Rebel Galaxy Outlaw!

I don't know Mafia is a great game I played it back in the early 2000s and they redid the whole story line to a certain extent and I'm begging them off your stuff to just got back from Las Vegas on my honeymoon

I don't think Mafia can really play into the comparison here. If that's a type of game you like and you feel like playing that rather than a space sim, go for it, but I don't think we're in much of a position to weigh in on that.

But as far as comparing the two spaces sims go, I would similarly echo Pedro's sentiments. If you can afford it, get both! They're both launching at budget prices ($30 and $40) and add up to roughly the cost of a normal full size release combined. Aside from both being space sims, they're also very different offerings. Think of Squadrons as your WC game and RGO as your Privateer.

I've sampled a great many space sims in recent years, but RGO is the first that's actually hooked me and compelled me to play past the beginnings in a long time. The constant Wing Commander nods gives it an excellent learning curve compared to most games. There's no question how the Imrec launcher works compared to the Heat Seaker missiles. The mass driver is a good starter gun, but eventually you'll want to move up to a tachyon cannon. Get a tractor beam to suck up space salvage and don't bother with a jump drive until you're ready to venture to other star systems for missions, but since there are Merchants and Mercenaries Guild offices in your starter stations, there's no rush to leave. Be careful about upgrading your shield generator faster than your power plant. Finish a tough mission and you'll be treating to the sweet transmission, "You're now entering an automatic landing zone." It's much more of a spiritual successor to Privateer than Starlancer or Squadron 42 are to Wing Commander.

It has a lot of nice quality-of-life things that modern games feature that we didn't have 27 years ago. You don't accidentally dock when you get too close to a space station you're defending. When you buy a new ship, your gear just automatically transfer rather than having to sell at a loss and rebuy. There are in-game tips about whether the commodity prices are good or bad. Cloud saves are wonderful.

I think Star Wars Squadrons looks pretty slick too, and we'll see soon enough. A big selling point there will be the multiplayer. A bunch of the folks on the #Wingnut Discord will be picking up the game and playing after it comes out.

I think it was L.I.F's sentiment. But had I weighted in I'd absolutely say buy both.
RGO is excellent, I have issues with it but it's still easily my favourite space combat title in decades.
Squadrons looks amazing, clearly the team is catering to wingnuts like us.

to be honest I never got into privateer not my type of game, too much freedom for me, I know that sounds strange to most but it is the same thing as a world of warcraft ,or other never ending games. I like a clear start, middle, and end. That is why I love wing commander bc it follows a three act structure, like a movie. It is also why adventure games are actually my favorite genre of games, not space sims, although wing commander is my favorite series of all time. That is why I never had any interest in star citizen at all, only squadron 42. I hope that makes sense. So what I am really asking is how is the story lol?

to be honest I never got into privateer not my type of game, too much freedom for me, I know that sounds strange to most but it is the same thing as a world of warcraft ,or other never ending games. I like a clear start, middle, and end. That is why I love wing commander bc it follows a three act structure, like a movie. It is also why adventure games are actually my favorite genre of games, not space sims, although wing commander is my favorite series of all time. That is why I never had any interest in star citizen at all, only squadron 42. I hope that makes sense. So what I am really asking is how is the story lol?

I wouldn't say either Privateer or RGO are open ended in the way you are concerned about. Freelancer and to some extent Privateer 2 offer a good amount of side content to explore relatively indefinitely (until you're tired of it), but both Priv and RGO give you just enough freedom to complete the work of fully outfitting a ship. Then you do the story, and then you can satisfactorily put the game back on the shelf.

Jdawg, If you're looking for:
  • a great game;
  • with a surprisingly timely story that has a start, middle, and end;
  • set in the Wing Commander universe;
  • with an emphasis on adventure, exploration, business skill, and customization;
  • with a dose of Blade Runner (is that flying car in Los Angeles or New Detroit?)
SCREE028.GIF
;​
  • that's often on sale for a fraction of its $134.85 original price; and
  • that won't take more time to finish than you may have available (How Long to Beat estimates 16 hours versus 27 hours for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw)
then maybe you might want to give Wing Commander: Privateer another look?

(I haven't played Rebel Galaxy Outlaw but it sounds great too)

Last edited:
Still have not played Outlaw 😟 , so many games...

However, the Epic Store exclusivity period is over now, correct? Any chance of a GoG release soon-ish? I know it is on Steam now...

Gog is not coming out, Steam works great, so does epic. I don't have a console, so I cannot comment on them.

Jdawg, If you're looking for:
  • a great game;
  • with a surprisingly timely story that has a start, middle, and end;
  • set in the Wing Commander universe;
  • with an emphasis on adventure, exploration, business skill, and customization;
  • with a dose of Blade Runner (is that flying car in Los Angeles or New Detroit?)
SCREE028.GIF
;​
  • that's often on sale for a fraction of its $134.85 original price; and
  • that won't take more time to finish than you may have available (How Long to Beat estimates 16 hours versus 27 hours for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw)
then maybe you might want to give Wing Commander: Privateer another look?

(I haven't played Rebel Galaxy Outlaw but it sounds great too)
I tried it yrs ago just not for me, Sorry. I never did play the sequel though.

MMM, yes and no, Privateer is also a bit like you mentioned but it depends how you approach the game, both 1 and 2, if you simply follow the storyline it starts, middle ends but just more, lots of fun and you want to continue to see what is next. If you like Wing Commander I would really recommend giving it a try.

Last edited:
It's nice of double damage to bring the wing commander crowd to GoG... it might help the sales of that cyberpunk game I keep hearing about. ;)

I'm glad I found a RGO thread already going to ask this.

I heard that the modkit is dead. Please for the love of god tell me that isn't true! (While being honest...)

Ugh.... OMDG space sim fans have the be the unluckiest bunch there is. :/

Anyone have any idea of how moddable it is "as is?"

Thanks

I can't remember where I saw it, but somewhere, I read that the mod kit was still going to be released. That being said, unless I missed something, that seems unlikely at this point. I could seriously cry right about now...

Does anyone know for sure if the mod kit is DOA or not?

Also, if it is DOA, how mod-able is RGO without a mod kit?

Thanks!

DM

Mod kit seems to be "on track" despite pandemic and toxic "fans" treating double damage like double dung.

Back