Maybe it's just me...

*Originally posted by Quarto:
*So... if you don't use them, how can you say they're good?
smile.gif
I wouldn't mind the booth system if the "switch off animations" option actually did switch off animations. Even then though, I would prefer more interaction with humans... even if they're fake humans, consisting purely of pixels
smile.gif
.*

Of course I use them.
smile.gif
But that doesn’t change the fact that two or three seconds of the animations don’t waste my time.

*For one thing, it doesn't use the stupid "get it all in one place" idea. I mean, sure, that's what things are coming to with the internet and all that, but I think that most humans want to interact more with other humans, rather than less.*

Human interaction between ship dealers, guild master, and bartenders was very bad IMO. On most planets those people looked the same and were saying the same thing. I remember one bartender talking to me about a Kilrathi fleet disapearing from unknown reasons and than I must have heard that same thing on half dozen different planets from guys that looked vaugly familiar. I wouldn’t mind interacting with characters in P2 as long is it would be done better than in Priv.

*"It isn't boring when you have to fight off 5-8 fighters on 12 of them while flying in the Straith with the weakest guns available..." - It's even more boring then, because you waste so much time on each individual fighter.*

Um, no it’s not.
smile.gif
It was probably the most fighting I ever done in P2, and it was equaly enjoyable.

*"P2 is not supposed to be a sequel... it's not a sequel." - Wow. No offence, but that is THE absolutely dumbest thing I've heard all day... all year, even. If it wasn't a sequel, then it would have been called The Darkening (as was originally the case) instead of Privateer 2. The "2", btw, means "Sequel".*

Except it would be a sequel if it followed the story from P2 at least a little. I belive OSI said that P2 isn’t supposed to be a sequel.

*First of all, I'm not pissed about anything. I'm merely stating my disappointment with P2.
Secondly, P1 has some tactics. Why don't you go and take out a Dralthi using the Tarsus in its original config (1 laser cannon)... you can even use afterburners.
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]

What would that prove? Buying a better ship and new guns isn’t exactly what I mean by saying tactics.

Good luck. Come back here next week, when you're willing to admit that it's not just a matter of moving the cursor - you actually have to think (ergo, use tactics). Otherwise, even the measly Dralthi will have your head on a platter.

No, I could reap the Dralthi to shreds. The AI in Priv is even worse than in P2.

Thirdly, FS has lots and lots of tactics. In that aspect, it's just as good as WC (no numbers, because I mean the original WC which was the best in that particular aspect).

Where did you see any tactics in FS? I’m sorry, but I realy didn’t see anything like that in there.

"And Priv's gameplay was worse mainly because of the poor mission design." - Poor mission design? Whatever do you mean? And while we're at it, does P2 have good mission design?

Sure it does.
smile.gif
It’s random mission generator sucks, but the missions are much better than in Priv.

*Now THAT's BS. When was the last time you even thought of doing a Shelton Slide in P2?*

Actualy, I never use the Shelton Slide, only Autoslide. And if you recal that hasn’t been present in all of the maing games in the series.

*But if you were flying for real wouldn't you hand be much larger? That means there's a midget flying your fighter! You're just siting behind him and watching the fireworks.[/QUOTE]
I won't dignify that with an answer...*

I’m glad actualy.

Damn, I have to go, I’ll finish this later.

Last edited by a moderator:
You get autoslide in P2!?? Holy balls this is news to me. I never figuired any of the Privateer ships could autoslide...
smile.gif
All this time I though they just afterburn slid.

I thought we established the difference between autoslide and shelton slide. There is none, according to the KS manual. If I got the jist of it, they are when you deactivate the ramscoops and scoot along at whatever speed you were at when you activated the slide and continue on the same course no matter what direction you ship turns until you deactivate the slide. At that point, you may 'burn-slide slightly because of the sudden change of direction.

You're sure the Privateer 2 ships can shelton slide? I'm not, but then I no longer have the game.

Death's Head said:
You get autoslide in P2!?? Holy balls this is news to me. I never figuired any of the Privateer ships could autoslide...
smile.gif
All this time I though they just afterburn slid.

<<sigh>> I didn't say anything about autosliding in Priv, or P2.

I thought we established the difference between autoslide and shelton slide. There is none, according to the KS manual.
Not realy, we can't establish anything actualy. Although with what's said in the KS manual the Shelton slide would be now called the Afterburner slide, and the Autoslide would be called Shelto. However, I still prefer to use the old terms.
If I got the jist of it, they are when you deactivate the ramscoops and scoot along at whatever speed you were at when you activated the slide and continue on the same course no matter what direction you ship turns until you deactivate the slide. At that point, you may 'burn-slide slightly because of the sudden change of direction.
When you close the scoops your ships will continue increasing speed to things much larger than what we seen in any of the games, you will burn fuel extremly fast without collecting any fuel in return, and turning will be extremly limited.

You're sure the Privateer 2 ships can shelton slide? I'm not, but then I no longer have the game.

Again, I didn't say anything about P2 ships auotsliding or shelton sliding.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 30, 2000).]

But...
*Now THAT's BS. When was the last time you even thought of doing a Shelton Slide in P2?*
"Actualy, I never use the Shelton Slide, only Autoslide. And if you recal that hasn’t been present in all of the maing games in the series."
you said you autoslide in P2.

If Autoslide doesn't work by deactivating the scoops, then how does it work Earthworm? You make it sound like deactivating the scoops would leave you without fuel in no time, and you would hardly be able to turn, well that sounds like it is pretty much useless when we hear of the process used numerous times and the autoslide is used frequently by ace pilots.

Death's Head said:
But...
"Actualy, I never use the Shelton Slide, only Autoslide. And if you recal that hasn’t been present in all of the maing games in the series."

you said you autoslide in P2.
Um, you must be going blind cause there's nothing in there about me using autoslide in P2. I said I never use the Shelton, but I do use Autoslide. Meaning that I press caps lock in WC3-SO, but I don't do the Shelton like described in various manuals.

If Autoslide doesn't work by deactivating the scoops, then how does it work Earthworm? You make it sound like deactivating the scoops would leave you without fuel in no time, and you would hardly be able to turn, well that sounds like it is pretty much useless when we hear of the process used numerous times and the autoslide is used frequently by ace pilots.

Acording to the KS manual the Shelton slide (which in this case is obviously directed to the Autoslide since I doubt Maniac would be talking about turning your ships while it's still being caried by the forward momentum) works by switching on the velocity lock. Who told you that you have to close the scoops anyhow?

As usual, you answer my question with a question. That's no answer, you're avoiding the issue. How does autoslide work?

As for the other issue, which is about Privateer, what would you make the non-privateer reference for then? You never said anything about NOT using the slide in Privateer, so one might, just might assume you were talking about Privateer the whole time.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited March 30, 2000).]

Death's Head said:
As usual, you answer my question with a question. That's no answer, you're avoiding the issue. How does autoslide work?

Um, whatever you say. I told you what the KS manual says. That is a rather small explenation, but at least it proves that autoslide dosen't involve closing scoops. And that question is to find out who the hell gave you that idea.

As for the other issue, which is about Privateer, what would you make the non-privateer reference for then? You never said anything about NOT using the slide in Privateer, so one might, just might assume you were talking about Privateer the whole time.
smile.gif

I'm sorry, I just thought most people that played P2 and know that it doesen't have auto/shelton/afterburner/whatever slide would quickly see that what I meant. Wich was that when Quarto talked about using a Shelton slide in Priv2 I told him that I never use a Shelton slide, so why would I suddenly care about it in P2.

*Of course I use them. But that doesn’t change the fact that two or three seconds of the animations don’t waste my time.* - Ah, but I forget. You're not a Uni student. You still have this thing known as spare time.
smile.gif

*I wouldn’t mind interacting with characters in P2 as long is it would be done better than in Priv.* - I must agree. Origin got lazy when they were making Priv... then again, it would be crazy to expect them to make a hundred+ different bartenders, ship dealers, et al. What they really should have done is limited Priv to a single quadrant, and focus more on the details. As it was, they really wanted to make a vast game, and it sorta backfired on them in that aspect. But I still preferred the Priv system over the P2 booth system - which was a sign of even greater laziness.

*Except it would be a sequel if it followed the story from Priv at least a little. I belive OSI said that P2 isn’t supposed to be a sequel.* - if OSI said it, then fine. But that's something I won't believe until you provide a quote. That being the case, there are plenty of references to P2 being a continuation of Priv (look at the KSaga P2 trailer), even if they don't use the word sequel. Yes, I know what you mean when it comes to storyline, but there are plenty of series out there in which the individual games were hardly liked at all. Just take a look at the Eye of the Beholder series (possibly the greatest RPG ever). So, continuing the storyline isn't a requirement.

*What would that prove? Buying a better ship and new guns isn’t exactly what I mean by saying tactics.* - No, it wasn't what I mean either. What I do mean is that in a fight like that, following the Dralthi with your cursor and pressing the fire button will get you nowhere. You'll be deader than... than... than dead.

*No, I could reap the Dralthi to shreds.* - Go ahead. Be my guest.
smile.gif

*The AI in Priv is even worse than in P2.* - The AI in P2 is absolutely atrocious. There's nothing worse.
smile.gif

*Where did you see any tactics in FS? I’m sorry, but I realy didn’t see anything like that in there.* - Maybe it's just me then... but I like to actually think while flying, and it certainly does help in FS. It doesn't in P2. Oh, and that's the other thing I hate about P2. You can't get away from an encounter. Sure, if you get 3600 away, you're free to go on - but any old fighter can catch up with you. And unlike Priv, you can't manually fly to your destination.

*Sure it does. It’s random mission generator sucks, but the missions are much better than in Priv.* - How so? At least Priv missions had programmable events. Here, about all that happens is that you go somewhere, meet lots of enemy, and have to kill them all. There is no finesse.

*Actualy, I never use the Shelton Slide, only Autoslide. And if you recal that hasn’t been present in all of the maing games in the series.* - What? Shelton Slide has been there right since WC 1, whether you want to call it the Afterburner Slide or anything else. I just recently played through WC 1 again (sighs happily... surprised I found the time), and found that 90% of the time, either me or one of the AIs was sliding around. And it was bloody fun. That's why I'm more than irritated that P2's physics don't allow you to do anything like that. I don't think Priv did either, but that's no excuse.

You took a laser and cut him to pieces? I thought that a laser in WC would sooner blast a hole clean through a ship rather than cut it.

I'll have to counter with an Earthworm arguement...the game engine doesn't support cutting ships into pieces.

BTW, sure I played P2, uh when it came out, which was years ago. I wasn't too impressed with it and at the time I only had one computer and it didn't even make 66 mhz. I had to sell the game. Good thing I didn't pay real money for it.

Oh and I fail to see how Maniac's moronic little passage proves ramscoops weren't involved. What keeps the ship at a constant afterburning speed?? This is the WCU, I might add. Real physics need not apply at all times.

Back