Rare Version of WC1 Appears to Show Hunter's Prerelease Name (May 1, 2018)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Avid Wing Commander collector Christian Klein has found another rare artifact. He managed to locate a British copy of the game on 5.25" low density disks that may be an earlier release than the mass produced copy most of us are familiar with. In it, Hunter is named "Dart," which we know was an original placeholder name for the character. The first screenshot below shows this, and the second is from the British 3.5" high density disk release. LOAF points out that the name change came late in development, and both Hunter and Maniac actually have "Dart" and "Joker" nameplates on their helmets in all versions of the final game!

--
Original update published on May 1, 2018

Small note guys, there was no "low density", the discs you are referring to are technically referred to as 5,25 DS/DD, Double Sided/Double Density.
There was no "single", standard or "low" density for 5,25(there was for 8" floppies). There was a quad density(never encountered one), and a high density(I still have that drive bubblewrapped in my basement).

I know I am repeating myself but I think it's really great that after all these years there are still such things to discover. This made my day (though it's already fairly late here, so...).

Small note guys, there was no "low density", the discs you are referring to are technically referred to as 5,25 DS/DD, Double Sided/Double Density.
There was no "single", standard or "low" density for 5,25(there was for 8" floppies). There was a quad density(never encountered one), and a high density(I still have that drive bubblewrapped in my basement).

No hard feelings ;).

20180412_180212.jpg

20180412_180124.jpg

You do realize that this is 3,5 inch diskette format, and not the 5.25?

And I was talking about industry standards, not about a standard defined by some marketing yahoo, if I ask a teenage girl today what a VPN is, she'll say it is for masking your internet traffic while downloading illegally... technically that is a proxy, but she'll call it VPN because that is what her frienfs call it. There is no "low density", if you came up with an industrial standard, would you call it low by default just because someone else might improve it?

Last edited:
There is no "low density", if you came up with an industrial standard, would you call it low by default just because someone else might improve it?

Though perhaps not the case here, there's plenty of situations where a product could get a "low" name. A standard could be renamed when a higher density came around, or the people making the low could have also been working on the high that they knew was coming out later. It actually wouldn't even have to be later. The high could have preceded the low and the low could have followed (although less capacity, it could have been lower cost).

Back