PlayStation WC3 on PS3

U

Unregistered

Hi. I've been trying to play WC3 on my 60 GB PS3, but when I get to the 2nd disc, I get "chunk errors" and "bus errors." Has anyone else experienced this? I've checked the disc for read errors and it came up fine. I'm trying to see if I can try it on a PS1, but it looks like I'll only be able to access a PS2. For that matter, does the game work correctly on the PS2? Thanks.

I'm sorry i do not have a playstation but you could try using a PSX emulator for PC.. see if it plays there... but if you have done a crc test then it isn't a data read error... so... my feeling is it could be the game itself. Sony advertise ps3 as being totally backward compatible... so I would contact them if you get no help here.

Thanks for responding. I used PlexTools which reported the disc as fine. I'm guessing the game was coded beyond the "specifications" of a PS1 game. Anyways, I've arranged for a memory card adapter and a PS2 system, so I'm going to try it out on that. Otherwise, I'll look into an emulator as you suggest. I'll report back in case anyone's interested.

Thanks for responding. I used PlexTools which reported the disc as fine. I'm guessing the game was coded beyond the "specifications" of a PS1 game. Anyways, I've arranged for a memory card adapter and a PS2 system, so I'm going to try it out on that. Otherwise, I'll look into an emulator as you suggest. I'll report back in case anyone's interested.

This is not correct, unfortunitly the port to PS1 was glitchy from the get-go. Random game crashes from disk to disk were not uncommon (i know I certainly had my fair share). The best thing you can do before challenging flash to a sim battle is save the game. If it crashes, then just play the mission again. But unfortunitly the truth is that the Wc3 PS1 port was glitchy, so you're getting a port of a glitchy port on the PSP.

Well, I don't know anything about playing on a PSP, but to be clear, I'm talking about playing the original PS1 WC3 discs on a 60GB PS3. And the crashes I have on the carrier aren't random; they occur every time. The one's in the destroy capship missiles/rescue Flint missions are unpredictable though.

Anyways, using the memory card adapter and a PS1 memory card, I took my save file to my friend's 80GB PS3 and tried it there. Same "chunk not found" and "bus errors." I bet you'd get the same issues on a PS3 slim since I believe the PS1 emulation is done through software so should be universal across all PS3 configurations. However, after trying my save on his PS2, I had no issues, thus I am prepared to conclude that the problem is with the PS3's PS1 emulation. As a poster has mentioned, the PS1 port was glitchy and probably does not conform to PS1 specs, but maybe Sony can make their emulation more robust.

Anyways, I've brought back the save file that passes this mission back to my PS3 and will try to continue the game from there. I'll post if I continue to encounter errors.

Now in addition to the bus errors, I get an error where the game just froze on one of the LOADING screens. It's strange that the game worked till this point but now no longer works.

Probably the disc is fine, but the drives are not. The PS2 drive is notoriously flaky (as would be the PSX). The PS3 drive should be better, and if it's a 60GB, it should be a launch unit (with the PS2 hardware) which should have a decent drive. (But that's a guess, if it's a later unit, it may have crappier drives).

I would possibly suggest cleaning your PS3's drive if you can - perhaps dust and such has gotten in there.

Blueray and DVD/CD playback use different lenses (AFAIK), and i do not know of any "cleaning CD's" fit for blueray and CD/DVD. Ever played other PS1 games on your PS3?

Yes, I had gone through Wing Commander IV (with the PS1 discs) and played some PS1 Final Fantasy games. It' really that the game failed on my friend's PS3 (80GB) that led me to conclude to an emulation error. I would like to try it out on a PS3 slim though.

I don't have a PS/3 but i do have a Home theater system running an emulator, I can run WC3, but not WC4(I needed to rip the original CD's because the emulator does not support running CD's natively), WC3 is running perfectly, but WC4PS1 version does not even boot up, I'm more then happy with the DVD version anyway, so no big loss.

You've played through the entire game with the emulator? Also, do you happen to know if the emulator is the one by Connectix that is speculated to be the basis of the PS3's PS1 emulation?

I used X-port, WC3 runs fine, WC4 does not, in whater mode I put it. But you can get it as a download for five bucks or so.

The blu-ray drive has two lenses, and most cleaning discs will just clean any and all lenses.

Anyhow, even if cleaning discs only worked on one, you want to clean the CD/DVD side anyhow.

And for PSX emulators, there's also ePSXe (for Windows), and PCSX, both of which are pretty good...

My PS3 got the YLOD, so I got a slim in the meantime. Turns out the game works fine there. So not sure exactly what the problem is, although the drive in the slim is definitely different. Gives credence to the dirty lens theory, although every other disc was fine and it failed in two different fat PS3s.

WC3 on PS3

For completeness, I thought I'd make this post. Note that I am the originator of this thread who probably should have registered for these forums a while ago.

I was incorrect that the game was working on the PS3 slim. It just happened to crash a few missions later. I did get a PS2 slim for all my PS2 games, and WC3 worked just fine on it. There were a few issues such as a very rare occurrence of the sound getting stuck at the start of a video sequence and the simulator flight against Flash being sped up, but nothing insurmountable. Maybe these issues have existed all along even when played on a PS1.

So in summary, I have not been able to play WC3 on either model of a PS3, but it plays fine on a PS2.

Mild spoiler ahead: With the ground missions removed from the PS1 version of WC4, I shouldn't have been surprised to see them replaced with video sequences for WC3. Strange that the climactic moment in the war is played out out of your control. Makes the last few missions a lot easier than I remember on the PC version.

Mild spoiler ahead: With the ground missions removed from the PS1 version of WC4, I shouldn't have been surprised to see them replaced with video sequences for WC3. Strange that the climactic moment in the war is played out out of your control. Makes the last few missions a lot easier than I remember on the PC version.

They are some pretty darn cool computer generated scenes though, and you still get a big final shootout with Thrakhath (and Hobbes).

i didnt know they made a WC3 version for Playstaion...i know WC4 is now availalbe for PSP..I still have to download that...

cool, does anyone know the link to getting the recent psp release...i just upgraded my memory chip....i heard it is a large download

Back