Names from the pilots.

Really? Then why is it that Blair gets to fly drunk in WC3?
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That particular mission was a scramble, and Blair didn't have time to run down to the doctor's office for the pill. Besides, even if he had, it wouldn't have kicked in till later (though not as much later as if there wasn't the adrenaline rush from combat).

As for taking the pill before getting bombed out of his skull (which btw isn't canon... no such scene, IIRC, in the novel, and since the game can go either way in this case the novel takes precedence), I don't think that was the top thing on his mind at the time, for some reason...

grin.gif

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Note that pilots only drink while off duty... which actually makes a lot of sense, given the things they have to do & see.

As for the pill -- it was an antihangover pill that he took *the next morning*... it didn't prevent drunkenness, and (as Blair notes) it didn't even actually prevent hsi hangover
smile.gif

They do have the green goop from Freedom Flight, but being Wing Commander Blair would presumably assume that he could fly without it
smile.gif
(And it *was* a scramble).

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Didn't anybody notice the smiley next to my post? By now, I know better than to bother with such insigificant things as anti-hangover pills
smile.gif

But personally, I don't see how drinking would help pilots. It only offers temporary relief. If pilots had to rely on booze to stay sane... Then I fear for the population of the WC Universe
smile.gif

That's good because it isn't.

It's just the most common portrayal of combat pilots that they are heavy drinkers, with wild personalities and have wreckless behavior patterns.

------------------
Don't look conspicuous-it draws fire.

I don't think they would actually do it often considering the method of getting them sober again that is described in the novels.
biggrin.gif

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

What is that?
Nighthawk, email me a list of beers brewed in your area sometime.

------------------
Don't look conspicuous-it draws fire.

Re: flying and drinking:

At leaast in today's military, the rules regarding flying is summed up by the slogan "24 hours between bottle and throttle." I'd assume that that's not as strictly enforced, in WC time, out in the fleet as it would be at current airbases, given the relative frequency of drinking we see in the WC games.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Death, there is that green goop thingy (I don't remember what it's called. It was given to Hunter in the novel FF). So Confed doesn't need the 24 hour rule.

------------------
Meson
Fleet Commander Homepage

Wing Commander is not just a game. It's a lifestyle.

Those whose eyes have seen shall not live to tell about it -- commercial for the American version of Gundam Wing

Correct, but remember how Hunter felt after that procedure!
smile.gif

I don't think pilots that had that treatment would be very effective in a bigger enemy encounter.

DH: After drinking too much of Firekka's Finest Hunter has to swallow this green goop stuff and gets three injections. The third one seems to be some pure caffeine since it is said that Hunter can't sleep for 14 hours while feeling utterly tired.
------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

[This message has been edited by Nighthawk (edited February 23, 2000).]

Back to the subj.

I have names and callsigns of pilots from WCP!!!!!!!!

Charles "Bishop" Karpiak
Milford "Bookworm" Wattley
Jack "BoomBoom" Kabeli
Timothy "Bullet" Bell
Theodore "Caveman" Barber
Renata "Comet" Drake
Christopher "Cowboy" Graf
Bradley "Drago" Patrick
Leonard "Duke" Cunningham
Chris "Falcon" Cummings
George "Giant" Booker
Kris "Goblin" Pelley
Hal "Hellion" Milton
Willian "Howdy" Van Horn
Josh "Jumpstart" Barnett
Wade "Kingpin" Swanson
Kemo "Kona" Maluaani
Jay "Lawyer" Fitzgerald
John "Majestic" Guentzel
Mark "Mustang" Vearrier
Darren "Mutant" Conrad
Toshiro "Ninja" Majumi
Damon "Nomad" Lane
Jonathan "Ogre" Crane
David "Pops" Williford
Ivan "Posse" Krotchevsky
Chris "Professor" Rankin
Franklin "Ranger" Costa
Randall "Rattler" Russell
Wendy "Redline" Akers
Grant "Rouge" McDaniel
Monique "Roulette" LeCroix
David "Royal" Edinburgh
Billy "Snake" Cain
Danielle "Sprite" McCumber
Steven "Stardust" Nash
Alton "Steel" Listich
Brian "Sultan" Sutton
Dana "Sunflower" Blankenship
Tara "Swan" Tomiko
Morgan "T-Bone" Crow
Robert "Twilight" Irving
Todd "Twitch" Gaffney
Angela "Veil" Hendrick
Lane "Viking" Boyd
Christopher "Warlord" Dybbuk
Andy "Wiley" Brunke
Caleb "Wyvern" Frost
Ryan "Zombie" Coolidge

Uff... That's all.
Enjoy!

Personally, I like Roulette for her battle cry.
smile.gif

------------------
Mikhail "Black Joker" Babloyan

Wing Commander in Russia

[This message has been edited by Black Joker (edited March 01, 2000).]

I think he wants "Names of pilots". This include "main" characters and redshirts also.

Personally I think your wingmates who will cover you during fight or make another jobs (like CAP and other 'not heroic' things) are important too.

------------------
Mikhail "Black Joker" Babloyan

Wing Commander in Russia

Black Joker said:
I think he wants "Names of pilots". This include "main" characters and redshirts also.

Personally I think your wingmates who will cover you during fight or make another jobs (like CAP and other 'not heroic' things) are important too.
Did you read the whole thread? He said that all he wants are the names of pilots, and Kilrathi in the games, or maybe that was in one of the e-mails he sent me. Nobody cares about the red shirts in Prophecy (until they die that is, than all fighters concentrate on you).

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Like that's a problem.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

No Regret said:
Like that's a problem.

It is if there are three Mantas nuking your ass, and you have no wingman to ask for help. Or better yet, three Devil Rays.
smile.gif

Then I still come out alive (and victorious). Pure Maniac-magic! And it's just Prophecy, remember?
wink.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

No Regret said:
Then I still come out alive (and victorious). Pure Maniac-magic! And it's just Prophecy, remember?
wink.gif

Taking on 3 Devil Rays at once while flying in something like a Tigershark isn't my idea of fun. In the Vampire yes, or the Black Wasp. 'Shark is a good ship, but it can't stand against hevay fighters like that. Besides, I brought the number 3 because at most 3 enemy fighters will target you at once in Prophecy (while on Nightmare), even if you kill them there will still be some more waiting for you. There's a helluva lot of Devil Rays in SO. In one mission while in the Black Vampire you have to go against two waves of 4 DR's, and there are some other enemy fighters around.

Back