire, and how (Remember Jerec, Rahn, and those guys? Really interesting characters IMO)

I also thought some ofthe stories told in games were pretty nice, the most important ones being XWA and the Jedi Knight series, which IMO fit in very well, Kyle Katarn being one of my favourite characters in Star Wars ever.

EDIT: Sorry for the many edits, I was thinking about stuff while writing instead of before writing. :D

Last edited:
At the very least, some of the new novels (at least in paperback) have an actual timeline printed in the front that shows where each book fits between the films.
AS long as it's not by Hack Wendig, I'll give it a shot. That list leaves the comics out though, be sure to check them out as well. There's also Lost Stars, Smuggler's Run, Moving Target, Weapon of the Jedi and Before the Awakening. Some may argue that those are the junior novelizations... but to that, I say "have you read Aftermath?"

Ali and I watch the Holiday Special every Thanksgiving... and we're still married! :)

It is NOT good (and downright boring, the worst sin but it is fascinating as an artifact.
Masochistic tendencies anyone? :p

I've seen it fully once for completionist sake and it was some of the most ridiculous piece of... but I digress.

I prefer to think of the former EU canon as an alternate timeline of events rather than being swept to the four winds. Similar to how for example a character can have multiple editions of itself such as Detective Comics' Batman. Golden, Silver, New Age, Arkham games, etc.

The original EU is simply known as the Legends timeline now. Gone but not forgotten. I rather enjoy the novels despite my issues with how they tear apart the galaxy. The damage rout by the Yuuzhan Vong probably as the biggest example.

I can live with it.

Funny you bring up the X-Wing games Quarto. I was just thinking of doing a replay of the old LucasArts games listening to Imuse with the Timbres of Heaven soundfont. Starting with X-Wing CD!

Been playing through X-Wing again lately; just got through what Stackpole calls "The Requiem Mission" in Rogue Squadron. I forgotten what a pain in the backside the Maze was, no matter what fighter you flew. Finished all but the B-wing maze runs at this point. Ah, for the days of early 90s games that had to include exercises in killing time more than anything else...let me just shoot crap already, purdy please......

Been playing through X-Wing again lately; just got through what Stackpole calls "The Requiem Mission" in Rogue Squadron. I forgotten what a pain in the backside the Maze was, no matter what fighter you flew. Finished all but the B-wing maze runs at this point. Ah, for the days of early 90s games that had to include exercises in killing time more than anything else...let me just shoot crap already, purdy please......

"Not bad, but you still need training." :D

I don’t share the general population’s opinion about the ‘split’ being anything negative at all. There’s a great, great Dune quote: “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife – chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: ‘Now, it’s complete because it ended here.’” I love the idea that that’s exactly what happened to Star Wars: you have one body of work, Legends, that’s whole now for no other reason than because it’s done… and then you have a new one to grow from. Nothing about two things sharing the same elements (the original movies, some TV shows, a couple comics) strikes me as a bad thing, or even different from anything else in the world. It’s mythology at its most pure… here’s how the Greeks viewed it, here’s how the Romans viewed it, etc.

Star Wars in 2012 was daunting. I’d given up trying to keep up with comics, novels, games, etc… but now I’m not just following the new stuff, I’m going back to the Legends material (started with Splinter of the Mind’s Eye!) knowing it has an ending, a point where I’ve made it through the whole thing. I think that’s great! (I also love that it's honest and ordered in a way most other properties aren't. How many Star Trek universes are there REALLY? The TV canon, the FASA game, the new movies, the books, Starfleet Battles and so on and so on forever... why not embrace that instead of pretending there's a corporate mandate telling us to throw out some bit or bob we enjoyed?)

I don't see the "split" as anything of particular offense to me. I haven't bothered with Star Wars spin off stuff since 2006 or so and even then, I wasn't reading the novels or comic books with any regularity. There are a handful of things I enjoyed like Shadows Of The Empire, Dark Forces, the aforementioned Radio Dramas but by and large the stuff beyond the films didn't seem like Star Wars so I put my money elsewhere. Star Wars was six films (yes, six!) I enjoyed and was devoted to. I will admit some small pang of sorrow that we'll never get another Kyle Katarn video game but that won't keep me awake at night either.

As to the future of the series - the "future corporate mandate", as you detail it - and putting aside my hysterical-if-earnest pathological loathing of JJ Abrams thats lasted for nearly a decade, the current direction the franchise is going is making me step off the path. Episode VIII may change that but as it exists right now with Episode VII and Rogue One (which looks like band photographs from a 1998 rapcore album) and the horrible, horrible internet fandom (impossibly loud and rabid fanboys who extol the newest film beyond sanity versus fans who are petitioning 20 years of money from Disney because the EU is no longer valid) I feel unable to attach myself to it at all, and since the public love/hate party has started, I've made relatively few posts about the film because I cannot stand the fans on either side of the fence. I can no longer identify with what the franchise is turning into. ("He's more machine now than man..." comes to mind of Disney's production systems ala Marvel). And no looking forward to Star Wars is truly weird to me.

And thats fine, I guess. I'll vote with my wallet, as always. Its just a serious case of cognitive dissonance on my end.

"Not bad, but you still need training." :D

Truly some the most annoying words in all of Star Wars. Except for perhaps "Me-sa named Jar Jar Binks"......or, for that matter, pretty much anything said in The Phantom Menace.

You know something that bugged me this morning? Not that Star Wars has ever given credence whatsoever to the science of physics, but how exactly do you fit an entire G-type star into a planet? And wouldn't the damn thing want to up and nova while you were still in the process of sucking most of its matter away? That's what really bugs me the most about Starkiller Base - Abrams took the time to explain how it ostensibly worked, and that was completely unnecessary, IMHO. They never took the time to explain how anything worked in Star Wars before The Force Awakens, IIRC...

Starkiller base almost ruined episode 7 for me. I love that movie but that base was sooooooooooo unnecessary. I was too excited about the other story going on to even care about the base. I wanna see more Poe shooting down tie fighters in ep 8. That gave me goosebumps all 3 times i watched it.

Poe's a big show-off - which is my humble (and jealous) opinion of anybody who can shoot down 8-9 TIEs in rapid succession in low level atmo without running into the ground, and apparently without the Force. Give me Wedge Antilles any day.

I suppose it hasn't been established whether or not Poe is not Force-sensitive. Certainly doesn't seem that way, though.

Fired up X-Wing Alliance first time - met six Ace TIEs in the sim and didn't even get a shot off before they shot me out of the sky. Jerks.

Poe's a big show-off - which is my humble (and jealous) opinion of anybody who can shoot down 8-9 TIEs in rapid succession in low level atmo without running into the ground, and apparently without the Force. Give me Wedge Antilles any day.

I suppose it hasn't been established whether or not Poe is not Force-sensitive. Certainly doesn't seem that way, though.
Agreed. I like the character though. I enjoyed the part with him shooting all the TIEs down... but when he picked off the Stormtroopers that were inches away from Han, Chewie and Finn.... that's where I was like "ok, I can push the 'I believe' button on The Force, Hyperspace, Lightsabers.... but that's just too good of a shot." The part where my wife would say "Really? That's where it all falls apart for you?"

Truly some the most annoying words in all of Star Wars. Except for perhaps "Me-sa named Jar Jar Binks"......or, for that matter, pretty much anything said in The Phantom Menace.
Hehe. Just you wait. One day, when I somehow magically have too much time on my hands, I will record that scene from X-Wing, and just for you, I upload a video with those words and voiceovers replaced by "Me-sa named Jar Jar Binks".

(but yeah, those maze runs are a nightmare. Can you imagine today, a game being published with something that appears to be a tutorial mission... and yet is so impossibly difficult, most players finish the game without ever finishing the tutorial?)

Back then I played X-Wing at a friend's house and I rage quit the game after playing this mission.
I remember saying something along the lines of "F*** THIS, I am going back to Wing Commander"
(we had some discussions of WC vs. X-Wing back then, I was on the WC side. I never owned an X-Wing game before XWA, but played them all at least for a short time)

One thing I'd like to know about what is (now) canon and what is not:

OK, I get it that "The Clone Wars", the computer animated TV serie and the movie are canon (the one with Ahsoka).

But what about "Star Wars: Clone Wars", the cartoon series? I don't see it mentioned anywhere but I can't really believe that this is really not canon. After all, it shows how Anakin got his scar, when C3Po went golden and it sets up the beginning of Episode III with the attack and Coruscant and Palpatine's kidnapping.

Can anyone answer me this?

One thing I'd like to know about what is (now) canon and what is not:

OK, I get it that "The Clone Wars", the computer animated TV serie and the movie are canon (the one with Ahsoka).

But what about "Star Wars: Clone Wars", the cartoon series? I don't see it mentioned anywhere but I can't really believe that this is really not canon. After all, it shows how Anakin got his scar, when C3Po went golden and it sets up the beginning of Episode III with the attack and Coruscant and Palpatine's kidnapping.

Can anyone answer me this?
Excellent question, one that I wonder about as well. I have seen it labelled as "Legends".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Clone_Wars

It was a great series, spans the end of Ep II and stops right at the opening of Ep III. Unfortunately, I think they've tossed the baby with the bathwater by wiping the slate clean of EU canon. Hopefully, they'll begin accepting EU back into the new canon, or rewriting it.

Don't hold your breath. The point of creating "Legends" was to start anew; they'll never bring back EU as a canonized material.
What I mean is covering the "in between" tales such as "Shadows of the Empire". Gotta put something in there, right? I mean, they don't hate money.

Last edited:
I'm with Loaf in the fact that I'm actually happy the EU has an ending now. I used to read every Star Wars book i could get my hands on but a few years ago I started getting overwhelmed. I'm now encouraged to go back and finish the EU up cuz I know i can finally catch up and complete it. I mean, just cuz it's not movie canon anymore doesn't make it not cool IMO. It also gives writers a chance to go back and take a second try at it. And now to have movies tie in with the new books is a cool thing. At first I was a little mad but I understood quickly why it needed to happen. They wanted to tell new stories.

What I DO have a problem with is how Batman live action movies don't follow anything from the comic books at all. But that's a topic for another thread I suppose.....

I personally would like to see George Lucas write a book that details what his version of Episode 7 would be.... but that would require him to write a book. Naturally, it would go straight to "Legends". Wouldn't be the first time something akin to this has happened. Check out "The Star Wars" comic, which adapts the original draft story from Lucas.

No, he didn't write "Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker", you have Alan Dean Foster to thank for that.

lhRk16H.jpg

Back