Rebel Galaxy Outlaw!

From my understanding, the only real differences to difficulty settings are in fact the assists. I don't think, from what has been said, enemy AI or stats get any buffs regardless of difficulty. It's just Normal with all assists + better starting equipment, Veteran (same as normal, but worse starting equipment), then Sim which turns off the flight assist but still has aim assist, and finally Old School which turns off all assists. The latter two also lock you to 1st person. Oh, and one other setting in the menus, where if you're playing on Normal or Veteran, you can have autoaim only work when autotracking a target and not the rest of the time. This covers quite a few configurations, though not every combination, but maybe what you're looking for is one of those. It's definitely a pretty unique approach to difficulty selection compared to most games!

Well I tried Sim first but the starting equipment was too punishing by far so I went back and tried normal; I definitely had more fun in this mode; the essentials like a color coded radar made it much more welcoming (not to mention afterburner out of the gate).
The issue is the auto lock-on, I really didn't want that. When it's there I use it because it definitely makes the game easier but it also makes combat feel like those sections in games where you're balancing on a rope, a little adjustment left, a little to the right. Not really very adrenaline pumping.
I actually to my shame added that lock on assist to a not so secret cancelled game about a decade ago. Now the space combat had nothing to do with it's cancellation and I understood why that auto-follow existed even then, space combat is niche and you need to give new players some help, but even after hundreds of hours of playtesting I couldn't come to like it (oddly the best space combat control scheme was with the Wii remote! A freelancer-esque input where you actually pointed where you wanted to go and rolled your controller to roll your fighter on screen felt great).

I do think my ideal would be a mode with no auto follow and the difficulty balanced accordingly, but still being able to pick the amount of starting equipment.

I'm also going to have to experiment with taking afterburner off the left stick, it's hugely hard to turn holding that down so I feel pretty forced to use the auto-follow during combat.

I don't want to harp on about that too much because I am having a blast. For such a small dev team the production quality is hugely impressive and this is the best space combat experience I've had since Freelancer.

EDIT: Is there a command line option to skip the launcher? Atm if I want to steam link it I have to run over from my TV to the PC to skip over it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see your point - it'd be nice if they added a Custom difficulty setting where you can pick and choose starting equipment level, autoaim, autofollow, and 3rd person toggles so people can mix and match. What I'd recommend for now on Sim is taking some really easy missions at first and just grinding out upgrading your radar to something with the color coding first thing. It would take a bit of time, but should still be doable. (At least on Veteran, you start out with the Radar MK 2, and even if it's black and white, I sold it for cash and bought a MK 1 cheap so I could actually get some decent weapons instead and make some cash on easy missions...upgrading radar is going to be a priority to a color coded one as quickly as possible after a few essentials like tractor and afterburner.)

And yes, you can skip the launcher.
From their brand new FAQ:

I just wanna play the game by itself and not use icky EGS
To play without launcher, you can just create a shortcut to the game itself with -EpicPortal
To play without the EGS launcher AND without the Rebel Galaxy Outlaw launcher, create a shortcut to the game itself with -EpicPortal and -SKIPLAUNCHER in the commandline

Also, 100% agree. This is the game I've been waiting a LOOOONG time for!

Last edited:
Awesome,
Just checked the specs for running this and my Potato PC is well within range, great job Howard & team, I'll be picking this up come payday

I can confirm it runs pretty well on older hardware. Running a 5 year old build (although it was a pretty good one at the time) and it runs at 1080P on high without an issue. =) Very well optimized IMO as a lot of new games chug on this system now.

They've really been working to patch little issues; several patches already out with another supposed to be coming today.

I've been lurking and watching this games development for a while (and was the sole reason I got an Epic Games account). It runs wonderfully on my 5 year old gaming rig, in windowed or full screen mode. But I don't recommend windowed unless you have a giant monitor, or are running it windowed full screen. OR have very very good vision. I'll also echo that it made it much easier for me to get started after watching their getting started video. The only downsides for me at the moment is that I'm not used to the combat pace this game provides anymore, and my vision (repeatedly told not colorblind, merely color deficient) makes it hard for me to translate some of the indicators. I've not looked into a work around yet, but I'm sure if they aren't out there they will be soon. Or more likely I'll just play it enough and figure out how to translate what my eyes are telling me. I knew exactly what I was getting into on that score before I purchased the game.

I'd say I'm not a fan of the game pad, but truthfully the control combinations aren't any worse that playing Madden or any of the various fighting games out these days. I just have to get used to it. The more I play the more tuned I get and the less I need or want to use the auto follow (helps a lot when I'm trying to clear mines and my dogs keep hitting my right hand and I throttle up and start exploding). Though I tend to keep accidentally shooting missiles instead of hitting the A button... sorry officer :p

It definitely has the vibe I've been waiting a long time for and am loving it, even when I screw up. I'm thinking I need to move my HDMI cable from my 1440 monitor to my 4K TV this weekend, bust out the surround sound system and annoy the family as I go merc on some people.

Yeah, the bigger screen should definitely help. You could also pop by their Discord ( https://discord.gg/rU6nNTj ) and mention the color issues you're having in their tech support and feedback channel. I can't promise they'll put in an option, but the support so far has been really exceptional (multiple people there every day just handling issue after issue as they come up and working with the engineer on patches), and I'm sure they'll take note of it.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to primarily play with a gamepad or HOTAS as well. They both have their pros and cons.

Yeah, the bigger screen should definitely help. You could also pop by their Discord ( https://discord.gg/rU6nNTj ) and mention the color issues you're having in their tech support and feedback channel. I can't promise they'll put in an option, but the support so far has been really exceptional (multiple people there every day just handling issue after issue as they come up and working with the engineer on patches), and I'm sure they'll take note of it.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to primarily play with a gamepad or HOTAS as well. They both have their pros and cons.

A lot of modern games do a post process effect to shift the colours. But in the case of RGO it might be enough to have alternate HUD icon colouration.
The throttle on gamepad keeps throwing me, the lower button to decrease is higher on the gamepad than the one to decrease so I do exactly the same thing as viper and crash into mines.
Unless I'm missing something the second stick doesn't seem like an advantage (not anymore than a rudder) so I'm increasingly leaning towards buying a new stick if I can figure out which one.

I might do a T.Flight HOTAS 4 (Thrustmaster) because I'm actually planning to play primarily on PS4 (saving the campaign for that - my console setup is just much nicer at this point both video and audio wise) and that one is compatible with both PC and PS4. (I bought a PC copy primarily to play around with it until PS4 version is out and also for the awesome ship painter). That's assuming the PS4 version has support for it, but I'm guessing it will. I actually have the T.Flight HOTAS X now (I guess the 4 is quite an improvement, especially the deadzone), and it's mapped pretty well for RGO already - I just made a few small changes.

I do like think they did a great job with the gamepad experience - the one thing I really miss, like you guys, is an analog throttle - there's just no comparison to the control it gives you over buttons with preset increase/decrease amounts. I think that's where autopursuit is the most useful, honestly - because it also throttles you down. I like autopursuit, but it does feel a bit too much like cheating so far...but I might get used to it haha. My other gamepad difficulty is the afterburner, simply because it's hard to hold that down and pilot smoothly, so a HOTAS also fixes that issue. But, you lose the vibration/force feedback since they don't really make sticks like that anymore.

One change I'd really like to see is being able to switch the primary functions of the D-Pad (controller) or hat (HOTAS). As it stands, the D-Pad's primary functions (left, up, right) are cycle weapon, link/staggered fire toggle, and cycle missile. Whereas with context (left shoulder button, or throttle rocker button) pressed, that turns into previous target, nearest hostile, next target. I use the latter functions FAR more, so I'd love to be able to switch it so it does those functions by default and the other functions when the context button is pressed instead. That would improve the control scheme a whole lot for the way I play, as right now I'm constantly accidentally unlinking my guns instead of scrolling through targets like I want.

I'd also like to see an option for controllers to turn the right stick up/down (which is unmapped by default) into an analog-type throttle. You can assign it to throttle functions now, but it acts as a button (you have to nudge it up and down four times to get it to 100%) instead of continuous.

That said, many on the Discord have come up with really handy functions for the up/down right stick for now. Binding up to nearest hostile and down to dump power to shields is really useful.

Finally, I'd like to see multi-controller support both on PC and (more importantly for me) PS4. It'd be awesome if I could use a stick for flight and a controller for things like 8-ball and Star-Venger and seemlessly switch between the two.

Anyways, minor personal preferences that I'm hoping will eventually be addressed but will learn to work around if not. They just released a new patch (1.07) that added some more control options and sorted them a bit better in the menus as well as fixing a bunch of bugs, by the way.

I have my old Logitech Force 3D Pro sitting on the corner of my desk taunting me but I've not tried it yet as the sucker is very twitchy in it's old age. I am getting much better in dealing with the controls (as default) on my gamepad, now it's mastering the radial menu and accessing the menu instead of changing my power distribution.

But back to the vision issue I mentioned. I was playing this morning (thank you weather for not letting me do what I needed to first thing) and reliving my WC1 days parked behind a pirate cap ship taking it out via it's engines. When it lit up and I saw everything on the sensor display it just suddenly clicked in my brain and eyes and I figured out the subtle, to me, differences in the looks between the various debris, the dreaded magna mines, contraband cargo, and legit cargo.

I really am falling back into privateer tendencies playing this game. I land. Do repairs. Think I'm broke, and then as I lament all of the things I needed to upgrade 'oh yeah. you have a cargo hold full of loot you picked up. Yes, you wont' make the most money off of it at this base, but you didn't buy it so who cares free money. Now buy that new armor and ecm unit.' Also have lost a lot of credits playing pool and poker dice.

Also puttering around the starter system like I would in Troy back in the day. What I'm really looking forward to doing, is using the gear and go asteroid mining, but I'm waiting to do that until after I upgrade to something other than the platypus. I know I should break down and by the jump drive and expand, not to mention do more than the first plot mission. But I'm having enough fun that I don't care.

Bought it!
Great game.
It is like playing Privateer, waiting for a propper TC.

Good to see you Ghost!

People have already started to post RGO ships painted in Confed schemes. I'm sure that's just the beginning!

Good to see you Ghost!

People have already started to post RGO ships painted in Confed schemes. I'm sure that's just the beginning!

Hi Chris!

Indeed, just donwloaded the Confed paint for Sonora. There is a lovely Rapier paint for Coyote too.

Hi Howard!

Any news about the release of the tool kit?

Do you hang in Reddit and the Facebook RGO group?

I'm in there occasionally - I mostly haunt the Discord like the ghost of a starved Victorian orphan. The modkit will come after the Ps4 and Switch releases. :D

Can’t say enough great things about this so I’ll keep it short. Hands down the most hooked in a space I’ve been since Privateer. Dusted off the old CH Combat Stick and keyboard and the longer I play it the more I love it. This was really what I was hoping CR was gonna make with Star Citizen. So incredibly lucky to have such a quality game like this drop out of the sky in a time where having a flight stick meant only playing games from the 90s lol. Cheers to the success of RGO! 🍻

This game actually has me wanting to play Privateer. I played Privateer 2 and most of the Wing Commanders but aside from a little bit with a friend as a kid, I actually never did play much of it! I'm waiting for the PS4 release of RGO to really focus on the campaign (though I'm enjoying playing around with the PC release and I intend to work on ship painting at some point), so I may just have to play Privateer first. [It's been on my list - one of those things I just never got around to.]

I've greatly enjoyed what I've played of the game so far. I started out following my basic plan from Privateer (stay in the first system, build up a decent amount of cash before venturing out) and I've since upgraded to a new ship and finally got a jump drive...but haven't used it just yet. And I've only done a few plot missions.

It's been a lot of fun getting out into the space lanes. It definitely oozes that Privateer feel and the combat is engaging. Great work, Howie and team!

I've greatly enjoyed what I've played of the game so far. I started out following my basic plan from Privateer (stay in the first system, build up a decent amount of cash before venturing out) and I've since upgraded to a new ship and finally got a jump drive...but haven't used it just yet. And I've only done a few plot missions.

It's been a lot of fun getting out into the space lanes. It definitely oozes that Privateer feel and the combat is engaging. Great work, Howie and team!

It’s funny cuz I did the same thing I did in Privateer too. I did just enough jobs to pay for my jump drive then immediately jumped to the next system where I got blasted out of the sky at the other end of the jump gate. Then I stayed back in the og system to upgrade my ship for a while before continuing on. I’m now about 6-7 main missions in with a bazillion bounties to my name and tons of jobs done. The wingman aspect is great! My ship is a powerhouse now and I’m finally ready to start plowing through the story. No matter how powerful I am though if I get lazy in a fight I get owned for it and I love that. The music is great too!

Back