Please Try Original Campaign

I figured out why the music didn't work for you ;-)
there was this pesky file called timidity.cfg in your priv/ directory

that file is death to midis!
to fix it type svn update in your priv/ dir :)
or delete that file (or both)

why are (were?) we including a timidity.cfg? As an example? SDL looks for it in certain places (in debian anyway) and /*whatever*/privateer isn't one of them :D

haven't noticed any clipping errors here. I would echo hellcats comment that the distance is given from the center of the object, but no objects that I can think of should have a radius of 3000.. You can dock at planets at a range of 2950 or so and have room to spare before colliding (lol) with it, and there really isn't anything significantly bigger than a planet. If you are colliding at 3000, it bodes some sort of problem.

Gah I have to get out of Colorado and away from using a dialup connection on someone else's computer..

hellcatv said:
when the game crashed what were the symptoms
did windows say "Vegastrike has generated errors and will be shut down" did it give you a chance to see which dll it had failed in.
What were you doing at the time? At base? Flying?

Landing.
My guess is that SS kicked in and hung.

When I've had hangs, SS is still loaded and "running," which causes a re-load issue. LONG wait for the game to load, only to find that SS is now loaded twice.

To be honest, I've noticed double loads of OTHER programmes in TaskMan when I've had system problems. Usually an orderly softboot fixes the problem. With this, SS has stayed flaky. I even tried running with nothing but my usual anti-spy software. ANd thinking about anti-spy, I MIGHT have to dig, but the telnet issue MIGHT be prevented by one of those.

hellcatv said:
I figured out why the music didn't work for you ;-)
there was this pesky file called timidity.cfg in your priv/ directory

that file is death to midis!
to fix it type svn update in your priv/ dir :)
or delete that file (or both)

Hrm. . .
It'll be faster to just rename timidity to timidity1.cfg and run it.
I'll get the latest copies of the derrs to you and I'll save them each crash/system hang from now on.

MamiyaOtaru said:
haven't noticed any clipping errors here. I would echo hellcats comment that the distance is given from the center of the object, but no objects that I can think of should have a radius of 3000.. You can dock at planets at a range of 2950 or so and have room to spare before colliding (lol) with it, and there really isn't anything significantly bigger than a planet. If you are colliding at 3000, it bodes some sort of problem.

Gah I have to get out of Colorado and away from using a dialup connection on someone else's computer..

Distance. I'll record them, and I'll do the outside the ship gig when I come in for a landing, WHEN I CAN. If I set the difficulty slider WAY down it will help. It seems that with it set at medium, I always have pirates on hand and I really never did learn to dog-fight outside of my cockpit -- assuming you can.

Umm, you really don't "BOUNCE" off a plannet, you go through it. That's how I knew I was hitting Helen when my targeting radar said 2700. I was in the clear again. Measuring distance from the centre? Well, the screen shows NOTHING but base ond or world and it's getting pixelated and my radar showed just under 3000. The next landing it looked normal. It seems to walk in on you over six or eight landings and then starts over.

Colorado. . .
When I lived there, I couldn't wait to get away. The first place I lived out there was Hudson. Then Slummit County, then Aurora, then Wheatridge and. . .

It seemed more like a police state than anything else. In the Metro Denver area, you DO have broadband, but at a price.

FRAME RATE
HellcatV, I HAVE noticed a frame rate issue,to co-incide with the fonts, now that you mentioned it. When at the launch pad. There is a breoadsword, I believe, that comes over the horizon. Darn does it move slowly. But if it went any faster, I think the searchlight would look a riot.

In battle the frame rate, not an issue. It's smooth, and actually FEELS right. Just the right inertial drift to coincide with thrust. Feels VERY GOOD there. The tarsus seems a bit more like a truck, which it SHOULD, but it's truck-like behaviour is VERY predictable and can be used to your advantage. Now if I just had a bit more firepower. . .

excellent...I have a new soundserver that should not hang Vega Strike.... it needs a new vegastrike.exe as welll

hopefully we can try it ... I have it all committed

Wendy said:
Umm, you really don't "BOUNCE" off a plannet, you go through it.
Which is why I had "(lol)" after "colliding" ;)
Colorado. . .
When I lived there, I couldn't wait to get away. ... In the Metro Denver area, you DO have broadband, but at a price.
I didn't mind it when I lived there years ago. I'm just here on "vacation" though. Once I get back home to Wyoming, I'll have broadband again.
When at the launch pad. There is a breoadsword, I believe, that comes over the horizon. Darn does it move slowly. But if it went any faster, I think the searchlight would look a riot.
the framerate on the landing pad isn't really a performance issue. It is simply a function of how many fps we choose for the animations. Each animation is also seperate. In other words, the broadsword (or galaxy, i think) could be made to move faster without speeding up the searchlight. Unfortunately, most of the animations are severely lackign in frames..

been running original story

yeah hi i am new to this forum but i am a big fan of Privateer and have been wanting to get another copy of it ever since my floppy disks no longer worked!

anyway I have been playing the original storyline and I have got as far as the blockade so far and everything seems to be working.

Are the ammounts of ammo meant to just depleat like they do cus they eventually just run and out and I have to restart the game to get any more Proton Torpedos

Anyway great work so far, I guess ther will be the potential to have new story lines added eventually?

I have forgotten how addictive this game is

nice work

MamiyaOtaru said:
It is simply a function of how many fps we choose for the animations. Each animation is also seperate. In other words, the broadsword (or galaxy, i think) could be made to move faster without speeding up the searchlight. Unfortunately, most of the animations are severely lackign in frames..

yeah, I could capture more for you, but to get more you really have to work at it. Then you really bloat the scene. It COULD be just what it looks like, SPACE, the final frontier, and that puppy is just barely making headway around a base. Looks fine to me. Just surprised me that it was going slower than I was used to seeing it.

I COULD, because it's a set of static images within the frame, do a series of cut and paste that would allow it to be faster, or slower etc. . . but why fix it if it ain't broke? At that would do is exercise my ego in playing with images, anyway.

If you drive by it on your way home, say Hi to Glendo for me. I LOVED going to the lake in the summers. made for a rather nice weekend.

W.

Wendy said:
yeah, I could capture more for you,
The thing is, we have all the frames. I don't mean frames are missing, just that many of the animations didn't have many frames to begin with. As you suggest below, one could create more by hand by editing the existing ones and placing the ship in between its position in two existing frames, but that would be a ton of work. It would need to be scaled as well.. I for one don't really feel like tackling that lol.
I COULD, because it's a set of static images within the frame, do a series of cut and paste that would allow it to be faster, or slower etc. . . but why fix it if it ain't broke? At that would do is exercise my ego in playing with images, anyway.
You can make animations faster or slower without adding frames (or taking them away). Simply change the framerate. All the animation sprites contain a list of the images used in the animation, as well as some numbers up at the top. Two of them are the dimensions (1 = a quarter of the screen) and the last two are the total number of frames, and the delay between each frame (in seconds). Something like 46 .20 (46 total frames, playing at 5 fps). To make an animation play faster, reduce the last number. In that example, drop it from .20 to .10 and it plays twice as fast. I'm not saying the ship on that landing pad needs to move faster, but changing two digits would accomplish it.

Yes, I was wondering about those background animations... so they really had that many frames in the original Privateer, and it's not an issue of converting things over for the remake? I guess they were working within the parameters of what they had.

Sometimes looking at the low frame-rate animations makes me play around with the idea of suggesting that you make new backgrounds based on the old ones (like the ones you have done so well with in the rest of Vegastrike), but that seems like asking an awful lot to me (it's so easy to be generous with other people's time and resources when I don't know how to make that kind of artwork myself ;)!). It does seem like just too much work, especially for guys who have already worked so hard to bring us this project at all.

To tell the truth, though, I don't really mind them the way they are now, although it would be cool if the flow was a little more fluid.

We're considering for 1.0 offering an option to make the backgrounds shrunken a bit in game... this would allow players who weren't hardcore privateer fans to enjoy the high dpi (but small) images ;-) of course we'd let bases be fullscreen for us regulars

Back