Privateer 3??

Thanx Manic and LeHaha, for the vote of confidence.

Kris, like Manic said: why stop here? and why so incredibly sure that no matter what you try nothing wil happen on the EA side?

As for the reality pill, i was indeed aiming for about 500,000 to 700,000 votes and dang, you gotta start SOMEwhere!

It's exactly your defaitistic "no, it ain't gonna work" attitude that causes other people to look at our boards with a sneer and not take us seriously. Pity cuz I think you a damn good administrator. Maybe a Reality Pill too many, tho. Sometimes you gotta chase those dreams, even if it's only to be sure you'll never manage and won't have to think "what if..." later on.

And why not take us seriously? Hey, as I have seen we got some great projects going on. And check out all the other WC board memners and administrators visiting this board for news and whatnots.

If you get 700,000 people to vote here, the only thing you're going to get out of it is a big fat server bill from me.

Kris, it was a rhetoric, but I'm sure you figured that out. If I could get 700,000 sigs, we wouldn't need a server, now would we. :)

Good grief, Kris, you're really bent on being a complete ass today... what's wrong, can't stand a bit of criticism? And no worries dearie, I won't bust your server... first of all YOU'll take care of that, and like we already said, we have to start somewhere, and carry it on.
So relax, sit back, take a Green Pill and I'll leave you to grunt and moan and whine with the rest of the gang.
Geez!
Why not use your administrator powers and kick me off the board altogether? As it seems I'm not able to make any positive contribution that might live up to your high and mighty standards anyways?
You sure know how to undermine one's enthousiasm.

Guys, is Kris a good standard for our average bulletin user, cuz in that case i'd better get outta here and check for a WC board with real and oldfashioned enthousiastic fans... pity, cuz I thought thte CIC had it

Storm, becareful what you say. If you have a complaint about an administrator, email him. Don't critisize something on the board.

Originally posted by LeHah
Don't critisize something on the board.

Now THAT is good advise for us ALL to heed!

And hey, that was no criticism on his administration, just personal as if it would be something between you and me. If that means he kicks me off the board, well, I guess that's personal too, then.

But ok, well, here we go again: another peace offering.
Kris, please don't be so glum and negative and i'll try and be a really good boy and be nice to you again, okay? no hard feelings

You do realize that there have only (tee hee... only) been 1 201 824 views of the main page since the CIC's creation, right? That's not 1 201 824 different people... that's main page loads... I view the main page at least once a day... and I've done that since the CIC opened... so I've viewed the main page at least 1000 times. So yes... 700 000 people is completely believable.

TC

memories...

You know, I've seen more of these "More WC games!" threads rise, and do you know what it reminds me of?

SIERRA.

Kings Quest
Space Quest
LS Larry
Police Quest (SWAT?! UGH!)
Quest For Glory

All these game series (and more) were enormously succesful. And by no known reason, Sierra fired the Cole couple (QFG series) The makers of the Space Quest series (2 guys from Andromeda) Kings quest went hilldown, Police quest stopped, and Larry halted.

Sierra gets taken over by the CUC company.

So, all those games which brought in millions of dollars and were popular all over the world, are halted. Sierra started making 3d-shoot em ups, bullride and golf simulations. "Cause that is what the market is after".

Right.

Think of Monkey island people.

But my main point is, there are still lots of sites where you can see people screaming "I want SQ7! I want KQ9!" Etcetera. Those games won't come back. So give me one good reason why EA (Not half as much influence as Sierra had) would bring one series of games back?

MTFBWY,

iMZ

Kings Quest got stupid at KQ7.

No idea what happened to Larry, though I seem to remember 5 sucking compared to 2 and 3.

Space Quest certainly still has life in it though, imo :) Great game.

There's a big difference in not releasing a game because it's rn out of life and because it's not marketable. Unfortuantely, companies now only care about the latter.

Originally posted by Stormbird
Guys, is Kris a good standard for our average bulletin user, cuz in that case i'd better get outta here and check for a WC board with real and oldfashioned enthousiastic fans... pity, cuz I thought thte CIC had it
So when you disagree with me, you're being constructive, but when I disagree with you, I'm an asshole? This is one of those "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!" moments.

about this petition...
i think it's something that we could and should do. but there has to be some way to make sure that each vote is unique... like what if some crazed member of our upstanding board voted like a 1000 times for a new Privateer/WC game?

we just need to stop being so negative/defeated and take some action (still no reply from EA...)

Each vote on the board is unique, you can only vote once.

It should also be noted that WESDSCERPR showed us just how much people care. It took a lot of effort from the team and 78 CIC news updates to get 500 people to send an e-mail with their name in it. It ran for 6 months too, I think (Quarto?). So we can deduce that you'll have your 700,000 votes in 700 years.

It might be a good idea to petition for eternal life first.

Wow. That makes really much hope to hear. So a big result. :(
What to move with 500 mails? Ea would have laughed about it. Or they did if it was ever sent. So like: 'Nice attempt'. Try it in some years again.
And for that it needed 6 months???? For 500 mails.....?

Originally posted by akashra
No idea what happened to Larry, though I seem to remember 5 sucking compared to 2 and 3.

Space Quest certainly still has life in it though, imo :) Great game.
Larry 5 and 6 were pretty bad (although they had their moments, the LSL5 airport announcer springs to mind), but 7 was good again. SQ6 was fantastic. Great game! I just love that announcer (Gary Owen, right).
But it just goes to show, that nowadays a lot of big corporations are forgetting what got them there in the first place.
Sierra used to be the King of adventure games, but heck, adventures aren't PS2 stuff so we'll just won't make them.

On another note, this thread seems to be going wildly wrong. I can see Kris' realism standpoint, but I can also see Stormbird's point of trying to keep the dream alive. Never shot is always a miss right. But why do you have to oppose eachother so fanatically? We're on the same side right?

"Can't we all just get along?"

I'm not opposing him just for the hell of it. People get carried away with these things, and then they get disappointed and angry at people for no reason when their efforts fail as expected. (cf certain comments made about David Swofford's polite and honest reply to an unrealistic request).

if you want to 'keep the dream alive', just stick around until the next game is released. It's all you can do, and it's far from pointless.

I didn't say you were. But there's really no harm in him trying. Maybe you know the effort is futile, you have been involved in such things. I know the effort is futile, I am a MS beta tester, so don't I know about people not listening (although I must say MS has been very cooperative in the WinXP beta).
But he apparently doesn't know that yet, and some people are just hardwired in having to find out everything for themselves.
Alright, 'nuff said.

And now we expect back the comment....of Stormbird.
Of course we have to be realistic, but even the belief in a new WC game is part of Stormbird's dream. So you agreed with him without even knowing it, Kris.
Little dreams are always allowed. And it was always standpoint here that we respect opinions of each other. Even
different opinions. So plase stop both that stupid arguement. It is pointless.
Kris has his standpoint and you have yours, Stormbird. So do you want to yell at each other till next week??? You both want peace. So why do you feel that damn need to discuss it out till the end? We know how the end will look like. You'll agree and get along so that you can have without posting more bad posts. You can have it immidiately. We all dream, because it keeps WC alive. The dream. But we have to be realistic, too.
So shake hands please (or let it) and get along. :)

the hand's extended, Kris
wasn't the message, more the words that drove over my long toes like a garbage pic-up

I know it's a damned long shot, I'm willing to take the disappointment if it doesn't work out. Like I said before, sometimes you gotta try catch the moon, just to be certain it isn't possible.

Just imagine how you'd feel at the new release of a WC game and you hear the comments of EA: "If only we had known there was still this much enthousiasm for the whole WC saga, we would have sped up the process ages ago"

PS sorry again for hard words Kris, something personal you couldn't know... seen people die on defaitism where a little believe and trust would have taken them through

PPS Unforgiven, I know about people not listening. i'm a project leader myself, have been beta tester and developer too. But I also know what happens when you stop arguing because "nobody's gonna listen anyways"

Back