Rebel Galaxy Outlaw!

Preordered, I haven't been this excited about a release in decades.

Even the HUD looks hugely Wing Commander inspired; is Travis as big a wingnut as you howie?

Last edited:
We've had reports of people finishing the game in anywhere between 45 and 60 hours. It's highly dependent on how many side missions and side paths you chose to take.

Tons of variation in the side missions - and I don't even know all of them. As for choice mechanics - Yes, everything from which o 9 ships to fly, the loads of those ships, all the equipment on them, the activities you can do with them - everything from cargo hauling, mining or piracy. You can choose who your wingman is, you can choose to purchase an asteroid base and turn it into your own little city. There's a ton of stuff to do.

How accessible would the game be to modding, may I ask? You people cannot, for obvious reasons, get Wing Commander ships in the vanilla game, but there are people here sitting on a lot of such ships and who would be eager to tinker with the game and insert them. Hell, TBH, I'd probably spend a lot more time modding than playing.

Tons of variation in the side missions - and I don't even know all of them. As for choice mechanics - Yes, everything from which o 9 ships to fly, the loads of those ships, all the equipment on them, the activities you can do with them - everything from cargo hauling, mining or piracy. You can choose who your wingman is, you can choose to purchase an asteroid base and turn it into your own little city. There's a ton of stuff to do.
Awesome but I was referring to the story more than gameplay like can you choose what to say I'm a story nut more than anything. I come from adventure games like Monkey Island, Full Throttle, the dig, Grim Fandango stuff like that

Yep, there's a ton of story choices. As for modding, post-launch we're going to be releasing a modkit - just about everything will be modable. As for putting WC ships in...
That's sorta where we started. :p

Hate to be that guy... but now that the PC release date is set, any ideas about the console timeframe? :) I'd really really prefer an Xbox release, but I might just get a Switch to play this if the Xbox version is still in limbo.

Chris: The two console builds are at parity with the PC build and have been for a while. The issue is that Travis has to shepard them through the certification process of both SONY and Nintendo. We've worked with SONY before, and feel on familiar ground there. Nintendo, though? We have no real idea what that looks like. Hopefully it goes smoothly. As for an XBONE release, it's.. not likely, and if it happens it because Travis paid someone to do it for us. :)

@Howard Day Firstly, it looks amazing, and I already pre-orderd. Any plans to make the pirate ships flyable (If you're a pirate and can land on their bases)? I always wanted a Talon in the original, and it looks like that isn't possible in RGO either. What are my incentives to try the pirate life?

Sweet sweet cash. Pirate stations take in all those contraband items for a profit. You also get a different set of missions, like shakedowns and turf wars. It makes the game feel different, too - you're always sneaking around, avoiding the cops... really makes the stress levels increase.

Does anyone have any Joystick recommendations? My old one has died.
The simpler the better, but it needs to play nicely with RGO.

I think the PS4 controller has built in support as well. And I tried my Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS and it works quite well too - the default keybindings are even pretty good.

That said, the developers highly recommend a controller. I'll probably end up playing the first time on a controller but may do a Pro play at some point using a stick.

My initial impressions - this is something special! I haven't felt this way about a space sim for what must be 20+ years... (I'm not taking away from some of the current hardcore sim projects - it's just I've realized I often don't have the time/patience for them, and it took this game for me to realize this is what I've really been hankering for as it's actually the closest thing to the Wing Commander and Privateer [as well as X-Wing] games in...forever.)

Very impressed. Heck, I need to fly more...I've even gotten addicted to the Bar minigames. ^.^

I guess I’ll stick with the XBox pad if that's what they recommend, I don’t know why but whilst I’ve adapted for every other genre I never really liked pad controls in space combat. Usually if I don’t have a stick I opt for mouse controls but without the onscreen cursor I’m struggling with those so I’ll take the developers advice.

Not had much time for it yet. It’s so close to Wing Commander that I’m noticing the differences more than the similarities if that makes any sense.
When a control mapping isn’t what I expect, or the text selection in place of hotspots. I’m going to need to sit down with it for a few hours and shake all my prepconceptions. Maybe at the weekend.

Last edited:
There's nothing saying you can't play with a stick! The stick controls are very good from my brief time testing it! BUT, after listening to some of the people on their Discord who are Wingnuts and have tried different methods swearing by controller as being preferred, I decided I'd play the recommended way (gamepad) first using the assists, then maybe playthrough again with a stick without the assists if I want to do a hardcore run. I think it's more of the fact they have a really good controller layout going, but that doesn't mean stick is unplayable. A lot of Twitchers I've seen streaming have played with joysticks or even dual stick setups and loved it.

Watching that introduction video was key. I'm enjoying it a lot more now.

Only niggle so far is that I wish the difficulty didn't lump in the assists with the starting equipment, I'd have definitely have preferred a mix and match.

From my understanding, the only real differences to difficulty settings are in fact the assists. I don't think, from what has been said, enemy AI or stats get any buffs regardless of difficulty. It's just Normal with all assists + better starting equipment, Veteran (same as normal, but worse starting equipment), then Sim which turns off the flight assist but still has aim assist, and finally Old School which turns off all assists. The latter two also lock you to 1st person. Oh, and one other setting in the menus, where if you're playing on Normal or Veteran, you can have autoaim only work when autotracking a target and not the rest of the time. This covers quite a few configurations, though not every combination, but maybe what you're looking for is one of those. It's definitely a pretty unique approach to difficulty selection compared to most games!

Back