Problems? Post them here...

Yeah I typically never mess with the two sliders. There is really very little return in cranking them all the way up. The best things to fiddle with are AA and Max.

You also have to remember that just turning on HDR quadruples the GFX load. You need to find a balance. I feel like too many people are just cranking everything then wondering why the game crashes...it's because you are being greedy :p Tone it down a bit and you'll find the game still looks amazing.

I feel like the child walking into the room who interrupts the movie because they need their very own recap, but...

First of all, Standoff looks amazing! I've been an avid WC fan since the first game was released, and the original trilogy (especially 1 &2) were my favorite of the series, artistically. So when I stumbled upon your project (like I said, haven't kept up with current events), I was pretty excited. So the problem: can't get it to work!

Here's what I'm up against, and not being the most advanced computerologist, I'm hoping this is an easy fix for you guys, and I'll gladly take any heckling if it means I can get Standoff to work; I downloaded the setup, start it, and get the following message -

"Error reading setup initialization file."

My options are the following: clicking OK.

Frustration. I'm running on a laptop with 64x Vista, with an Intel chipset. My installation program is up to date, maybe it's a Windows compatibility issue?

If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd be grateful! Glad to be on the CIC!!

Hi, and welcome !

I'll do what I can to help you, and in exchange please tell me everything you'll have done to get it working; this way I may be able to make the installer(s) better for the other players :)

First: did you install Secret Ops before trying to run Standoff's setup ? Did you put a compatibility flag on the installer ? (shouldn't need any)

I experimented a few things with KrisV two days ago, and found out that some of the things my installer does doesn't work on Windows x64; specificly, it doesn't put the Win95 compatibility flag on standoff.exe. This will be fixed in Standoff's next version, to be released in a few days.

Ok, the newest patch allows me to run fine with everything maxed out, except bloom which still gives me a black screen when activated. However the main problem I'm having is that I started playing from the start since I installed and now that I got to the first mission of episode 5 (where you can pick the crossbow, rapier or sabre) the mission crashes at random times so I can't finish it. Tried with all free ships more than once and it keeps crashing so it must be something in the mission code I guess...

That is the 2nd mission in Ep5. The first is the Stiletto recon run.

I don't believe it is in that mission code. I tested all three variants over and over and over. It's something else.

When you say maxed out? Do you mean you have the sliders maxed as well? Try leaving them at the default settings in the middle. There is really no need to mess with either one of them. The default settings are more than enough.

No, I mean anti-alising, max anisotropy and the z-buffer. I haven't messed with the viewing distances. I tried reducing the anti-alising, max anisotropy and the z-buffer settings, but it still crashes over here. Maybe its the wsg and gsw files in the story and save game that got messed up somehow because of the update?

I feel like the child walking into the room who interrupts the movie because they need their very own recap, but...

First of all, Standoff looks amazing! I've been an avid WC fan since the first game was released, and the original trilogy (especially 1 &2) were my favorite of the series, artistically. So when I stumbled upon your project (like I said, haven't kept up with current events), I was pretty excited. So the problem: can't get it to work!

Here's what I'm up against, and not being the most advanced computerologist, I'm hoping this is an easy fix for you guys, and I'll gladly take any heckling if it means I can get Standoff to work; I downloaded the setup, start it, and get the following message -

"Error reading setup initialization file."

My options are the following: clicking OK.

Frustration. I'm running on a laptop with 64x Vista, with an Intel chipset. My installation program is up to date, maybe it's a Windows compatibility issue?

If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd be grateful! Glad to be on the CIC!!

Well... it sounds like a wrong download. Did you try and redownloaded the package? Also You have to install
Secret ops package, then standoff ep 1-4 and only then ep 5

Finally got around to actually downloading Standoff (I was celebrating the release by playing through all the WC games in plot order, and underestimated how long it would take me to beat WC1 Secret Missions) Dunno if this is standard for the CTD bug, but after it Cs to D Task Manager tells me Standoff is still running (and it's certainly being a total memory hog still), and I have to kill it manually.

It is known that in certain crash scenarios using OpenGL with Intel Integrated graphics the game doesn't close itself. Is it your case ? You use the Intel Integrated graphics ?

No, I have an ATI Radeon chipset, I think it's the X600. I have a slightly old version of Catalyst because the most recent one refused to install itself (the X600 being "legacy" as far as ATI are concerned - see here).

Well then, we'll just concentrate on getting rid of the crashes, so you don't have to kill the game manually :p

Could you describe where and how exactly you got that crash, so we can try to reproduce it ?

That's the same mission I had crashes on. I think what is the problem now that didn't occur before was the addition of 1 or 2 additional crossbows which seems to cause it crash with previously non-crash settings.

Well then, we'll just concentrate on getting rid of the crashes, so you don't have to kill the game manually :p

Could you describe where and how exactly you got that crash, so we can try to reproduce it ?

OK, it's happened twice I think, possibly three times. The first one (or two) were after multiple (2 or 3) attempts at Episode 1 Mission 4 (winning path, Storming the Rock), which is why I assumed this was the memory leak bug. The second (or third one) was at the end of Ep1, I think I beat M4 and M5 and then it did very strange things in the cutscene. An empty piece of space showed up and music was played, but no ships appeared and Bradshaw's narration didn't start for a long time. Eventually the Ep2 credits started to roll and the cutscene began, but the game crashed to desktop without terminating as the Kilrathi fleet started opening fire. No error messages or anything.

(I have started quitting after every mission now, so I doubt it'll recur)

Humm... I think the crashes you're describing were supposed to be fixed in the patches we issued through autoupdate. What version of Standoff are you running ?

Standoff's Launcher says 1.28, which is I think the most current one. Autoupdate certainly launches itself and does things when I run Standoff every so often, including yesterday.

Back