Question concerning WCSO Mission Builder

Triple-B

Rear Admiral
Hey Folks,

I have just experimented with the mission builder of hcl. When I successfully made the tutorial mission, however several question came up

1.) how do write simtext files?

2.) how can use fanmade ships, like the hellcat or a wc 3 style carrier in the mission builder?

3.) how do you make ingame videos ( like the WCSO intro)

4.) how do you set a point of time for these videos? ( e.g. movie is played, when entering nav 1)

5.) how do you change the color of background nebula and planets?

I just wanted to make a easy campaign like the primarch did :)

please help

Those in game videos i think are there own separate file and u tell the camera what to shoot (I think)

ok i fooled arount wit the builder and i have got even more question

6.) how do you add pilots (like maniac for example) (secret ops mode) ?

7.) how do you change name of the pilots ( eg. amazon to ***) ?

8.) how do you I get kilrathipilots in the builder ( secret ops mode) ?

9.) how do I change the player pilot to someone else than casey?

10.) when setting "waves", I realized that wave 2 jumps in before wave 1 is destroyed. how can I give the command, that wave 2 should jump in, after wave 1 is destroyed?

11.) it appears that " autopilot" is on, even if there are enemies on the navpoint. how do I solve this problem?

12.) how is the ingame music changed ? is there for each slot a bounded music track?

The Mission Builder is something that there's not much known about it.....The Best thing todo is fiddle around with it for the most part... I don't use the Mission Builder. So I have no clue how it works....

use WC pascal to edit some of the missions but go here and check out a little bit of Killer Waves tutorial on what means what in the mission file

http://killerwave.solsector.net/Wcppas_Sample.htm

I thought about that too, but since I am usually not into programming, I better stick with the easy version first :(

Oh it's easy it's more like "Text Editing" just study a lil bit on the structure of what is what in the mission file and it should be easier for you to understand on how to change the missions easier ;) All your questions would be answered ;)

The thing you must keep in mind about the mission builder is that:

a) It is designed for simpler use, and therefore it is limited in its features. There's tons of things that can be done with WCPPas but not in the mission builder.
b) Nobody uses it. Nobody ever used it, except maybe Primarch (I'm not quite sure what tools he used).

What this means is that while the mission builder is a nice introduction to making WCP missions - but it's ultimately a dead end. If you want a visual mission editor that actually remains useful, try MED (with the caveat that nobody uses that, either). However, the only tool that anyone can actually help you with is WCPPas. That's not because it's necessarily the best tool ever - but it is the one that everyone (which, to be fair, encompasses a grand total of about three people :p ) uses.

ok, now what is MED ? and were can I get it.

I accept that the mission builder is quite limited, but primarch did a lot of things with it, he could make ingame sequences and simtext files.

ok, now what is MED ? and were can I get it.
Well, MED (Mission Editor) is the tool used at Origin for both WCP and SO. It was released on Captain Johnny's backup CDs. Someone (JasonRocZ?) also created a separate package that contained just the editor - this package is definitely more recommended, although it's worth taking a look at all the other stuff on the backup CDs. Offhand, I don't have a link to either the CDs or this package, though - if I have time later, I'll see if I can dig something up, but in the meantime, try searching the forum for info about it, and post if you find it.

I accept that the mission builder is quite limited, but primarch did a lot of things with it, he could make ingame sequences and simtext files.
Yep, it's definitely a good learning tool - especially if you're the kind of person who's willing to learn alone, reading the (very sparse) docs, looking at samples, and experimenting. Its main flaw, apart from its limitations, is simply the fact that you won't find anyone who knows it well enough to help you with anything.

I searched for the MED and found a manual to it, that is unfortunately handwritten and also a bad scan..

does someone know how to edit the simtext.eng files, or write them?

For that, you can use Thomas Bruckner's string editor. It's not too complicated - just open the string file using the string editor, and make whatever changes you need.

(...or you can use WCPPas)

ok, I think I got it with the Simtext.ENG :)

now I am asking for a favor:

does anyone have WCSO ship modell of a ranger class or similar carrier, that can be used as a capship in order to land on it? maybe even a wakeland class or something like that ( confed colors, please no ship name on the hull)

I tried killerwaves victory modell, but it appears that it is slight buggy ( when autopiloting, the players ship appears to be in the hangar and causes massive collision)

edit: i would appreciate also a ship pack ( other than in the files section), because I am planning and trying to do my own "primitve" mod with the mission builder.

Are you sure you set the autopilot coordinates correctly? You determine by yourself the distance from the player that the capship will fly at, so that bug you mention, it's most likely your own doing :).

so you think i should place the player a bit farther away from the capship in order to prevent this bug?

you were right, keeping a distance between player and cap ships evades the hangar autopilot.

unfortunately, player cannot land on the victory and the victory is labeled as victory :(

I need a different carrier :(

Most capships that are available out there do not support automatic landings - in fact, the only fan-made capships that do support automatic landings are the Lionheart and the Firekka from Standoff (I'm not even sure if other, generic Gilgameshes and Wake Island capships support it, we may have only added it to those two). We did have it figured out while working on UE... but because it only works on capships where you approach from the rear, we never bothered adding it.

Anyway - in order to allow automatic landings on a capship, you'd need to edit the capship itself, add a special component to it and so on. That's probably out of your league for the moment - but it's not something you actually need to worry about. Automatic landings are just one way of ending the mission. If you use the SF_Exit command, it does the exact same thing. You want to require the player to land first? No problem - you can even make things more interesting by requiring him to land manually. However, this will take a bit of scripting, and I'm not sure to what degree scripting is actually possible in the mission builder.

do I have to edit the e.g. s0.mis file ?

like putting in "SF_exit command" ? this will cause automatic landing, if even not checked in the mission builder? and the game will not crash?

can you provide me a cap ship (unlabeld) ?

I have no idea what you have to do - I've never (or at least, not since 2000!) used the mission builder, so I don't even know what options you have :).

you can choose in the builder between

1) landing on capship ( causes crashes, except for midway etc.)
2.) continue ( this will cause flying in circles on all navpoints)
3.) exit game ( at end of mission, you get thrown back to the sim)

does it help if I show you the hex of the s0.mis?

Right, then "exit game" is the equivalent of using the SF_Exit command in a mission script. Just do that, and you'll be fine - it's not quite as visually impressive as landing on a capship, but when you don't have a capship to land on...

Back