Save the Behemoth.

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
I was just wondering if anyone was as dumb as I was when I first played WC3 and restarted the Behemoth defense mission a couple of times to try to save it.

I was. I tried to save it over and over again. I even managed to kill those Paktahns very fast, and everybody knows how hard their rear turrets can hit you in an Arrow.

I don't like missions you can't win. Well, but that is just realistic....

:)

I restarted once or twice. Killed the cats so fast then that I knew it was a scripted death.

Killed the cats so fast then that I knew it was a scripted death.

Me too, that was the point I realized that you can't save the Behemoth.
But I was surprised by the fact that the game wasn't over, because I thought:
"Hey, that game is already quite long, that must be the end!"

plus: I had never played games with a story that has turns in it. I think it is one reason why WC3 and WC4 are still (and will be forever) two of my favourite games.

This was a common problem in the mid-1990s. The game doesn't do a very good job of explaining that you have to lose *some* missions.

What, you guys couldn't save the Behemoth??? Amateurs...

All you have to do is shoot down Hobbes and kill his ejection pod before he turns traitor.

Seriously though, there was some cheat you could use that would kill a targeted enemy; even using that I couldn't save it, so I figured c'est la vie.

That mission generates infinite Paktahns until the Behemoth explodes, so all using "Finger of God" does is pad the count on the kill board.

I'm still trying to save Dallas.
How familliar. I even at one moment figured that if i keep my wing formed he cant die. But for unknow reason i ordered them to break formation(guess i just got bored)

I had a really bad feeling about this mission the moment I saw all those Paktahns (so far away!) attacking the Behemoth. I kind of expected something bad to happen, so I didn't really try to win the mission afterwards.

I did expect the game to end shortly after, though, and I remember being surprised at how long WC3 was.

That's exactly why I had a problem with it. The whole 'Behemoth' plot arc ended up being 'haha, Tolwyn's got egg on his face' instead of anything especially important for the story. If anything, it makes the T-Bomb ending problematic The game makes such a point about the moral (and egotistical) issues inherent in having Tolwyn blow up Kilrah with his super gun... and then Blair gets to do the same thing and be the hero!

That's exactly why I had a problem with it. The whole 'Behemoth' plot arc ended up being 'haha, Tolwyn's got egg on his face' instead of anything especially important for the story. If anything, it makes the T-Bomb ending problematic The game makes such a point about the moral (and egotistical) issues inherent in having Tolwyn blow up Kilrah with his super gun... and then Blair gets to do the same thing and be the hero!

Ah, but he was the guy from Star Wars! It makes everything better...

But seriously - at least the novel tried to explain it off; 'them or us' is pretty simplistic as far as arguments go. And unfortunately, at that point in the war, there weren't many reasonable options left. The strontium-90 attacks on the inner worlds had made it clear surrender was no longer an option, and trying to split the Kilrathi through political means or whatever underhanded methods that were available to Confed wasn't an option - the only person who MIGHT have been able to pull it off and who would've possibly let the humans live afterwards (Jukaga) was already dead at that point.

Still, the way they just destroyed the Behemoth seemed, as you pointed out, overly simplistic. Yes, the filming was expensive and they probably couldn't do another route (Tolwyn fires the Death Behemoth into Kilrah), but at the same time, the forcing of the Temblor route basically shifted the blame/credit for killing a planetful of Kilrathi solely onto Blair's shoulders.

I restarted once or twice. Killed the cats so fast then that I knew it was a scripted death.

The fancy cutscene and how nicely everything unraveled made me think it was scripted, even at the time. For some reason, it didn't much bother me that WC does have custscenes for losing/alternate situations too. Maybe the fact that I knew such scenes existed made me think that even if it was my fault, it'd be fun to just keep going on.

The fancy cutscene and how nicely everything unraveled made me think it was scripted, even at the time. For some reason, it didn't much bother me that WC does have custscenes for losing/alternate situations too. Maybe the fact that I knew such scenes existed made me think that even if it was my fault, it'd be fun to just keep going on.

The first time? No. I want to see the winning ending. Exploring alternatives is fun, but something I do later on. What really bothered me in WC3 however was that someone spoiled me that Hobbes is a traitor. I was sooooo hoping this was only a loosing path event and that he didn't have a clue.

Since at the time my computer sucked, my first experience of WC3 was via the novel. And I too was quite surprised when Hobbes turned out to be the traitor. I basically just stopped reading for a moment and said "Huh. Guess Blair was wrong all along."

Back