Save the Behemoth.

I spent a lot of time trying to save the behemoth in WC3, just as I spent a lot of time trying to get a winning cutscene at the start of SM1. Got so used to having a winning and losing track... I guess it would have been a short expansion if it had a winning cut, though.

I ended up trying to save the Behemoth more times then I care to admit, I even tried alternate strategies such as going to the Kilrah nav point and blowing up the jump buoy. (Not sure what I hoped to achieve.)

Interestingly, after trying that i'd fly home, (having ignored the behemoth completely and letting it handle the Paktahns by itself), Rollins would tell me:

'Team effort has cleared the perimeter sir, we're still in buissness, you're cleared to land'.

Then I land and it goes to the Tolwyn leaving moodily scene.

I ended up trying to save the Behemoth more times then I care to admit, I even tried alternate strategies such as going to the Kilrah nav point and blowing up the jump buoy. (Not sure what I hoped to achieve.)

Interestingly, after trying that i'd fly home, (having ignored the behemoth completely and letting it handle the Paktahns by itself), Rollins would tell me:

'Team effort has cleared the perimeter sir, we're still in buissness, you're cleared to land'.

Then I land and it goes to the Tolwyn leaving moodily scene.

So you can actually beat the mission? This is pretty interesting :)

Did you fly there manually, or were you able to autopilot?

I spent a lot of time trying to get a winning cutscene at the start of SM1.

And I tried really hard to get a losing cutscene at the start of SM2, and managed to do it : it's a black screen that makes the game crash, with the losing music to boot. :p

So you can actually beat the mission? This is pretty interesting :)

Did you fly there manually, or were you able to autopilot?

There's a jump-point nav on the nav map which you can select and fly to on autopilot. Maybe the mission was originally intended to let you get a little way with the Behemoth before it kaploded. Or maybe it's just scenery. Either way you can blow it up.

But yeah, I suppose that's as good a result as you can get.

I've also read, sometime ago, that some succeeded to kill Thrakhath and land back on the Victory within the time limit. I wonder if that was just a ghost story, though. :)

I've also read, sometime ago, that some succeeded to kill Thrakhath and land back on the Victory within the time limit. I wonder if that was just a ghost story, though. :)

I've done that, I kind of cheated though. Basically I just save up all my missiles, hurl each and every one at Thrakhath from a distance, charge back to the Victory and hope for the best. It normally works. I think you can only kill thrakhath and return to the victory on the non-kilrathi saga version of the game though.

In KS, the ability to kill Thrak with a full missile salvo and still land was removed, so the Victory would jump out even if there was plenty of time left on the countdown.

However, even though the DOS version let you kill him and still make it back in time to catch a ride, it didn't actually count, which is just as well seeing as that's the climax of the space combat part of the final mission.

(Personally, I found Hobbes a bigger threat. Possibly related to that rear T-bolt turret being annoyingly accurate.)

Note that autogunners aren't the norm - they're said to be less effective than a human... ships in the later games still *usually* have gun crews.

Note that autogunners aren't the norm - they're said to be less effective than a human... ships in the later games still *usually* have gun crews.

Which makes the story that Hobbes' rear gun was automated. When I dueled him, his rear gun couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!

Which makes the story that Hobbes' rear gun was automated. When I dueled him, his rear gun couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!

Yes, I don't think anyone questioned that... (it's also possible he was switching to the turret to fire himself - since Blair is capable of doing that.)

Yes, it is probably possible to control the turret from the pilot's seat. Given that Hobbes did not have to worry about anybody other than Blair attacking him during that duel, it would make sense for him to alternate between using the main guns and the tail gun.

Yes, it is probably possible to control the turret from the pilot's seat. Given that Hobbes did not have to worry about anybody other than Blair attacking him during that duel, it would make sense for him to alternate between using the main guns and the tail gun.

I don't know, it'd be pretty tough to operate the turret and maneuver at the same time.

~~~, Ralgha is a top ace, same as Blair. If anybody could do both at once, I would think that he could.

Back